swapping hd from one thinkpad to another

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
July 20, 2005 4:50:32 PM

i realize this is a long shot but...

my trusty 600x finally gave up the ghost.. was running xp on the 20G
drive. got my hands on a t40 that worked for a few weeks until the 40G
hd crashed! well, pulling the old 600x hd and inserting it into the
t40, while attempting to boot up, gave me the BSOD in all modes
(normal, safe, safe with prompt, etc.).. the good news was that it was
able to read from the hd.. btw- i did not see any BIOS config for HD in
the setup menu.

just wondering if there was anything i could do. would love to be able
to retrieve the info from my old 600x hd.

thanks!

More about : swapping thinkpad

July 21, 2005 12:00:37 AM

rottyguy70@yahoo.com wrote:
: i realize this is a long shot but...

: my trusty 600x finally gave up the ghost.. was running xp on the 20G
: drive. got my hands on a t40 that worked for a few weeks until the 40G
: hd crashed! well, pulling the old 600x hd and inserting it into the
: t40, while attempting to boot up, gave me the BSOD in all modes
: (normal, safe, safe with prompt, etc.).. the good news was that it was
: able to read from the hd.. btw- i did not see any BIOS config for HD in
: the setup menu.

: just wondering if there was anything i could do. would love to be able
: to retrieve the info from my old 600x hd.

A couple of different issues here. First of all, modern BIOSs do not
have configurations for the hard drive - they auto-detect it. You
may not see anything listed in the BIOS beyond the fact that your hard
drive is detected. If your drive started to boot Windows, the BIOS is
completely a non-issue.

The real issue is probably your ability to boot Windows XP. Your
Windows install is either tied to the BIOS of the old computer (if
it was an OEM version of Windows) or needs to be re-activated. If
it's the latter, try doing a repair install from the Windows XP CD and
see if you can fix the Windows install.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

<rottyguy70@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| i realize this is a long shot but...
|
| my trusty 600x finally gave up the ghost.. was running xp on the 20G
| drive. got my hands on a t40 that worked for a few weeks until the
40G
| hd crashed! well, pulling the old 600x hd and inserting it into the
| t40, while attempting to boot up, gave me the BSOD in all modes
| (normal, safe, safe with prompt, etc.).. the good news was that it was
| able to read from the hd.. btw- i did not see any BIOS config for HD
in
| the setup menu.
|
| just wondering if there was anything i could do. would love to be
able
| to retrieve the info from my old 600x hd.
|
| thanks!

Your old 20G HDD is probably going to be a lot slower than some of the
modern HDDs that are available today.

If you are just trying to recover your data from the 600x HDD, you can
get a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter and temporarily connect it to a desktop
PC. You can then transfer your data to the desktop.

Chas.
!