Sign in with
Your question

PC won't boot up with new graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2011 9:27:34 PM

Hi all.

My girlfriend has a 4 year old OEM PC which originally only had integrated graphics. About 1,5 years ago I upgraded her PC with a coolermaster 390W PSU and an HD 4650 (512MB DDR2) graphics card which has been running fine ever since. However I wanted to upgrade to an HD 5570 (1GB DDR3 and it's supposed to consume slightly less power than the HD 4650) today and that didn't work out well. Her PC won't accept the new graphics card, even though it ran fine on my PC when I tested it. When I say her PC doesn't accept the new card I mean the following: all fans will spin (the CPU fan makes a slight ticking noise however) and the HDD led is flashing continuously while the monitor says "no video signal", this means I can't even get into the BIOS. At first I thought I may have fried the PCI-E slot but when I put the old HD 4650 in everything works and I can boot into windows.

I really don't know what the problem could be: it can't be power issues (I think) because neither card was over- or underclocked and the HD 5570 is supposed to consume less power than the HD 4650 (I even disconnected the DVD drive and HDD to see if that would help and it didn't), the HD 5570 runs just fine on my PC so it's not broken either and the PCI-E slot accepts the HD 4650, so why not the HD 5570?

Further details: running Windows 7 32bit with catalyst 11.5 drivers, intel E2200 CPU and 2gigs of DDR2.

More about : boot graphics card

May 19, 2011 9:58:14 PM

I would put the old, working 4650 back in and update the ati radeon catalyst drivers. Then do the physical uninstall/install.
Some 4650's dont have a separate 4-pin molex or 6-pin pci-express power connector while your new 5570s may so check that. Does the fan on the 5570 video card spin? Try out both the dvi and vga ports.
m
l
Related resources
a c 153 U Graphics card
May 19, 2011 10:02:13 PM

If it was a driver problem he would at least be able to see the BIOS and what not. I would think.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2011 10:12:08 PM

It's definitely not a driver issue since that would only manifest itself in windows, not at boot. Both cards do not have molex connectors because they don't need the power: the HD 4650 and HD 5570 have TDPs of 48W and 43W respectively, which is well below the maximum 75W a PCI-E slot can supply.

I'll try to swap PSUs to see if that makes a difference, even though it's a lot of work and in theory shouldn't solve anything since the HD 5570 has a lower TDP (yes the legionhardware review shows the HD 5570 consuming more power but that's using furmark and the difference is only 5W).
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
May 20, 2011 12:53:20 AM

Try it and report back. I've seen much weirder things than that happen with power issues in all the time I've been working here.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 20, 2011 12:32:09 PM

Well I tried my PSU (which effortlessly powers a core i7 and HD 5870) in her PC and it changed nothing: the old card still works and the new card still doesn't, so it's not a power issue. Resetting the CMOS got rid of the ticking noise from the CPU fan, but the DVD and HDD leds still flash and there are still no beeps.

I'm guessing there must be something with the PCI-E slot but it's not dusty and if it's really broken thn why does it readily accept an HD 4650 but not an HD 5570, it's not like those cards are lightyears apart in terms of performance, power use, age or design?

Edit: on another forum people are suggesting the HD 5570 might be PCI-E 2.1 while the HD 4650 is PCI-E 2.0 and the motherboard is probably PCI-E 1.0 or 1.1 and may have issues with PCI-E 2.1 (as some motherboards apparently do) even though the industry promised us everything would be backwards compatible.
m
l
May 20, 2011 10:34:20 PM

Hard to say...

Some people have reported problems in general with a PCI-e 2.1 card in a PCI-e 1.x port. Check the motherboard' site for a BIOS update.

Otherwise I would simply spend a little more money and replace this card HD5570 PCI-e2.1 with an other one which is PCI-e2.0 card to avoid headache.

P.S, you can check this PCI-e2.1 incompatibility by inserting your card HD 5870 and use your power supply on you girlfriend PC (sure if your card is PCI-e2.0)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2011 7:42:38 PM

shobits1 said:
Hard to say...

Some people have reported problems in general with a PCI-e 2.1 card in a PCI-e 1.x port. Check the motherboard' site for a BIOS update.

Otherwise I would simply spend a little more money and replace this card HD5570 PCI-e2.1 with an other one which is PCI-e2.0 card to avoid headache.

P.S, you can check this PCI-e2.1 incompatibility by inserting your card HD 5870 and use your power supply on you girlfriend PC (sure if your card is PCI-e2.0)

I will try that my HD 5870 on her motherboard. I'm also looking for a BIOS update for that motherboard: the ECS RC415ST-PM ver 1.0 but there has been no mention of it on the websites of Packard Bell, Compaq, ECS or ACER since ACER took over Packard Bell and ECS is not replying to my e-mail, why the **** would all those companies just "forget" about one of their motherboards while much older ones are still listed?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 7:22:38 PM

Well, PCI-E compatibility is not the issue after all: the Sapphire website, documentation of the new card and Everest Ultimate's scan of the old card all say that both cards are PCI-E 2.0. So as of now I have absolutely no idea what the issue could be, I've run out of ideas.

Edit: I sort of solved the problem. A GT440 works with this motherboard, still no idea what makes ATI cards (above the 4xxx series not work).
m
l
!