Camera with these specs/features (PC control and lens thre..

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 17, 2005 10:10:29 PM

Hi. I'm looking for a digicam with the following:

Must have
- computer control for taking the shot, eitther cable or wireless
- lens thread, prefer 67 mm but others okay with step ring

Nice to have
- able to store the image directly to the computer hard disk at moment
of shot
- 5 Mpix or better
- voice memo

Should anyone knows if such a beast exists, please post. Thanks.
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 10:10:30 PM

Many Olympus digicams are computer controllable by a free program
called Cam2Com. I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard it works ok. I
don't know which other brands have a similar ability.

Very few *cameras* (any?) have a 67mm filter thread. (Lenses for
DSLR's obviously might have..!) The Oly C8080, Sony F828/F717, Nikon
5700/8700 and several others in the 5-8Mp `prosumer` category, use
58mm. The C8080 certainly has voice annotation (4-sec), as do some of
the others..
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 1:11:11 AM

On 17 Mar 2005 18:28:02 -0800, chrlz@go.com wrote:

>Many Olympus digicams are computer controllable by a free program
>called Cam2Com. I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard it works ok. I

Okay, I'll check them out. Thanks.

>Very few *cameras* (any?) have a 67mm filter thread. (Lenses for
>DSLR's obviously might have..!) The Oly C8080, Sony F828/F717, Nikon

58 is okay..there are adapters.
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 9:22:18 AM

chrlz@go.com writes:

> Many Olympus digicams are computer controllable by a free program
> called Cam2Com. I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard it works ok. I
> don't know which other brands have a similar ability.
>
> Very few *cameras* (any?) have a 67mm filter thread. (Lenses for
> DSLR's obviously might have..!) The Oly C8080, Sony F828/F717, Nikon
> 5700/8700 and several others in the 5-8Mp `prosumer` category, use
> 58mm. The C8080 certainly has voice annotation (4-sec), as do some of
> the others..

I didn't see the original post, but my 14-54mm lens on E-1 (Olympus DSLR) is
67mm. I believe the 50-200mm lens is also 67mm. However if you have 67mm
attachments, it is easy to get step-up rings to convert from your camera's
filter size to 67mm. One such place to buy these step-up rings is the Filter
Connection: http://www.2filter.com.

Note however, in terms of computer control, unfortunately the various programs
that control Olympus cameras (cam2com, pine tree computing, gphoto2) don't work
with the E-1. You evidently have to buy Olympus Studio Plus.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org