Your question

How to dease latency?

Tags:
  • Latency
  • World Of Warcraft
  • Components
Last response: in Components
October 24, 2011 3:25:40 AM

Hi there, this may be a stupid question.

Is there any hardware I can buy that will decrease latency?
I mean like a card that will fit in the motherboard or something of some sort?

I play WoW, Soldier Front, Combat Arms, and other internet required games. I'd like to decrease my latency. Thank you.

More about : dease latency

October 24, 2011 3:35:17 AM

Killer NIC's are advertised to do that. Most reviews show negligible improvement. 99% here is going to be your ISP.
October 24, 2011 4:13:36 AM

Killer 2100 NIC

this will save your life in battle some of the time.

Fiber Optic Inet service no less than 3 mbit up and 18 mbit down

monitor with 1 or 2ms reaction time.

And the fastest hardware you can pawn, beg, borrow, buy layaway etc.
Related resources
October 24, 2011 7:59:54 AM

^ Seems like a lot of money and trouble for something that is mostly out of your control.. Latency for the average home internet user is mosly dependant on a) Distance to the server and b)How the ISP manages their backhaul capacity. If your link is oversubscribed, you will suffer from high latency at times.
October 24, 2011 8:18:54 AM

Shift to a better ISP. That is the only way.
October 24, 2011 8:26:36 AM

Indeed, ISP is the way. You could also move to an area closer to the server, with better connections :D 
October 24, 2011 8:33:31 AM

That being said, ISP's in US and Europe are pretty good aren't they? For me... bandwidth is as precious as gold. Still dont have any ISP's which provide a net connection on 2Mbps Unlimited.
October 24, 2011 8:37:24 AM

hell_storm2004 said:
That being said, ISP's in US and Europe are pretty good aren't they? For me... bandwidth is as precious as gold. Still dont have any ISP's which provide a net connection on 2Mbps Unlimited.

Where are you based?
October 24, 2011 9:32:15 AM

Get a better Internet Service Provider. They are the behind your Lat issues. Its all in the cable. No Computer peripheral if going to help it, unless you have a shitty modem, but check what your upload and download speedsd are with your provider. I wouldnt get lower than 5gig down, 512 mb up for gaming.
October 24, 2011 9:36:29 AM

@OP: What is your SpeedTest result?
October 24, 2011 6:01:54 PM

Herr_Koos said:
^ Seems like a lot of money and trouble for something that is mostly out of your control.. Latency for the average home internet user is mosly dependant on a) Distance to the server and b)How the ISP manages their backhaul capacity. If your link is oversubscribed, you will suffer from high latency at times.

No sir. Speed and ISP is everything.

There is a major backbone that is about two miles from where I live and thence downtown to the data server center and from there to the world.

Servers in multiplayer that gave me a 120-150 ping now wants 20-40 ping. That is difference of life and death in gaming. I have already been kicked by immature server admins because one week I was my usual laggy self and suddenly next week with a fresh internet I am on top. *Shrugs.

I have not accepted nothing less than the very best as provided by my ISP. And have been with them 10 years now. I am much faster than the old T1's and coax cable and all that bandwidth is mine pending traffic between me and the area's telco where it is all gathered and sent down range.

I am trained in communications and internet systems to a certain degree (Ma Bell and Cisco) long ago. I know full well what the routers do between me and the servers. That is why I prefer Texas as multiplayer servers. I can do west coast but avoid east coast and overseas.

The Killer Nic is not that much, in fact, motherboards are now being sold at Newegg with them built in and for good reason. Those NIC's are able to strip out the bullshit and just keep the game on top of everything. You run around a corner into a enemy and both of you get the knife out. Guess who is going to win... you with the 2100.. maybe.

The only variable left is literally your human reaction speed versus that of your opponet wherever he is in the Globe. If you are a Old Grump like me, you might lose. Then again you might get em.

Milliseconds in speed... say 70 or less is so fast that it's not really a factor anyway, our own bodies, mind and nerves don't operate that quickly and there is still the loss in time involved in making decisions and moving the muscles and fingers to make it happen. The only way to break that is to go mental with a mind reading device to control your game someday.
October 24, 2011 7:44:58 PM

um if you can have the central office closer to where you are to the games sever that would help, changing ISPs might help, changing the kind of line you use will help, changing your personal computer so you do not have local lag will help some so you do not see as many skips of the video during single and during multi player modes but after you get to about 30fps it isn't as important any more as the connection. with the NIC i will NOT go with Killer as it isn't built for high speed lines but for lower speed lines. go with like the Intel PRO/1000 PT as it is the cheapest NIC which actually works like a off loading NIC should the change of the NIC will speed up all functions of the networking of your computer not just gaming. IF you can afford it go with a Metro-E is currently the fastest Internet connection. Have the least amount of cabling between the computer and the router to the Internet. For the lowest ping which low pings are good be the ONLY ONE on the connection so all the speed goes to you. Then you might be able to afford to negotiate with your ISP to have a line set up between you and the games severs thus getting the highest speed you can get. Now if you do all of this you might be able to get into the single digits of ping time or into the less than 1 ms range. Of course this is alot of expense for a game connection but you will have the fastest ping out there of who is not directly on the game sever or the game sever's LAN
October 25, 2011 1:07:58 AM

I have Optimum and I get 133ms WoW(home). Which is freaking awesome, but I'd like to get down to double digits, lol.
!