Your question

Help me fix my PC before BF3 releases!

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
October 23, 2011 5:06:25 PM

Hi,
I am having some problems with my machine restarting at random and some games (but not all) crashing. Here is my setup:

i7 950 @ 3.7
12 Gig Corsair DDR3 1600
MSI X58
2 x EVGA GTX 570 SLI
OCZ Vertex SSD
2 samsung 1 TB HDD
3D Vision
OCZ GameXstream 850W PSU
Coolermaster HAFX

At first I thought that it may be faulty RAM, tried memtest and all is good (tested 1 stick at a time and all together)
Deus Ex HR & Just Cause 2 crash after between 1 - 10 mins of play, Windows experience index restarts the machine before completing.

I have tried each 570 on its own (other card removed) and WEI completes correctly, Furmark and Unigene engine both work fine with SLI activated.

I have removed the OC from my CPU but it does not make any difference, CPU is fine for hours running Prime95 and temps are good.

All games and benchmarks work fine with only one card installed, some games work fine with 2 cards installed. Im thinking it must be a power supply issue but just wanted to get some opinions before buying a 1000W PSU.

Thanks

More about : fix bf3 releases

a b ) Power supply
October 23, 2011 5:26:22 PM

And the GPU temps are also good in SLI? Do each card have fine temps individually? What exact motherboard are you using?

From your description it could be that the top card is overheating due to lack of space between the cards, so the top one has no fresh air to breathe, or it could also be a driver problem ( test temperatures first).

Try moving the second card to the third PCIE slot ( if any)
October 23, 2011 5:28:39 PM

I was going to say try re-installing drivers, very cleanly. Delete all previous files before installing new ones, (I know thats a problem with AMD). I actually had this problem over the last two days and fixed it with a driver reinstall. (Using two 5770's though).
Related resources
a c 275 ) Power supply
October 23, 2011 5:32:18 PM

Well unless your psu is on it's way out you have enough power for your specs.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-570-sli-revie...
I agree with wiinippongamer analysis regarding heat and card placement.
Gpu drivers are notorious for screwing things up.
Lost count of how many times i've changed driver versions for game stability.
Download DriverSweeper and give those gpu drivers a good enema in safemode.
http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html
Dump them in add/remove first
Then proceed to safemode and follow up with DS.
October 23, 2011 7:53:35 PM

davcon said:
Well unless your psu is on it's way out you have enough power for your specs.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-570-sli-revie...
I agree with wiinippongamer analysis regarding heat and card placement.
Gpu drivers are notorious for screwing things up.
Lost count of how many times i've changed driver versions for game stability.
Download DriverSweeper and give those gpu drivers a good enema in safemode.
http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html
Dump them in add/remove first
Then proceed to safemode and follow up with DS.

Hi, I have removed my drivers and used driver sweeper but WEI still shutsdown my pc. GPU temps are fine, I ran Furmark for 10 mins and the top card was 75C the lower card 72C (peak).

I can't move my lower card to a different slot because my sli bridge will not fit, I have a 3 slot MSI x58A GD65 board with the cards in slot 1 & 3.

Furmark does not run smooth (but im not sure it ever does)

Is the GPU usage normal in my link? Why does it spike during a furmark stress test? surely it should be constant.

a b ) Power supply
October 23, 2011 8:13:33 PM

Furmark never runs smooth( it stutters), but it should be 98-99% usage all the time, those spikes even below 50% then back to 100 certainly ain't normal.

It could be one of the slots that is faulty, try both cards individually in different slots.

Also try updating mobo BIOS to latest version. If that doesn't get it right try a clean install.

Other thing I can think of is your PSU starting to die, but rule out all other stuff first.

It could even be just a faulty SLI bridge, buy a different one and it solves it then you're lucky.
October 23, 2011 8:34:20 PM

I have a feeling it is the X58 motherboard not being able to provide the juice due to a dying power supply.

The others are correct about allowing the top card room to breathe, that card will get hot first. A work around if you are using Nvidia Control Center is to assign the top card to Phys X and that will force your computer to use the bottom card to do the work where it is cooler.

The only other thing I can think of is power, power and more power. Double check your connections on the entire motherboard carefully and add up the wattage etc.

Remove any overclocks you may have in anything.

I am not ready yet to say either the board is not providing adequate juice to the cards or the cards are simply getting too hot. Your list of 75 degree C is a clue. My 580s top out at 60C and by then the fan profile I have on is hitting 100% to hold em at 58 or so in the hottest of battles.

Throwing parts at the problem will get you no where except maybe a new computer.

My last thought is to format and install onto just one hard drive a clean windows with nothing else on it and try to run WEI.

You don't have to do anything to your existing computer other than unplugging all your drives and zip tying them out of the way. (Be sure to tag one at a time which drive they are on before you unplug) that way you can simply slap a empty disk and do a quick and dirty win install and go from there.

If it shuts down while installing, then I will say power. But is the board inadequate or is your PSU dying? Or worse, the GPU's are going.
October 23, 2011 8:48:56 PM

x Heavy said:
I have a feeling it is the X58 motherboard not being able to provide the juice due to a dying power supply.

The others are correct about allowing the top card room to breathe, that card will get hot first. A work around if you are using Nvidia Control Center is to assign the top card to Phys X and that will force your computer to use the bottom card to do the work where it is cooler.

The only other thing I can think of is power, power and more power. Double check your connections on the entire motherboard carefully and add up the wattage etc.

Remove any overclocks you may have in anything.

I am not ready yet to say either the board is not providing adequate juice to the cards or the cards are simply getting too hot. Your list of 75 degree C is a clue. My 580s top out at 60C and by then the fan profile I have on is hitting 100% to hold em at 58 or so in the hottest of battles.

Throwing parts at the problem will get you no where except maybe a new computer.

My last thought is to format and install onto just one hard drive a clean windows with nothing else on it and try to run WEI.

You don't have to do anything to your existing computer other than unplugging all your drives and zip tying them out of the way. (Be sure to tag one at a time which drive they are on before you unplug) that way you can simply slap a empty disk and do a quick and dirty win install and go from there.

If it shuts down while installing, then I will say power. But is the board inadequate or is your PSU dying? Or worse, the GPU's are going.

I have moved my lower card to slot 2 and tested again, the cards are almost touching now and the top card is getting very hot, I ended furmark at 82C.

I have another screenshot of the gpu usage

https://skydrive.live.com/?ppud=4#!/?cid=2c2a6fa288ecfc21&sc=documents&uc=1&id=2C2A6FA288ECFC21%21102!cid=2C2A6FA288ECFC21&id=2C2A6FA288ECFC21%21104&sc=documents

1 card seems to have normal usage, the second one does not. Both cards have normal usaged when tried one at a time.

I don't think 75C in furmark is too high, in games its normally around 60-65 which i think is ok.

WEI runs fine with 2 cards in but SLI disabled. Im beginning to think power supply but am confused, surely the pc would shut down during a furmark stress test????
October 23, 2011 9:17:05 PM

On my machine if my CPU exceeds 85C, the system will shut down to prevent thermal damage automatically.

Pulling the files of your dump files and reviewing them with a appropriate debugger might point you in the right direction after a shutdown. I sometimes use whocrashedme off google that points me in a general direction with software errors.

The fastest way to kill a computer is to take the CPU cooler off and turn it on for a few seconds. POOF.

Thinking further, how is your Cooling Paste like aortic silver doing these days?
a b ) Power supply
October 23, 2011 9:28:01 PM

75c in furmark for a gtx570 is totally fine, gtx580 only runs cooler because nvidia cheated restricting thew usage when it detects furmark.

Did you try each card on both the firs and third slots?
October 24, 2011 7:42:26 AM

I will try each card in the 3rd slot tonight after work, both cards work fine in slot 1. I have a spare drive so im going to do a fresh install and see if I have any luck.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, but if I don't have any luck tonight im going to have to buy a new PSU to test any further, I could always sell it on ebay if its not needed.

CPU temps are fine, 65C in prime 95 so I know that is not the issue. I have also tried at stock speeds and it makes no difference.
October 24, 2011 7:56:28 AM

if you have overclocked, or been playing with overclock programs, some registry files need to get deleted (cleaned) after they are uninstalled, sometimes these programs also play with voltages etc., best is to clean your system and then return bios to default cores/voltages (including ram), also check the voltages if they are correct after all of that, don't play with voltages if you're not sure about them, most of the time it's correct (including ram voltages).
October 24, 2011 5:29:33 PM

Hi Guys,
I have set all my voltages to stock and removed by oc, done a fresh install of windows. Both cards are in confirmed working slots.

WEI still shuts down my pc, not sure what else I can try.

I think I will have to try another PSU

Any other suggestions?
October 24, 2011 5:58:00 PM

No, start looking for a new board and psu to start. Try to keep as much as you can such as the CPU etc.

You are probably going on a new build anyway. Have fun.
a c 275 ) Power supply
October 25, 2011 12:07:14 AM

Could be a simple winsat error= WEI

Go to my computer...

Click on C drive...

Scroll down to Windows folder...performance

Click on WinSat folder...

Click on DataStore folder...

In DataStore folder you will see many files, (I see 8 files total) 7 files are (Initial) files, 1 file is winsat.etl

DELETE ALL (Initial) files...

Leaving only the winsat.etl file

Re-run your Windows Experience Index...it should work now!!!
a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2011 12:21:09 AM

You said it was fine without the cards connected in SLI, but both cards still running. There's a chance it could just be a faulty SLI bridge, buy a different one and try.
a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2011 12:49:57 AM

Weren't OCZ ssd's causing issues like mysterious reboots on some systems? try the new SSD firmware they released 2 weeks ago (i think) .
a c 275 ) Power supply
October 25, 2011 2:22:54 AM

^+1 great suggestion! never crossed my mind
October 25, 2011 7:47:19 AM

Sorry I should have mentioned that the 2nd drive I tried was not an SSD. I have also tried 2 SLI bridges so am confident that is not the issue also, Im going to order a new PSU and give it a try, I can always sell it if it is not needed.

If it does not work after that it may be the board, X58 are expensive though so I might just sell 1 570 and keep the cash until the 6 series cards release.

Im sure I can cope with 1 570 for a few months!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I will let you know if I have any luck with the PSU.
October 25, 2011 7:48:30 AM

davcon said:
Could be a simple winsat error= WEI

Go to my computer...

Click on C drive...

Scroll down to Performance folder...

Click on WinSat folder...

Click on DataStore folder...

In DataStore folder you will see many files, (I see 8 files total) 7 files are (Initial) files, 1 file is winsat.etl

DELETE ALL (Initial) files...

Leaving only the winsat.etl file

Re-run your Windows Experience Index...it should work now!!!

I will try this tonight after work, but it does not explain why some of my games also crash my machine with SLI enabled.

Ill try anything at this stage though!
December 6, 2011 3:05:05 PM

Hi Guys, finally solved the problem so thought I would update my post incase it helps others.

I replaced my PSU with one that has a single 12v rail, problem solved.
a b ) Power supply
December 6, 2011 8:35:43 PM

Glad to hear, the OCZ unit must've been faulty as it should be more than enough to power a single gtx570, I wouldn't rule them out as a brand completely as they do make some good stuff.
December 27, 2011 8:07:21 AM

try after connecting harddrive with normal Sata port not 6gbs sata port.

bumnut53 said:
Hi,
I am having some problems with my machine restarting at random and some games (but not all) crashing. Here is my setup:

i7 950 @ 3.7
12 Gig Corsair DDR3 1600
MSI X58
2 x EVGA GTX 570 SLI
OCZ Vertex SSD
2 samsung 1 TB HDD
3D Vision
OCZ GameXstream 850W PSU
Coolermaster HAFX

At first I thought that it may be faulty RAM, tried memtest and all is good (tested 1 stick at a time and all together)
Deus Ex HR & Just Cause 2 crash after between 1 - 10 mins of play, Windows experience index restarts the machine before completing.

I have tried each 570 on its own (other card removed) and WEI completes correctly, Furmark and Unigene engine both work fine with SLI activated.

I have removed the OC from my CPU but it does not make any difference, CPU is fine for hours running Prime95 and temps are good.

All games and benchmarks work fine with only one card installed, some games work fine with 2 cards installed. Im thinking it must be a power supply issue but just wanted to get some opinions before buying a 1000W PSU.

Thanks

!