Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Antec 1200 vs HAF X vs ???

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
October 24, 2011 12:38:58 AM

So I just realized I could get either the Antec 1200 or HAF X. Which one is better in terms of space, value, performance, cooling, etc.
Or is there another fulltower case that's better than these two that's within my budget ($180 MAX, and I mean MAX)
Edit: What would you do if you have a USB 2.0 Board? Would the case still be compatible?
Thanks

More about : antec 1200 haf

October 24, 2011 1:01:16 AM

Either would work, but you can save some money and grab a HAF 932 Advance (essentially the same as the HAF X, just different connector choices). The Corsair 600T is also a good buy, same with most Lian-Li ATX cases within the $130+ price range. The Antec 1200 is an older case, and may not have the room for larger vid cards (ie the 69xx ATi cards). An Azza Solano would also work (between $100, and $115 red or blue).
Score

Best solution

a c 274 ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 1:02:36 AM

Two excellent and very popular full towers.
The only other cases worth considering are the HAF 932 Advanced and the Silverstone Ravens 2 or 3 and DF-85.Some might mention the NXZT Phantom.
The HAF's are huge so space would never be an issue.
The Antecs are known for cooling performance just as much as the HAF series.
The Ravens are known for great quiet cooling same as the 1200.
Value wise i think the 932 Advanced has that.
Related resources
Anonymous
October 24, 2011 1:12:12 AM

davcon said:
Two excellent and very popular full towers.
The only other cases worth considering are the HAF 932 Advanced and the Silverstone Ravens 2 or 3 and DF-85.Some might mention the NXZT Phantom.
The HAF's are huge so space would never be an issue.
The Antecs are known for cooling performance just as much as the HAF series.
The Ravens are known for great quiet cooling same as the 1200.
Value wise i think the 932 Advanced has that.

Hm, yeah, I was thinking about the HAF 932 Advanced but idk whether it is near the level of performance the HAF X offers. What I'm asking is, is it worth it to save some money and buy the HAF 932 Advanced or just shell out the cash for a HAF X. I was initially thinking of the Phantom but the 192mm fans instead of 200mm annoyed me and the little space for CPU coolers was irritating. I could still get it I just can't decide...
The RV03 is enticing but I heard it can't accommodate some larger GPU's which kind of puts me off. The HAF X from what I've heard also has better airflow, not sure about the HAF 932 Advanced though.
Also I'm a teensy bit reluctant to get the HAF X because it costs $180 and that'd dry up all my funds. Then I would probably have to wait two weeks or so for Skyrim! :(  What say you?
Score
Anonymous
October 24, 2011 1:14:43 AM

IH8U said:
Either would work, but you can save some money and grab a HAF 932 Advance (essentially the same as the HAF X, just different connector choices). The Corsair 600T is also a good buy, same with most Lian-Li ATX cases within the $130+ price range. The Antec 1200 is an older case, and may not have the room for larger vid cards (ie the 69xx ATi cards). An Azza Solano would also work (between $100, and $115 red or blue).

Either would work? So would I still be able to use the front USB headers even though they're USB 3.0 and I have a Dell Mobo that only has USB 2.0?
Edit: Grammar!
Score
October 24, 2011 1:25:47 AM

You wouldn't be able to use the USB 3.0 connectors without an add in card. The HAF 932 Advance would be your best bet, as it's USB 3 was an add on (in a drive bay), that can be removed. Also to use the HAF 932's here is an add in card that should work:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13831/usb-09/Silverst...
$30 Silverstone EC01 PCI Express Card w/ USB3.0 Connector
Score
a c 139 ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 1:29:42 AM

Both are excellent cases......I have built with 1200, DF-85, HAF 932 and HAF-X and from on easy of build perspective, I'd put the 932 last of the 4 but if it was a race, it's practically a photo finish w/ all 4. The one nagging concern I had w/ the HAF 932 is the "tool less" features which were sometimes difficult to line up, manipulate and I was afraid of breaking them trying to snap in. ANd yes, the 932 doesn't have USB3, HAF-X does.

One H U G E difference between the two is that the two Antec's fit CPX form factor PSU's. CPX form factor PSU's are larger than ATX which gives designers some extra flexibility, allowing them to run cooler and quieter and costing less to build than comparable ATX units for the same level of quality and performance. Jonnyguru gives the CP-850 a 10.0 performance rating

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

Quote:
Performance....: Let's figure this out here. On second thought, what's to figure out? We have an Antec 850W that performs better than a Signature that appears to cost less than a Signature. We have a unit that was promised to do 80 Plus standard, but ended up doing Bronze. No, the unit didn't quite match the Signature in terms of voltage stability, but it came real close. And to be honest, the differences in voltage readings were so small you could put them down to connector resistance. And since the ripple and noise suppression more than made up for the slightly less stable voltages... 10.0.

......It is completely unmatched by any ATX unit on the market I can think of. You'd have to spend twice as much as this thing costs to find the next best thing, performance wise.

Read how the case and PSU work together here:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article971-page7.html

Quote:
The above is an obviously unfair advantage for the CP-850... but what of it? Antec has used an integrated systems approach for its CP-850 and its best cases, and if that approach is an advantage over all other case/PSU combinations, then, all the more power to Antec!
Score
a c 274 ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 1:31:03 AM

Anonymous said:
Either would work? So would I still be able to use the front USB headers even though they're USB 3.0 and I have a Dell Mobo that only has USB 2.0?
Edit: Grammar!

That won't be a problem usb 3.0 is backwards compatible to 1.0/2.0.
I can't tell you for sure if the HAF's come with FP usb adapters idk.(3.0 to 2.0)
Hold up!
You're going to spend $150+ for a top of the line case for a featureless Dell mobo(bios)
Are you sure? cuz plenty of mid-towers offer just as good cooling and features for alot less money.
No offense but your money might be spent more efficiently elsewhere.
Motherboard immediately comes to mind/mid -tower
Score
Anonymous
October 24, 2011 1:40:20 AM

davcon said:
That won't be a problem usb 3.0 is backwards compatible to 1.0/2.0.
I can't tell you for sure if the HAF's come with FP usb adapters idk.(3.0 to 2.0)
Hold up!
You're going to spend $150+ for a top of the line case for a featureless Dell mobo(bios)
Are you sure? cuz plenty of mid-towers offer just as good cooling and features for alot less money.
No offense but your money might be spent more efficiently elsewhere.
Motherboard immediately comes to mind/mid -tower

If I get a new motherboard then I'll have to get a new processor, RAM, etc. because I have a LG775 socket board... I just don't have the money. (Being 13 FTW -_-) Next year I'll get a $150 Board and a $200-250 i5-2500k. I don't really know yet what things I'll have to upgrade if I get a new Mobo so right now I know minimum for what I want will be $350-$400.
I guess I'll just get the HAF 932 Advanced, from what I've seen it has good performance and it's $20 cheaper than the HAF X.
Score
Anonymous
October 24, 2011 1:44:17 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
Both are excellent cases......I have built with 1200, DF-85, HAF 932 and HAF-X and from on easy of build perspective, I'd put the 932 last of the 4 but if it was a race, it's practically a photo finish w/ all 4. The one nagging concern I had w/ the HAF 932 is the "tool less" features which were sometimes difficult to line up, manipulate and I was afraid of breaking them trying to snap in. ANd yes, the 932 doesn't have USB3, HAF-X does.

One H U G E difference between the two is that the two Antec's fit CPX form factor PSU's. CPX form factor PSU's are larger than ATX which gives designers some extra flexibility, allowing them to run cooler and quieter and costing less to build than comparable ATX units for the same level of quality and performance. Jonnyguru gives the CP-850 a 10.0 performance rating

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

Quote:
Performance....: Let's figure this out here. On second thought, what's to figure out? We have an Antec 850W that performs better than a Signature that appears to cost less than a Signature. We have a unit that was promised to do 80 Plus standard, but ended up doing Bronze. No, the unit didn't quite match the Signature in terms of voltage stability, but it came real close. And to be honest, the differences in voltage readings were so small you could put them down to connector resistance. And since the ripple and noise suppression more than made up for the slightly less stable voltages... 10.0.

......It is completely unmatched by any ATX unit on the market I can think of. You'd have to spend twice as much as this thing costs to find the next best thing, performance wise.

Read how the case and PSU work together here:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article971-page7.html

Quote:
The above is an obviously unfair advantage for the CP-850... but what of it? Antec has used an integrated systems approach for its CP-850 and its best cases, and if that approach is an advantage over all other case/PSU combinations, then, all the more power to Antec!

I really only skimmed the article because I have to go to bed now but what case has the CPX form factor? And would I still be able to use my ATX PSU (at least I think it's ATX, maybe it's mATX?)
Edit: You said Antec *facepalm* just shows I'm tired...
Score
a c 274 ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 2:08:47 AM

Anonymous said:
If I get a new motherboard then I'll have to get a new processor, RAM, etc. because I have a LG775 socket board... I just don't have the money. (Being 13 FTW -_-) Next year I'll get a $150 Board and a $200-250 i5-2500k. I don't really know yet what things I'll have to upgrade if I get a new Mobo so right now I know minimum for what I want will be $350-$400.
I guess I'll just get the HAF 932 Advanced, from what I've seen it has good performance and it's $20 cheaper than the HAF X.

Fair enough my friend !
Everyone has their reasons.
I think the HAF 932 Advanced will serve you very well:) 
Score
Anonymous
October 24, 2011 2:22:37 AM

davcon said:
Fair enough my friend !
Everyone has their reasons.
I think the HAF 932 Advanced will serve you very well:) 

Quick question what would you do in my shoes? Also could I just later buy some dust filters for the fans and install them into the case with no problems?
Score
a c 139 ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 2:41:08 AM

Perhaps post a budget and we'll see what we can put together for you
Score
Anonymous
October 24, 2011 2:54:59 AM

Hehe I only have $245 right now and seeing as I'm only 13 I get jack for money. I do earn around $300-400 in the summer and recieve another $300 for my B-day so being pessimistic that's a $600 budget... What would you predict I would have to replace if I were to get a new mobo (moving from LGA 775 board, CPU-Z says 0M017G)? I mean obviously the CPU and the RAM but what else? I'd also like to get a CPU cooler and TIM for OC'ing. So that's another (being pessimistic $100) for the cooler and TIM. $200 for Ivy Bridge equivalent of i5-2500k and $60 for 8 GB Ripjaws, Vengeance, etc. Then let's say we get a decent board for $200. So that's $560 plus installstion fees (can't do it myself as my Mom doesn't want me to fry anything -_-) So let's say $200 for installation(pessimistic)? So that's $760, overbudget... Time to make cuts...

Score
October 24, 2011 4:17:25 AM

I prefer the haf x.

I owned 2 900's and 2 902's

1200 is not shabby but Haf x can hotswap easier.
Score
October 24, 2011 4:25:57 AM

the haf x is better, but it seems like you need to save some money. Get the HAF 932, which is only 160 bucks, and it has a 20 dollar MIR at newegg. If you want to for a mid case, go for corsair 600t or corsair obsidian 650D. If you want a full case go for HAF 932. The NZXT phantom is a nice case too, for 125 bucks so take that into consideration. The Antec Dark Fleet full case is there too for like 140 bucks I believe.
Score
Anonymous
October 24, 2011 11:37:30 AM

So general opinion is that HAF X is better but HAF 932 Advanced is ok. My question is could I just buy dust filters for the HAF 932 later when I have the money?
Score
a b ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 12:23:32 PM

Quote:
IH8U said:
. The Antec 1200 is an older case, and may not have the room for larger vid cards (ie the 69xx ATi cards). An Azza Solano would also work (between $100, and $115 red or blue).

:o  :o  :o 
OMG!!!! you just said that 1200 may not have the room for large video cards.(radeon hd 69xx).you don't know anything about 1200 i guess.it is a really huge case(one of the largest ATM).5970 is the largest video card i think.even larger than 6990-
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6990-anti...

a 1200 can support upto even the largest video cards video card if i am not wrong.-
http://store.antec.com/Product/enclosure-gear_for_gamer...

by the way i would prefer HAF X.other options are thermaltake Armour+(i am using it ATM sweeeT!!! :sol:  ),thermaltake chaser mk1,coolermaster haf 932 advanced,darkfleet 85,650D(is a mid tower but spce is more than enough to fit any thing),nzxt phantom,azza hurricane 2000(my frnd is using and is a good case IMO), etc.make sure you equip your case some good fans for good cooling.remember products with high price tags are not always better.choose a good case(considering both price and performance)and use good cable management,fans,etc. for longer life and sufficient performance.have a good time. :hello: 
Score
October 24, 2011 5:55:29 PM

I am using MSI 580 cards and I doubt they will fit in the other Antec cases. I bought nothing but the biggest full tower I could find and it was the Haf x.

These cards now fit inside there with about... 2 inches or so and no hard drives or cables in between. And they were heavy enough as to require a special support to be built to support them.

Cable management is king. Everything else is just a hair ball collecting dust bunnies that will choke (And act as a insulation cooking ....) your computer someday.
Score
Anonymous
October 24, 2011 8:25:43 PM

Well, I'm going to get the HAF X probably but I saw that Newegg has a sale on some Antec cases. I was looking at the Antec 1200 V3 and it's only $139.99 USD! What say you guys? Get the cheaper 1200 v3 of get the HAF X?
Edit: Nvm, people say it's garbage compared to HAF X, HAF X it is!!!
Score
Anonymous
October 24, 2011 8:43:38 PM

Best answer selected by iTryHard.
Score
a b ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 9:04:10 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!