Thinking about selling my desktop rig...

luciferin

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Hi guys! This is my first post here, and I'm looking for some advice on trying to sell my desktop. I've looked up current prices for all the components, and just want to see if anybody here has sold a computer they've built before and has some opinion on the easiest way to go about it, and to see what you guys think the price should be around. The build is:

Case: HAF 922
CPU: Core i7 920 (2.66GHz, currently overclocked to 3.7GHz)
RAM: 6GB Mushkin Redline 1600MHz (6-8-6-24)
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster V8
PSU: Rocketfish 900W (Got it for a good deal at Best Buy, served me well so far)
Graphics Card: GTX 480 (EVGA, standard clocks)
SSD: OCZ Vertex LE 120GB
MOBO: Intel DX58SO extreme

Just from a quick search on Newegg, current prices seem to be around $1400-$1500 for these components. Would selling it for $1000-$1200 be reasonable (in your opinion)? Let me know what you guys think! :D

You have a farily good gaming PC there with the only drawback being a lack of storage space. Valuing a used PC is always tough, but IMHO $1000 - $1200 is pretty high. If you look at the Budget Intel-Based Gaming PC thread, which has a budget of $1000, there are several systems that would game better than your rig. Don't get me wrong... Your CPU is rocking a good overclock and the GTX 480 is still a great gaming GPU. My point is for $1000 you can get into an overclocked 2500k and GTX 580 (or dual GPUs).
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/312822-31-bestconfigs-budget-intel-based-gaming

luciferin

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011

Thanks for the reply! And yeah, atm I've got two 1TB HDDs in there for storage as well, didn't list them considering disk drives are relatively cheap these days. Your point, however, is pretty much what I'm afraid of. Regardless of the current cost of my components, newer parts can still out perform them at similar price points...

JordoR

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
That's a pretty good machine especially with the inclusion of an SSD. It's using the last gen intel CPU's but still should be able to get a decent amount for it.

I think you are over-pricing it a bit. As sadams mentioned, you could buy a brand new i5 2500k in the 1000 price range.

How desperate are you for a quick sell, or do you not mind waiting a bit longer for a few extra bucks? Reason I ask, selling a PC like this, if you put it at the $900 range you will probably get a lot more interest than at $1000. How important is the extra $100 for you? It might mean the difference between selling it in weeks vs months. As well most people looking for a used PC are looking in the sub-$1000 range, because for $1000 they may as well buy a brand new one.

Edit: Although with that being said, sometimes you can get lucky and sell it to someone that doesn't know much about computers. I don't condone this and don't believe it's entirely ethical... but it can be done. Recently I saw a post for a 6970 for $800 used (not here) and I contacted the guy and mentioned that these only go for about $350 new... and he said that I must not know anything about computers and he said sold several for this price. So either the guy is lying (most likely) or he is getting away with murder and selling this to people with little to none computer knowledge.

So if you are really set on selling this for the $1200 price range, list it and see what happens. Worst case you don't get any offers and you lower it in a few weeks. Or you may get some counter-offers for something a bit less.

luciferin

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
I'm certainly not set on any particular price, the $1000-$1200 range came from taking a couple hundred bucks of the current retail cost to account for my use. That's why I posted this here, really, so I could get the opinions of a few other tech savvy people about what might be a reasonable price for the rig. I'm not even sure I'm going to sell it yet, but it's become a little too much computer for me lately. The amount I actually game has dropped off considerably, and I was curious to see if I could get a decent enough price to replace it with a cheaper build that might suit my needs a little better.

The problem is, it is a used PC. PC's don't carry resale value well at all. No warranty, no customer support, and a terribly short useful life. For a rig like this, the parts though good, are already considered yesterdays news for an enthusiast machine. And, you are running out of spec, (overclocking) that does nothing to help your sale or the value. I say it's worth about exactly 1/2 of what the parts would cost to build it, somewhere in the $650 - $800 range, and if someone did offer you $800 and you really wanted to sell this thing, be advised to take it!

I would agree... Also, keep in mind that while overclocking isn't frowned upon by most of us here, the used hardware market isn't as kind. If someone knows you overclocked they may immediately think "shortened lifespan" or "higher risk" and devalue your PC.

I would never consider buying used hardware if I knew someone had been tinkering and overclocking it.

luciferin

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
All valid points, and right now it seems like selling it might be more trouble than its worth. I appreciate all the input guys! :D