A few questions about the 470 gtx

toiletninja

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
1. I was looking at the specs of the GeForce GTX 470 and saw that the core clock was only 607, which is significantly lower than other GPUs at that price range. I was previously under the impression that the core clock was a factor that determined how good a GPU was. In this case, is there another feature that the 470 has that somehow compensates for the low clock? Sorry, I'm not familiar with GPUs.

2. I've heard rumors that some GPUs will perform worse in lower resolutions. Is this true? If so, why? and would it make much of a difference (my res is 1680x1050)?

Thanks.

Solution
The GTX470 has a lower clock in order to reduce power consumption to a manageable level. As such, it does overclock quite well, but increases power consumption and heat.

I've not seen any GPUs (that I remember) perform worse at a lower res without a driver issue, it's just that they won't perform to their fullest potential. a GTX470 with an AMD Dualcore Phenom II 550 might get 60FPS at 1440x960, 60FPS at 1680x1050, and 50FPS at 1920x1080.

Also, as a last piece of advice, the HD6950 is in the GTX470's price bracket, and would be a better buy. It performs better, and widens that gap when crossfired (should you choose to do so). It's also unlockable to an HD6970.
The GTX470 has a lower clock in order to reduce power consumption to a manageable level. As such, it does overclock quite well, but increases power consumption and heat.

I've not seen any GPUs (that I remember) perform worse at a lower res without a driver issue, it's just that they won't perform to their fullest potential. a GTX470 with an AMD Dualcore Phenom II 550 might get 60FPS at 1440x960, 60FPS at 1680x1050, and 50FPS at 1920x1080.

Also, as a last piece of advice, the HD6950 is in the GTX470's price bracket, and would be a better buy. It performs better, and widens that gap when crossfired (should you choose to do so). It's also unlockable to an HD6970.

Solution

Yup, I think you deserve a best answer. :lol:

It does offer decent performance even now but there is more to it than power consumption but also thermals. If you are able to keep it cool and power this card without there being any limiting factors in performance then go for it if it is what you really want but I suggest a different card. GTX 560 ti if budget allows or a 6950.

If that is all you can afford and it is what you want then go for it as there is no changing your mind. The gtx 470 isn't the best card but Fermi 100 is acceptable for cuda applications compared to the gtx 460 but gaming will say either wise. A 900mhz gtx 460 can beat this card and still use less power.

toiletninja

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
I keep my computer under my desk, so noise won't be a problem (I dust it off routinely as well). My house is relatively cool, and I have plenty of extra case fans. Can the gtx 470 overclock just as well?

The GTX 470 has better architecture, meaning your clocks don't have to be as high. The GTX 470 also, runs very hot too, meaning you won't be able to achieve as high OCs without doing damage.

To add further to this the pcb has limits to how much power it can supply with is one of the limiting factors that hinder overclocking with the gtx 465 and 470. A warning though there is a choke coil near one of the 6pin power connectors is known to get very hot and fail but they are few and far between.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished

I doubt that your GTX 460 clocked at 900 will beat a GTX 470 OC'd to 800. In any case with good cooling this OC can easily be achieved and even leave more room for more OC'ing,

chesteracorgi

Distinguished

With a refernce card modded with the Zalman 3000 VF my GTX 470 is both silent and cool. I knw the downside--it takes 3 slots, but OC'ing is a breeze and the rig is near silent too.

The limiting factor of Fermi based cards when cooling is properly addressed is power then a again a volt modded gtx 480 with the double cap mod has been documented to achieve 900mhz+.