Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First computer build, keeps freezing up.

Last response: in Systems
July 26, 2011 6:58:21 PM

I built my first build yesterday and had Windows 7 64 Bit (OEM) installed and everything. Once I started to install updates, it would freeze, also making a loud noise on my speakers if it was on. It did it again when I was trying to install some games. Today I switched the RAM slots and it worked for awhile, then it did it again when I ran one of my games. (ingame)

My specs are
AMD Phenom ii X4 965 BE 3.4 GHz
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO motherboard
AMD Radeon HD 6700 series
2x2GB G Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600 RAM
550w Antec PS

I checked my CPU to make sure it wasn't overheating, 43 degrees Celsius.

My power supply should be enough, 550w Antec PS.

Why does it keep doing this?
July 26, 2011 7:11:07 PM

Manually check that your drivers are up to date. This includes your GPU as well as all MB components...
m
l
July 26, 2011 8:37:15 PM

Just updated my video card drivers, except AMD High Definition Audio Device comes up, can't find the driver for that.

I just ran a game, froze when I got ingame still.

EDIT: I just unplugged my headset...game didn't crash at all for 5 minutes. Could this be the culprit?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

July 27, 2011 12:08:04 PM

It could be the headset. I would still hit the ASUS driver page and make sure your chipset, audio, and other components are using the latest driver as well.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&m...

Try using the headset outside of the game and see if you get any odd behavior...
July 28, 2011 12:22:56 PM

Sorry it took me awhile to reply, had work and sleep and all.

Well I found out what it was, I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic and it would freeze at a certain point, so I brought it down to my RAM.

Just when I was about to RMA it, I looked in the BIOS and the DRAM Voltage was set to auto, I set it to stock voltage and boom, build works like a charm.

Ty for still helping me sadams!
m
l
July 28, 2011 12:23:20 PM

Best answer selected by oboloz.
m
l
!