Sign in with
Your question

8800 GT nv4_disp infinite loop

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 19, 2011 3:51:50 PM

Hi guys,

First of all let me start by saying I never had this issue before on this system.

I re-installed windows xp sp3 a few months back and everything seemed to be ok, played TF2 with no hitch, LOTRO and some Bloodline Champions again with no prob.

But then the problems started and my pc was freezing when playing lotro (in windowed mode it took a while to freeze but it still happened). Recently I installed Guild Wars and it started doing it almost immediately.

This error was given each time (I checked the previous errors as well with event viewer):

"The driver nv4_disp for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates."

I tried the newest drivers as well as older ones, with driver cleaner in-between to make sure there isn't any conflict between old and new.

WinXP is up2date and my system is clean of viruses and trojans.

Also worth mentioning is the fact it sometimes freezes when I have more than one youtube window opened (or flash applications opened).

I was reading about this error on a number of forums (nvidia official ones as well as other tech forums) and ppl were complaining about this prob for years now, most of them finding comfort only after they replaced their cards - I don't have this luxury as I don't have the cash atm for a new one.

Can this be a prob from the new WinXP I installed? can anyone help me troubleshoot it and correct it please?

I would appreciate the help. Thank you for reading! :p 
a c 160 U Graphics card
May 19, 2011 4:46:51 PM

The issue is almost certainly with the card, 8800 series have a more than normal failure rate. You can try the card in another system to rule out the PC.
May 19, 2011 5:43:30 PM

Had no prob with the card 'till I reinstalled Windows. Nothing changed from then to now. No power surges, anything of the sort.

Plus I can play Bloodline Champions just fine without any prob which makes no sense since thats a 3d application too as I recall..I don't have any other comp to switch it too and I'm almost 100% sure it's not the hardware.
Related resources
a c 160 U Graphics card
May 19, 2011 5:46:35 PM

You said you ran fine for months after re-installing windows, that long of a time is not a good thing to go by. If you installed XP, and soon as you rebooted the issue started may be an issue with the setup. Run 3dMark, see how it handles that.
a c 542 U Graphics card
May 19, 2011 6:16:51 PM

Is your DirectX version up to date?
May 20, 2011 4:55:48 AM

ko888 said:
Is your DirectX version up to date?

It is..I've noticed that I can play games in windowed mode for a reasonable amount of time with no crash whereas in full screen it would almost immediately crash.

I am thinking of trying Windows 7 as from what I've read it seems to fix the problem. The card is stable, even though it runs a bit hot which is normal for an 8800 GT and I am confident it's not a hardware issue.

I suspect it has something to do with XP and possibly some corrupt files from the installation - there is no other explanation that I can think of; everything was fine and I was playing games without a prob before I re-installed the OS.

What I was hoping for was a fix that would save me the time to install a new OS (I don't have a lot fo free time and would rather enjoy what little free time I do have than wasting it on a OS installation)..
May 24, 2011 9:04:31 AM

Update: Problem solved by installing Windows 7, watching it eat up my measly 2gb memory and crying a little bit but being happy at the same time for the fact I no longer get that god-awful error.
a c 160 U Graphics card
May 24, 2011 2:04:45 PM

Win 7 is much better anyway, and will run fine on 2 gig. Plus RAM is pretty cheap to upgrade.

Glad to hear it was not the card at fault.
!