Status
Not open for further replies.

61laz

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
Hello, i´ve recently bought a XFX 6870 and i think the temp is just to high in idle it is okay about 39 degrees celcius but when gaming it reached 90 degrees celcius my case have got enough fans to cool it i think its 1 in the front side back and top of the case al of them are 120 mm fans i hope some of you people have some experience with the same graphics card aswell. because te graphics card fan is running at 40 % fan speed when it gets so hot that fast enough because that is 2250 RPM already it can go up to 4500 RPM max then it is really loud. please let me know if you also had this problem or if you know the answer.

the card shouldn't have any dirt or dust, it's brand new.

but the case might! Especially if there are filters over the fans. Definitely worth cleaning out the intake and make sure everything in the case is clean. Just use a compressed air duster, and if you need to vacuum use a plastic nozzle because vacuums can have a big static charge built up and that can hurt the PC if it discharges.

And a really easy way to diagnose if case airflow is the issue is to simply open the case up, in an open area, and see if the temps are lower. If your PC is inside a small cabinet, even with the fans working, it's going to get hot.

61laz

Distinguished
May 20, 2011

I have the fans like the way you said the side and front is intake back and top is exhaust.

61laz

Distinguished
May 20, 2011

The Graphics card is brand new so that shouldnt be the problem either.

61laz

Distinguished
May 20, 2011

I am using the NZXT Lexa S crafted serie using 2 of the 120 MM original fans of NZXT and 2x 120 MM apollish vegas and the day i installed the card i cleaned everything i even took of the CPU cooler and put new thermal paste on it cleaned the whole case i already did pretty good job at the cable management so thats not the problem airflow is ok.

Well the only thing I can think of then is that the card's heat sink isn't attacked properly for whatever reason. Might be defective. You can RMA it if you don't mind not having it for a while, but otherwise a much faster and easier solution would be simply to remove the heatsink, clean it up, and apply new thermal paste.

BTW I recommend Arctic Cooling MX3

61laz

Distinguished
May 20, 2011

I think i'll be able to remove the heatsink and apply some new thermal paste cause i dont really want to sit here without graphics card so there wont be gaming for me :p but do you think that difficult ? removing heatsink from the GPU cause mine is from XFX also got that plastic cover around it .

Thats perfectly normal.The reference designs of the 6870 have horrible horrible cooling and I believe they have the fan speeds by defualt to not kick in unitl exceeding 90c(Max temp is 103c).I know because I have a XFX 6870 and when I game it would reach in the high 80c's until I got MSI Afterburner and set a manual fan speed.Even the Asus versions with aftermarket cooling reach high temps of 87c.This is mainly because of the way their fan speed's work.And BTW your idle temps are fine mine are about the same(38c) and my load temp would be the same but I has a custom fan speed.

If you want cooler temps downlaod MSI Afterburner and make your own fan speed's.Just to warn you it will get very loud.

I think the companies realize how much of a turn off the loud fans can be so thats why I think they have those fan speed settings set to really low speeds.I've never seen the stock fan speed go over 46%.I guess it will hit the wall at around high 80's to low 90's.Of course that is perfectly safe but it will make other componets hotter and not make the card last as long.

61laz

Distinguished
May 20, 2011

Tnx for your replys guys and BTW im also using the MSI afterburner made the fan go spin to max 40 % then it will be the temps i mentioned and noise is loud at 60 % already :D but i think i have enough answers by now the card is just getting hot should have bought the black edition with dual fan :(.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
running a XFX 6870 with the dual fans and don't think it's ever passed 65° C. have Afterburner's fan profile running 25% up to 35°, to 75% @ 50°, to 100% @ 60° and up. doesn't get that loud even at 100%.
my old 4890 used to idle @ 60° and max around 90°, i imagine the new cards can go quite a bit further and be safe but i wouldn't want to risk it. you may want to look into getting a new cooler for your GPU, i see cheap dual fan setups but you may be voiding the warranty on your card.

areamike

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
What program are you using to monitor the GPU temperatures?

I use CPUID - HWmonitor.

Also, I never see my 6870's temps exceed 70C. I did, however, remove my side panel from my case and my overall temps dropped. I too had a side fan blowing in, front fan blowing in and two rear exhaust fans. With my side on, my temps are higher than with it off.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011

should be prepared to replace your components more often than usual with that side panel off. lint, dust, & dirt are the main cause I've seen of components clogging up with crap and then eventually dying. maybe if you have no pets and no carpet it'll be fine though.

areamike

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

I clean my PC once every few months. Also, I don't ever put my computers on the floor. They are always up off the floor on my desk or on stand next to my desk. NEVER on the floor or in an enclosed computer desk cabinet.

Most dust is accumulated on the floors of our homes.

I do have two little wiener dogs, but they don't really shed and are never in my office.

Also, even with the side panel on and that side fan blowing in, unless you have a filter on the fan you will accumulate more dust than with it off. I can attest to this as I have tried both ways and have seen the results both ways

bongpacks

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
30C-45C is within the normal range for this card, I have the same card only I have the dual-dissipation model with dual fans and heatpipes and all that and mine idles at 58C, so I'm returning the damn thing. Your load temps however are a bit closer to worrisome, anything above 90C and I'd be worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.