Can't figure out how to Boot my MSI MOBO out of the case

bennetinc

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Hey guys, so I'm building my first build and I am using a msi z77a g43 motherboard. I am following the part 2 of Newegg's building tutorial on youtube. I am to the part around 14:30 where you need to boot the board outside of the case. Unfortunately I can't find the power prong that he shorts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because at the moment I have a 1300 dollar pile of silicon and wires that I can't test or see if it works.

Thanks,
Bennet

Check the manual.

Page 1-24

JFP1 pins 6-8

fp1n.png

Take care not to hit other pins as damage can happen.

I agree, check the motherboard manual.

Shorting the two pins for POWER is the same as pressing the button on the case which completes the circuit in the same manner.

To turn ON:
Temporarily short the two POWER pins.

*When you hook up the case connectors you will need to refer to this portion of your motherboard manual.

The + (PLUS) symbol usually lines up with the COLOURED cable, cable with a + on the end or a STRIPE.

BLACK is usually the GROUND or negative (-).

Yup basically just take a small screwdriver and touch both the positive and negative at the same time to short the switch and turn it on. Hold it down for 10 seconds to turn it off. Works like a charm. Don't man-handle your board with a screwdriver though.

bennetinc

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Thanks guys I got it working. Now I only have two more problems. My heatsink (it's the stock intel) keeps starting up and then slowing down. Also I have an HDMI cable running into a monitor/tv out of my gtx 670. The 670 is in my pci e 3 slot. I am getting no signal out of the monitor however the fan on my videocard is running. Anymore help would be awesome.

Thanks guys,
Bennet

bennetinc

Honorable
May 14, 2012
I don't think so, is there any other way to do it. If having a dvi cable is the only way I doubt many first timers would be able to do it. ?? Can I use my mother boards onboard graphics with a vga cable, to then configure it so I can use HDMI.

Yeah try that.

I still have never had a GPU display the HDMI slot out of the box. It works great for a 2nd monitor though. I could be wrong but in the experience I've had with it on mine and other computers the problem was always the HDMI and not defective hardware.