Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Asus G73JH laptop video card swap?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 19, 2011 12:39:57 PM

Hello,
I have been searching the net for hours and haven't found any solid info on this. Hopefully someone can help? I am trying to find out if I can swap my ATI mobility radeon HD 5870 graphics card (which is on its way out) with an Nvidia Geforce GTX 460m. I have no warranty left whatsoever on my notebook and I am inside the case once a month to clean the dual fans. I have tinkered with all my old computers and notebooks in the past, replacing various things like ram, hard drives, and desktop graphics cards, so the difficulty of the job is not the issue, the issue is if it's even possible as far as physical fit? I tried looking at closeups of pics of the Nvidia card, but it's very hard to tell. Can someone help?
May 19, 2011 2:26:47 PM

Hello and welcome to the forums
May I ask why do you want to swap them ? 5870M is faster than 460M
Score
May 19, 2011 3:33:09 PM

Thank you for the response Maziar,

My graphics card is pretty fried, I cant play any games anymore because it overheats like crazy now. The paste is good, and the fans and heatsink are all in proper order. I may be biased here on my choice of Nvidia, because last time I owned a Radeon graphics card, it went dud on me as well, although for my desktop. The 460m comes in the new Asus G7xxx models now, so I thought it might fit in my G73, because it's the same case. I just dont know if it's the same motherboard and what not...
Score
Related resources
May 20, 2011 2:22:28 AM

I could be totally wrong about this so I think I should say that when I am gaming, within 10 minutes or less, vertical lines will come on the screen, the color depending on whatever was happening in the game right before it. Then it will crash the computer and all you can do is reset.
Score

Best solution

May 20, 2011 7:32:53 AM

That's a common problem between G73JH users,the best thing is to RMA it.
Anyway,I couldn't find any info about putting 460M in G73JH but I think it's possible
May 20, 2011 11:23:47 AM

Maziar said:
That's a common problem between G73JH users,the best thing is to RMA it.
Anyway,I couldn't find any info about putting 460M in G73JH but I think it's possible

Thanks for your time man :)  I also could not find info on the swap either. I will continue doing more troubleshooting options other than the replacement then, maybe I will find some more info. Thanks
Score
May 20, 2011 11:24:01 AM

Best answer selected by simpledood.
Score
May 20, 2011 6:58:02 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!