Graphics and Boot Crashes

thegrandpumba

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Hello Community,

I recently homebuilt a new system. Windows installed fine, all apps and games installed without issue. I can perform all mundane process like opening files, browsing web without issue. However I'm having crashes whenever most games or apps try to use higher end graphics settings. When it crashes and tries to boot back up it crashes/powers off a 2nd time during the boot sequence before it gets to bios or windows. After that 2nd crash/reboot it normally boots back to the windows logon screen.

All parts are new except the power supply. It's an older one I had from my last machine. I suspected it was the issue and tried another power supply i also had from a current machine. The same issue persists with both. I've also tried removing the gfx card and plugging my monitor directly into the motherboard with the same results.

Any help or clues would be greatly appreciated.

Parts (new):
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
Intel Core i7-2600K
Kingston HyperX 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 x3
ASUS ENGTX560 TI DCII/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (primary/boot partition)
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB (apps/game installs)
Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS 1TB (media)

Parts (old):
Thermaltake toughpower 750W (1st psu tried)
TOPOWER POWERBIRD TOP-1100W (2nd psu [currently using])

EDIT: 750w psu not 650w.

EDIT 2:
I saw some other threads about heat and the i7 2600k stock heatsink/fan. I tried removing the heatsink cleaning the cpu reapplying arctic silver and resetting the it. The machine now boots up and can run games for a while. The higher end games still crap out on me from time to time but the whole system doesn't power down.

I installed Core Temp as a recommendation from other threads. Idle temp in windows is around 40C. While I'm running most games the temps go up to 60-70C. Running Prime95 after about a few mins the cpu temps were still climbing to 90+ so it stopped program. Would this heat alone explain the symptoms I've been seeing? I've not intentionally overclocked anything, (figured the system was good enough stock for now) is there a way to test/reset options to make sure nothing is out of wack?

Additionally I plan to go buy a CoolerMaster or Zalman to swap out for the stock fan. Any recommendations either way?