Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Disk Boot Failure

Last response: in Motherboards
July 20, 2012 1:19:15 AM

Hello,
I have been having serious issues with my rig. My computer has been acting weird for a while now, blue screens and freezes every so often and what not. I upgraded my graphics card recently and that seemed to have sent my computer over the edge. Now it freezes about a half an hour into use. I can't update anything or install anything large because of this issue, not to mention gaming. I orginally thought my hardrive went bad. So I bought a Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb. And I couldn't boot anything to install Win 7 64 bit. So I gave it to a friend who put it in his computer and installed win for me and gave it back. Now I am getting a Disk Boot Failure Error. Please help. I have tried updating my BIOS; and Setting Boot Order. I do not have the original Win 7 Disk to try Repairing Windows. Is there another option? My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L my CPU is a Core 2 Quad Q6600. And the Graphics Card I just updated is a HD Radeon 5770. Thanks.

More about : disk boot failure

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
July 20, 2012 11:36:18 AM

you cant boot an OS that was installed on another machine. Reason for this is that every chipset component has a unique id which the OS refers to through and after install. In your case, your OS is referring to components from your friends rig and therefore cannot boot to component id's on your rig and you can not repair it either.

what you can do is run EaseUs partition manager through USB boot, and format the c partition. Set the boot order to boot from cd/dvd rom and then clean install the os
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 20, 2012 2:55:11 PM

Hmm...interesting. Q - Why don't you have your copy of Windows 7??

Assuming you have a legit S/N here's the (.ISO) files - http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-imag...

Drivers for Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L (after install use 'Intel INF installation' first) - http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

-option-

Don't use Windows 8 for 'Gaming' yet:
Also, you 'can' use the Preview version of Windows 8 - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso
/note - I see no Window's 8 drivers listed so the best is to use the same bit (32/64) per Windows 7. No guarantees./
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 20, 2012 10:57:03 PM

If your friend's motherboard was the same manufacturer as your motherobard then the install would have worked on your PC and the OS would have updated the drivers, but if your friends' Pc is a differentnt Manufacturer, then it will not work.

Even if it was the same motherboard, you would have had to activated the OS on the Microsoft site within 45 days otherwise, it defaults to a non-Genuine Windows problem, and you can only activate if the Serial Number Licence allows it.

OEM Windows 7 is only a single user licence otherwise there are 3 licences available for all other non-OEM Windows 7.

You can't install x64 on a Netbook, only x32.

You have to set the CD/DVD drive as first boot to use the install boot disk.

Blue screens usually occur because of a bad driver or faulty ram and not necessarily a faulty hard drive but not to be ruled out entirley.

How much free space do you have left on your hard drive?
How much ram do you use?
What is the wattage of your PSU?
m
l
July 21, 2012 3:40:19 AM

OK, I'll try these suggestions and get back with you guys, thanks.

@TenPC It is a new 1tb hardrive so I have over 900 gb left. A 600w psu. And I currently have 4gb of DDR2 800 in there. This ram is new, I replaced the old one to try to trouble shoot the issues my rig is having.

Thanks for the help guys. Will let you know if it works.
m
l
July 31, 2012 2:13:12 PM

Best answer selected by kehlan.
m
l
!