Sign in with
Your question

GTX 460 SLI vs GTX 560 Ti / GTX 570

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 19, 2011 3:42:45 PM

Hey,

The time has come for me to build a new system.
Its been about 3 years and since then I have purchased a much larger monitor (higher res). I currently use my system mainly for gaming, Black Ops Zombies, Crysis 2, Portal 2 etc etc.

I have a 26" Samsung, playing games at native res which is 1920x1200.
I often plug it into my 46" TV, running 1920x1080.

My current system is slowly feeling the strain. I'm unable to really run games with all the "eye candy" settings as the frame rates get a bit choppy.

Currently Im running;
CPU: Intel Q6600 - was overclocked but dropped it back to stock.
RAM: Geil 2Gb - I know its pathetic... lol.
GPU: eVGA 8800GTS 512Mb

Now... As always I've started doing some reading, leading up to me buying a new system, as I like to make sure I buy parts that are at least going to see me through the next few years.

As its been a few years since I've really looked at the GPU Market, I almost feel lost with all the "flavours" available at the moment.

I live in the UK, and Im looking to spend somewhere in the region of £200 - £250 on the GPU/s.

The bottomline is, what would be my best choices?
Im not a complete fan boy, but I do tend to lean more towards Nvidia cards. Ive had both ATI and Nvidia Cards and Ive enjoyed the Nvidia ones more. However Im not completely against suggestions.

The GTX 560Ti looks like a nice option, potentially even the GTX570?
However I have noticed that GTX 460 1Gb is a pretty cheap option, allowing me to purchase 2 of these cards for a similar price as a GTX 570.

Would I get better performance from 2x GTX 460 1GB or should I just go for something like a GTX 570?

As far as the rest of the system goes, Im still scouting about, but Im guessing I will go for something like: Intel i7-950 and 6Gb RAM, decent mobo for overclocking, etc etc.

I will probably not be purchasing it for about another two months. Any suggestions, tips, input or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nic
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2011 4:38:33 PM

Congrats on getting ready to make the leap and build a new system- you'll definitely have a lot of fun. Just make sure to read up a little bit on the components you are looking at. Here are a few things:

1) Don't get an x58 chipset. Go with the new Sandy Bridge chipset an i5-2500k or 2600k. They cost the same (or less) than the i7-950 and provide better peformance while being more easily overclockable. It's better in just about every way for less money.

2) Of the 3 graphics options the GTX 1GB SLI will perform the best by quite a bit. However, if you were to go with the 560ti or 570, you have the option of adding a second card down the road. None of these are bad options, and 460's in SLI will be a pretty powerful GPU setup for a long time to come, just not as long as a 560ti/570 setup would be. I'm not familiar with prices in the UK, but that all holds true for performance.

*Brand preference is totally ok- both NVidia and AMD have great products at just about every price point (you can only be called a fanboy in a disparaging manner if you choose a company with an inferior product at the same or higher price). You really can't make a bad decision provided you look for good deals on the model you decide on.
a b U Graphics card
May 20, 2011 2:48:30 AM

exesmokey said:
Hey,

The time has come for me to build a new system.
Its been about 3 years and since then I have purchased a much larger monitor (higher res). I currently use my system mainly for gaming, Black Ops Zombies, Crysis 2, Portal 2 etc etc.

I have a 26" Samsung, playing games at native res which is 1920x1200.
I often plug it into my 46" TV, running 1920x1080.

My current system is slowly feeling the strain. I'm unable to really run games with all the "eye candy" settings as the frame rates get a bit choppy.

Currently Im running;
CPU: Intel Q6600 - was overclocked but dropped it back to stock.
RAM: Geil 2Gb - I know its pathetic... lol.
GPU: eVGA 8800GTS 512Mb

Now... As always I've started doing some reading, leading up to me buying a new system, as I like to make sure I buy parts that are at least going to see me through the next few years.

As its been a few years since I've really looked at the GPU Market, I almost feel lost with all the "flavours" available at the moment.

I live in the UK, and Im looking to spend somewhere in the region of £200 - £250 on the GPU/s.

The bottomline is, what would be my best choices?
Im not a complete fan boy, but I do tend to lean more towards Nvidia cards. Ive had both ATI and Nvidia Cards and Ive enjoyed the Nvidia ones more. However Im not completely against suggestions.

The GTX 560Ti looks like a nice option, potentially even the GTX570?
However I have noticed that GTX 460 1Gb is a pretty cheap option, allowing me to purchase 2 of these cards for a similar price as a GTX 570.

Would I get better performance from 2x GTX 460 1GB or should I just go for something like a GTX 570?

As far as the rest of the system goes, Im still scouting about, but Im guessing I will go for something like: Intel i7-950 and 6Gb RAM, decent mobo for overclocking, etc etc.

I will probably not be purchasing it for about another two months. Any suggestions, tips, input or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nic

The best advise I have seen is to buy the best single card you can afford now and XFire or SLI later. If you go with a GTX 460 SLI you will not be able to upgrade withour going to a new GPU platform; while if you go with a single GTX 560 or 570 you will be able to upgrade in SLI later. I bought a GTX 470 which I modded out and can add another to get better than GTX 580 performance.

A second consideration is that SLI or XFire is not easy-peasy. Sometimes dual GPUs have problems that a single GPU doesn't. Another concern is that not all games are imroved by XFire or SLI.

So my adcise would be to buy the top of what you can afford now and plan to upgrade with a second GPU in the future.
Related resources
May 20, 2011 8:24:27 AM

Morning,

Thank you very much for the replies. It's given me a bit to think about.
Ive checked some benchmarks from a site (Anandtech I think) that someone linked in another thread.

The two cards in SLI do seem to perform better than most of the single card options in my price range, however in some cases not by FAR too much.

I will probably take the advice and go for something like the GTX 560Ti or the GTX 570, giving myself the option to SLI in the future when the prices drop, prior to them phasing these cards out. I wont be buying for a couple of months so I'll see what the market does.

Beltzy, thanks for the input on the CPU. Ive been reading some very good things about the 2500K and 2600K but hadn't made my mind up yet. Seems I could save a nice bit of money with this option and have a bit extra to splash out on a GPU.

Thank you very much for the input and suggestions.

Much appreciated,

Nic
a b U Graphics card
May 20, 2011 1:22:59 PM

Will you OC the cards or not?
May 20, 2011 2:23:00 PM

Yeah I will be overclocking wherever possible.

My first experience with overclocking was with my Q6600, which I took to 3.2Ghz from the stock 2.4Ghz. Ran cool, smoothly and stable, on air.

I overclocked the 8800GTS 512Mb too. Got some very nice (stable) overclocks out of it, but at the time I was running 1680x1050 on a 22" so I didnt really need it overclocked. So after a few months I dropped it back to stock to prolong its life a bit. :p 

Used Scan before and have no complaints. The prices are good and the service has been decent too.
Scan and a mix of eBuyer and Overclockers.co.uk. Whatever has the best prices at the time of purchasing normally get my money. ;) 

The Asus 560Ti looks good and Ive seen some people who have over clocked it quite nicely.

Thanks for your views,

Nic
a b U Graphics card
May 20, 2011 2:30:28 PM

If so then imo you should go for a GTX570, why? Because it is faster than GTX560Ti @ 1Ghz, which is really hard to reach because most of them are only capable of reaching 925Mhz core, and it can be OCed quite well that will give you more or less GTX460 SLi performance. In addition, it's more future-proof because you can add another one later and it has more memory, which will make some difference on 1200p. Have you thought about AMD cards or you've had some bad experience with them and you don't wish to buy them again?
May 20, 2011 4:44:13 PM

True, the 6950 is great and unlockable but the gtx 570 is only £233 and I overclocked my one (reference) to 875 MHz on the core at 1.025 v and the temperatures only go up into the high 70s in furmark.
a b U Graphics card
May 20, 2011 4:56:50 PM

6950 OC is capable of beating 570, but you can get even more performance if you unlock the shaders.
May 20, 2011 6:46:19 PM

yes but when you overclock the gtx 570 to the above levels it will outperform the gtx 580.
a c 271 U Graphics card
May 20, 2011 6:51:49 PM

chesteracorgi said:
A second consideration is that SLI or XFire is not easy-peasy.

SLi always has been in my experience.
!