Tags:
  • Asus
  • Cooler Master
  • CPUs
  • Components
Last response: in Components
October 24, 2011 9:38:28 AM

Hello,
My CPU fan is not starting automatically on bootup and when it wakes up from "sleep" mode.
If i manually give it 2-3 spins with a finger then it starts to purr & my ASUS monitoring software handles it perfectly afterwards.

It is plugged into the CPU_Fan header on the mobo. I'm using the stock fan/heat sink that came with the AMD Phenom II. (Looks like it's a coolermaster fan.)

Other system info:
ASUS M5A97 Pro mobo
CoolerMaster GX Bronze 650W PSU
HD6850 GPU Sapphire Toxic (requires 2 6-pin cables)
Nothing is overclocked
UEFI BIOS version is up-to-date
Win 7 OS

More about : cpu fan starting asus a97 pro

October 24, 2011 10:12:23 AM

Have you cleaned out the fan recently? Doesnt sound like a power issue. Sounds like some crap got built up inside your heatsink its having a hard time getting fired up. Cheap Solution would be to go out and get you a $40 aftermarket cooler. That way if that fixes your issue it was only $40 and you have a better CPU cooler. If it still happens, you know its a problem with the MB and you didnt have to take it to Geeksquad for them to tell you your MB is trash. GOOD LUCK!!
October 24, 2011 10:35:02 AM

aviconus said:
Have you cleaned out the fan recently? Doesnt sound like a power issue. Sounds like some crap got built up inside your heatsink its having a hard time getting fired up. Cheap Solution would be to go out and get you a $40 aftermarket cooler. That way if that fixes your issue it was only $40 and you have a better CPU cooler. If it still happens, you know its a problem with the MB and you didnt have to take it to Geeksquad for them to tell you your MB is trash. GOOD LUCK!!

Thanks Aviconus. I should have added that i just built the system in the last month and all componants are brand-new.
October 24, 2011 11:04:29 AM

If everything is new, next I would check to make sure that there are no loose wires from the connector, bent pins on the cpu fan slot, and ensure that it is fully seated. It isnt beyond the realm of possibility that you just have a bad CPU fan. If you built it in the last month, chances are it is still under-warranty. Wouldnt hurt to try and exchange it, if its free anyways. Take advantage of it if you have it.
!