bostoncactus

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
I'm going nuts trying to figure out why I have no sound.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77V/#overview

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and have seen a lot about the Realtek HD audio not working well with 7. So far none of the fixes I've found have worked for me. I have deleted and reinstalled drivers and codecs from Asus and Realtek to no avail. HD audio pin is plugged into my mobo with no visible damage to either part. Options in BIOS are set to enable HD audio. I don't have speakers to test with, but headphones are recognized in both front and rear ports but no sound through those either. System displays drivers installed, up to date, and all functioning properly.

I just installed my new video card and I'm jonesing hard for some game time... really want to get this sound issue worked out!

You may have to reconfigure your default audio device.

Right click sound icon in systray -> playback devices -> scroll until you see something with a green checkmark (may be called Speakers, depends on the card) -> right click -> Test

If this works and it doesn't say "Default Device" below it, right click again -> Set as Default Device

If this fails, test to make sure that your headphones aren't broken

bostoncactus

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012

Thanks for the response. Default device is set and the headphones work fine on another system. No sound tests produce any audio.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
For onboard sound/audio, you need to enable the Audio controller in the BIOS then you need to install WDM before installing the Audio drivers, and then only those drivers as per the motherboard specifications.