Mobo, cpu and memory for A.D.D. multi tasking computer user

pengyou

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
I know my question covers more than just mobo and memory but I think these 2 components are the most crucial. The software is also an issue. I want to build a new system that is optimized for opening a lot of applications and files at the same time. I often have as many as 50 webpages open at one time, am watching some video files to do editing, have tbird open for emails, wordpage, skype, msn, qq, facebook, a couple of word docs, video processing (editing or rendering) I have an amd dual core II cpu with a gigabyte all in one mobo and 4gb of ram. Last year I upgraded from a Pentium D and did not notice any significant improvements. I originally had XP pro on this sytem but installed Linux Mint to see if I could realize any improvements. It was noticeably faster booting up but did not seem to be any faster or slower when I was up and running.

I know that separately, each of the tasks that I do work well on a P4. I know because my old faithful notebook is a P4. What I need is a pc that is very stable and quick when all of these things are open at the same time.

Any current PC can do what you described with adequate memory, the question is how much you want to spend vs how long the tasks will take to complete.

The most demanding task listed is 'Video Editing', so you need to be specific about how much time, size of the files and in particular the use of the end video projects.

Q - Budget?
Q - More specific details on your 'Video Editing' projects?
Q - Specific 'Video Editing' Application(s)? ; Adobe Premiere, etc
Q - Business or Personal use?