Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will currently available AM3+ motherboards support future AM3+ procs?

Last response: in CPUs
October 24, 2011 5:01:29 AM

...and what do you think the lifespan will be of this socket?

Best solution

October 24, 2011 5:06:31 AM

Dragnerok X said:
...and what do you think the lifespan will be of this socket?

Current AM3+ socket's will support the future am3+ CPU's and maybe even beyond like the am2+ mother boards supported the am3 CPU's, one thing to like about AMD is if you want a faster CPU in future, you don't have to go out and back another $150 Motherboard so you can stick your new $350 dollar CPU in it ;)  so i would say that the AM3+ Motherboards have a long future ahead of them.
November 3, 2011 2:28:17 AM

Best answer selected by Dragnerok X.
m
l
Related resources
a c 127 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2011 4:34:19 AM

joshuaaa77 said:
Current AM3+ socket's will support the future am3+ CPU's and maybe even beyond like the am2+ mother boards supported the am3 CPU's, one thing to like about AMD is if you want a faster CPU in future, you don't have to go out and back another $150 Motherboard so you can stick your new $350 dollar CPU in it ;)  so i would say that the AM3+ Motherboards have a long future ahead of them.

While this is correct, its not 100% correct. There is always the matter of the motherboard manufacture needing to update the BIOS to support said new CPU.

As for AMD, they are pretty consistent with it but they have only so much control over it.
m
l
November 3, 2011 6:36:44 AM

Most newer processors will run on an olfer mobo even if required a bios update without needed, you just wont get told by the mobo what cpu you are running and temperature programs wont read the cores properly. i know this fron experience from my old asus m2n68 mobo when i mhzwas running an and 720 on it, although the six cores did not run properly on them as it would xown clock all the cores to 800 mhz. other than that all newer motherboards have an auto bios update so you would not need to worry to much.
m
l
!