GTX 470 & AMD X3 8550

number1 east

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
So currently im planing to upgrade graphic card to a GTX 470. Got a pretty sweet deal from a friend.

I got the psu 600w (550 recommended) however, only thing that worries me is my motherboard. It does have the pci express 2.0 x16 slot etc.

However, will it matter that my motherboard is outdated compared to i7's etc.. Im hearing people tell me that running a higher end card such as a 470 will cause the other components in my pc to overheat?

If you need any other information please ask.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
No. the GTX 470 shouldn't cause other components to overheat on their own, but the GTX 470 is a hot card and will throw off lots of heat unless it is well cooled and you have a well ventillated case. If your case is well ventillated, I can easily recommend modding out the GPU with a Zalman 3000 VF cooler or other after market cooler. I did it with a reference 470 and it overclocks easily while staying very cool.

But, and this is a big BUT. make sure your case is well ventillated because heat kills all components: CPU, GPU, mobo, HDD, etc.

number1 east

Distinguished
May 19, 2011

Thanks for the reply. I got a HP Pavilion case more specifically:

largePic_All.asp

At the moment I am running an nvidia 210 which is at about 38C idle and low 50s when gaming on auto fan.

Not really sure if my case will cut it.. :(

it will work, assuming your psu is a quality unit, please list the make and model. The 470 is a power hog and produces lots of heat. Good airflow in your case is necessary. your CPU will bottleneck the crap out of it also so you wont see the best performance from it unless you upgrade to a higher end Phenom x4 965 or something.

number1 east

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 600W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Bronze Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

That will be the power supply I will be using. I understand the cpu part. Its just to get playable fps in most games. I will upgrade in the future. As for the size I measured it 9.5 inches long and the height is the same as the card I have now so it seems to have enough space... As I previously posted I have no idea if my case will be good enough for the gtx 470.

There is a pic above.

the link to the pic doesnt work. just make sure you have a good exhaust fan on the rear of your case. more than 1 or a very large fan would be ideal. see how it goes, you may need more fans if it overheats or you may need a better case. The psu you listed above isnt great but it will do the job. review here > http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Silent-Pro-M-600-W-Power-Supply-Review/929/10 only issue is it has capacitors which are known to be of poorer quality which may cause an issue in a few years time.