Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PSU for 6850 or 6870

Last response: in Components
October 24, 2011 10:58:55 AM

Will the antec earthwatt 430D good for a HD6850 or a 6870?

Also, if I am right, this antec psu has only one 6 pin connecter, and the 6870 needs two. Is there a cable i can buy to somehow make it work ?

More about : psu 6850 6870

a b ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 11:17:38 AM

According to this
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-revie...

Neither of the 2 cards are going to work with that PSU.

Even though cables are available for utilizing other power connectors in the GPU, we would never advise it. Especially since you're under cutting the minimum requirements of the card as it is.
a b ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 11:21:44 AM

Yes there are Molex to 6pin PCI-e power cables available, the Sapphire cards for example ship with one included in the package.
I would not suggest using it though as it is not as stable as dedicated PCIe power.

As for whether a 430W PSU is enough - No it isn't.
AMD suggests a 500W minmum and I always add another 100W to be on the safe side.

Look at an Antec High Current Gamer (HCG) series 620W PSU for example.

What are the rest of your specs?
Related resources
a c 87 ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 4:09:56 PM

6850s only need one 6pin PCIe connector.

As far as I'm concerned that Guru3D link is actually evidence for a high quality 430W PSU (as the Antec Earthwatts is) being enough for either of those cards.
Those numbers are taken at the wall so 10-20% can be taken off to see what their system actually drew. Also those numbers were from full GPU stress which does not happen very often for most people, so typical power consumption will be lower, unless you run Furmark or one of BOINC's GPU clients frequently.
As both systems were drawing less than 430W at the wall, it is not a question of whether the 430W PSU is enough, because it is, because the Antec Earthwatts 430 can provide 430W continuously at or below 50C. The question is whether the 430W PSU will have enough 'headroom' for the user to feel comfortable. As well as other considerations like connectors, noise levels, upgrade options, etc.

The 500W recommendation from AMD is to take account for the fact that some people will try to use power supplies which are not high quality. I suspect that the 500W recommendation from Guru3d is partly to cover themselves and because they personally wouldn't feel comfortable with stressing a PSU beyond 50%.

If you already have the Antec Earthwatts 430D then I would say keep it and try it out before deciding whether you need to replace it or not.
a b ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 4:44:32 PM

Silvune said:
6850s only need one 6pin PCIe connector.

As far as I'm concerned that Guru3D link is actually evidence for a high quality 430W PSU (as the Antec Earthwatts is) being enough for either of those cards.
Those numbers are taken at the wall so 10-20% can be taken off to see what they system actually drew. Also those numbers were from full GPU stress which does not happen very often or most people, so typical power consumption will be lower, unless you run Furmark or one of BOINC's GPU clients frequently.
As both systems were drawing less than 430W at the wall, it is not a question of whether the 430W PSU is enough, because it is, because the Antec Earthwatts 430 can provide 430W continuously at or below 50C. The question is whether the 430W PSU will have enough 'headroom' for the user to feel comfortable. As well as other considerations like connectors, noise levels, upgrade options, etc.

The 500W recommendation from AMD is to take account for the fact that some people will try to use power supplies which are not high quality. I suspect that the 500W recommendation from Guru3d is partly to cover themselves and because they personally wouldn't feel comfortable with stressing a PSU beyond 50%.

+1
a b ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 4:47:30 PM

Silvune said:
If you already have the Antec Earthwatts 430D then I would say keep it and try it out before deciding whether you need to replace it or not.

Disagree with that, 430W would push the PSU to it's limit and the system will crash immediately.
Another thing, if the OP needs to hook up more fans or PCI cards or OC his CPU or RAM..the 430W will fail him and cause serious damage.
My advise is to go with a 600-650W for current needs and future upgrade
a b ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 5:54:24 PM

ilysaml said:
Disagree with that, 430W would push the PSU to it's limit and the system will crash immediately.
Another thing, if the OP needs to hook up more fans or PCI cards or OC his CPU or RAM..the 430W will fail him and cause serious damage.
My advise is to go with a 600-650W for current needs and future upgrade

man you are misinformed about PSU, silvune is 100% correct

Custom PC build using the corsair CX430 and the GTX460 1GB which uses similar power then either the 6850 or 6870. The corsair CX430 is not as well built as the antec EW 430 and offers less power on its 12v rail then the antec.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/buyers-guide/2011/07/1...

also the neither GPU would push the antec to 430w nor would it crash if they did (the unit itself is more then capable of proving more then 430w)

test system under stress does not hit 320w (full CPU+GPU load) , gaming wise you would be well under power figures.
Test System Specs
- Intel Core i7 920 (Overclocked @ 3.70GHz)
- x3 2GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 (CAS 9-9-9-24)
- Asus P6T Deluxe (Intel X58)
a b ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 6:54:13 PM

dirtyferret said:

Custom PC build using the corsair CX430 and the GTX460 1GB which uses similar power then either the 6850 or 6870. The corsair CX430 is not as well built as the antec EW 430 and offers less power on its 12v rail then the antec

Sorry, but who are you to tell me that I'm uninformed about PSUs ?
Did you read my post pretty well ? when adding more fans, HDDs, PCI cards..all of that consumes about 90W, and what if he OCed?
Linus measures the wattage required for each card in full system load with the CPU i7 785K overclocked, the HD 6870 take 400W from the wall. "on a test bench"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyeM5zf8Qpk
You didn't know the OP full system specs to say 430W is fine and no one uses the tight required wattage for his system, usually adds 100W for safety. because if he over wattage the PSU will shut down and cause serious problems.
And also if you noticed, i said future upgrades.
a b ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 6:56:45 PM

ilysaml said:
Did you read my post pretty well ? when adding more fans, HDDs, PCI cards..all of that consumes about 90W, and what if he OCed?
Linus measures the wattage required for each card in full system load with the CPU i7 785K overclocked, the HD 6870 take 400W from the wall. "on a test bench"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyeM5zf8Qpk
You didn't know the OP full system specs to say 430W is fine and no one uses the tight required wattage for his system, usually adds 100W for safety. because if he over wattage the PSU will shut down and cause serious problems.
And also if you noticed, i said future upgrades.

I am a guy who knows more about PSU and proved all your opinions false with actual facts, that is who I am. You may not like it, feel embarrassed, but you must accept your limited and incorrect knowledge and live with it.
a b ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 7:03:24 PM

If you knew more about PSUs, you wouldn't recommend a 400W for a system.
What did you prove to be wrong ? and i never said incorrect info? you're not believing the most reputable sites that recommended a 500W PSU and you believe your own assumption ? And if i were you, i wouldn't be such an arrogant.
And i feel embarrassed because there are such guys like you here
a b ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 7:28:35 PM

OMW can't believe this has turned to an argument, I am to lazy to prove this with simple math now, but silvune and dirtyferret are not playing it safe.

OP needs a larger PSU, period.
a b ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 7:53:06 PM

ilysaml said:

once again I will prove you incorrect with actual facts, proving your lack of knowledge on the subject.

HDD at load 8w
Case fan ay load 2w

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-psu-re...

so you are saying the OP may add a total of 9 HDD and case fans to his PC (don't most budget cases only hold 5 of each?) ? possibly but highly doubtful so you are really just grasping at air. Also, if you where not so quick to defend yourself from embarrassment, you would have noticed the i7-920 in the test was OC a full 1GZ (that is some good OC) yet the system still stayed at under 320w.
a b ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 8:55:46 PM

So, let's do the math
CPU (my overclocked one) consumes 141W
RAM 2 sticks each consume 4 = 8W
say OP has 2 HDDs = 20W
2 ODD = 16W
Add in card = 8W
5 fans including CPU = 15W
MOBO OCed = 55W
GPU 200W (Overclocked, GPU core: 980MHz, Vcore=1.281V)
Total = 463W
Your link showed the HD 6870 to consume 317W while overclockers showed the total of 338 when the CPU was OCed to 3.6
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_6870_d...
Not all the PSUs consume the same amount of wattage

a b ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 8:59:49 PM

dirtyferret said:

Custom PC build using the corsair CX430 and the GTX460 1GB which uses similar power then either the 6850 or 6870. The corsair CX430 is not as well built as the antec EW 430 and offers less power on its 12v rail then the antec.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/buyers-guide/2011/07/1...

also the neither GPU would push the antec to 430w nor would it crash if they did (the unit itself is more then capable of proving more then 430w)

test system under stress does not hit 320w (full CPU+GPU load) , gaming wise you would be well under power figures.
Test System Specs
- Intel Core i7 920 (Overclocked @ 3.70GHz)
- x3 2GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 (CAS 9-9-9-24)
- Asus P6T Deluxe (Intel X58)
http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/325/bench/Power.png

Where did you get that chart? It does not make any sense!
a b ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 9:46:20 PM

You can accurately determine if your current PSU has the proper wattage and 12v rail amps. and is a quality PSU that can meet the power needs of your current or future PC build, from the link below. No guessing or speculation is required. If your current PSU won't cut it then you can find a PSU that will have enough power and be reliable.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/314712-28-please-read...
a c 273 ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 10:44:15 PM

Just get a quality 500-650W unit and you'll be fine.
I wouldn't advise using a molex adapter on a psu that only came with with one pci-e connector.
If the maker designed the unit for that purpose it would have came with 2 x pci-e.
a c 87 ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 10:59:14 PM

Novuake said:
...I am to lazy to prove this with simple math now, but silvune and dirtyferret are not playing it safe.

I would like to see this proof.

It is perfectly safe to use a high quality PSU at even 100% load (as long as it is operating in conditions at or below its operating temperature). So as far as I'm concerned you (or anyone else) needs to prove that the system coldest will be using will either draw more than 430W or will be using his computer in temperatures higher than 50C for me to say anything other than he will be perfectly safe using a 430W PSU with his system.

It is of course up to coldest if he is comfortable stressing his PSU to 100% or 90, 80, 70, 60 etc on a regular basis. I have highlighted 60 and 70% as I believe those as high as he would ever go and he would have to be stress/torture testing to achieve that.

What is not safe about a user stressing his PSU to 70%?

Again, a perfectly legitimate reason to buy a larger wattage PSU is if he wants to give himself more upgrade options in the future or to not have to use adapters to get the second PCIe connector for a 6870.
a c 243 ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 11:05:59 PM

Silvune said:
I would like to see this proof.

It is perfectly safe to use a high quality PSU at even 100% load (as long as it is operating in conditions at or below its operating temperature). So as far as I'm concerned you (or anyone else) needs to prove that the system coldest will be using will either draw more than 430W or will be using his computer in temperatures higher than 50C for me to say anything other than he will be perfectly safe using a 430W PSU with his system.

It is of course up to coldest if he is comfortable stressing his PSU to 100% or 90, 80, 70, 60 etc on a regular basis. I have highlighted 60 and 70% as I believe those as high as he would ever go and he would have to be stress/torture testing to achieve that.

What is not safe about a user stressing his PSU to 70%?

Again, a perfectly legitimate reason to buy a larger wattage PSU is if he wants to give himself more upgrade options in the future or to not have to use adapters to get the second PCIe connector for a 6870.

Oh No :o 
Then you're not hitting that magic 50% load number :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
October 24, 2011 11:17:15 PM

wow, I didn't know this will turn into such an argument, I guess if I get the 6870, I am gonna get a antec earthwatt ea500d and if i get the 6850, i will get the 430.

couple more questions, majority of the psu has the fan on top. and my case has the psu mounted on the top, does that mean, I need to buy psu that have a rear fan?or is it okay to have the fan facing up?

also, since the 6870 needs two 6 pins for power, and the antec earthwatt ea500d's spec is PCI-Express Connector: 1 x 6-Pin, 1 x 6+2-Pin, so there are six 2pin connectors and i can take 3 of them to get another 6 pin?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
October 24, 2011 11:19:55 PM

Rest of my spec:
I5 2500
1 HDD
8GB ram

Best solution

a c 273 ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 11:20:58 PM

coldest said:
wow, I didn't know this will turn into such an argument, I guess if I get the 6870, I am gonna get a antec earthwatt ea500d and if i get the 6850, i will get the 430.

couple more questions, majority of the psu has the fan on top. and my case has the psu mounted on the top, does that mean, I need to buy psu that have a rear fan?or is it okay to have the fan facing up?

also, since the 6870 needs two 6 pins for power, and the antec earthwatt ea500d's spec is PCI-Express Connector: 1 x 6-Pin, 1 x 6+2-Pin, so there are six 2pin connectors and i can take 3 of them to get another 6 pin?

Antec Earthwatts Green 650W - $52.46/free shipping
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59339&vpn=EA650Green&m...
Fine for the psu intake fan facing up or down in a bottom mount case.(some cases provide a cut-out/filter)
October 24, 2011 11:22:02 PM

davcon said:
Just get a quality 500-650W unit and you'll be fine.
I wouldn't advise using a molex adapter on a psu that only came with with one pci-e connector.
If the maker designed the unit for that purpose it would have came with 2 x pci-e.

the problem here is that it comes with 1 x 6-Pin and 1 x 6+2-Pin, it that 2 pci-e there?
a c 273 ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 11:22:49 PM

coldest said:
the problem here is that it comes with 1 x 6-Pin and 1 x 6+2-Pin, it that 2 pci-e there?

2 x 8(6+2)-pin PCI-E connectors
a b ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 11:27:24 PM

delluser1 said:
Oh No :o 
Then you're not hitting that magic 50% load number :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

seriously, what a great marketing play that magic 50% is
a b ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 11:32:01 PM

coldest said:

correct 2 PCI-E connectors. the 6+2 can fit in either a 6-pin or 8 -pin port. for the 6 pin you simply snap the "2" pin connector and it hangs off to the side as such

October 24, 2011 11:32:35 PM

davcon said:
Fine for the psu intake fan facing up or down in a bottom mount case.(some cases provide a cut-out/filter)

my case is a top mount case? so this psu fan will be facing up, to the wall..and it is okay?
October 24, 2011 11:49:18 PM

I'm not reading through this whole thread, but 430W from a quality PSU is probably enough for most single mid-tier cards.

Depending exactly on your parts...
cpu: ~100W
gpu: ~150W
mobo: ~100W
oc / head room: ~100W
total: ~450W

I'm not a PSU expert, but I believe that Antec unit is a quality part, so you should be ok. People who tell you to get a 650W PSU for a single card have no idea what they're talking about. If anything, you want to avoid getting a PSU that's too large as they're less efficient at lower power usage than smaller capacity units.

Anecdotal evidence, but I run i5-2500k @ 4.4Ghz, 2x5850, 2x4GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HDD, 2x140mm + 2x120mm fans, and dvd burner on a 600W 80+ bronze PSU. I'm at the low end of the safe zone, but I did my research and math and figured out how many amps I needed and picked a PSU that worked in my budget. No problems whatsoever. My point is, if I'm running 2x5850 on 600W, you don't NEED 600W for a single 6870.
a c 273 ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 11:51:10 PM

coldest said:
my case is a top mount case? so this psu fan will be facing up, to the wall..and it is okay?

Personally i would reverse it in a top mount.
The psu fan is fresh air intake for cooling the unit,the hot air is expelled out the back of the unit.
a b ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 11:51:37 PM

coldest said:

the PSU goes in fan side down when going into a top mount case
a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2011 2:50:13 AM

Ok, to the OP, since we have all stopped arguing try to fill this out and see how much power will you approximately need. And then let us know how much you already have :) 

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

This is one of many PSU requirement checkers online and do a pretty good approximation of such dilemmas.
October 25, 2011 3:12:28 AM

alyoshka said:
Ok, to the OP, since we have all stopped arguing try to fill this out and see how much power will you approximately need. And then let us know how much you already have :) 

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

This is one of many PSU requirement checkers online and do a pretty good approximation of such dilemmas.

only 356W with a 6870
a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2011 3:14:01 AM

Then you're good to go with the Antec 430D. I hope you put in all the other stuff too that was required like number of hdds, pci cards, cdroms, cooler, fans, etc etc
October 25, 2011 3:19:25 AM

alyoshka said:
Then you're good to go with the Antec 430D. I hope you put in all the other stuff too that was required like number of hdds, pci cards, cdroms, cooler, fans, etc etc

too late now, I already ordered the Antec Earthwatts Green 650W for 52 bucks. only 7 bucks more than the 430.
but i haven't order my 6870 yet, and i only have 10.5 inches for it. majority of these cards are super long. i am choosing between a xfx brand at 8.6 inches or the powercolor at 9.5inches. so, which one should I get? or other suggestion for a tiny case

a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2011 3:21:36 AM

Then you're in the really safe zone......
a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2011 3:52:38 AM

Stressing the PSU all the time will cause the capacitors, coils to heat up and the PSU will probably crack in a short time, reviewers stress it for few hours (during reviewing)

And again, see my calculations above, you'll find out that the PSU withdraws more than a 430W in case of overclocking the CPU, GPU.
Whether you needed a 6850/70 you gonna at least need a 500W PSU as reviewers recommended.
Anyway great choice that you have ordered a higher wattage one.
a c 273 ) Power supply
October 25, 2011 4:36:44 AM

coldest said:
too late now, I already ordered the Antec Earthwatts Green 650W for 52 bucks. only 7 bucks more than the 430.
but i haven't order my 6870 yet, and i only have 10.5 inches for it. majority of these cards are super long. i am choosing between a xfx brand at 8.6 inches or the powercolor at 9.5inches. so, which one should I get? or other suggestion for a tiny case

Good case prices.
quality but cheap
Coolermaster Elite 370 - $32.15 fits cards 12.4" long/ bottom mount psu
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=55447&vpn=RC%2D370%2DK...
Better case.much larger interior and cooling options
Coolermaster Haf 912 - $56.00
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=55583&vpn=RC%2D912%2DK...
Good 5870
MSI R6870 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 6870
a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2011 8:39:46 PM

ilysaml said:
Stressing the PSU all the time will cause the capacitors, coils to heat up and the PSU will probably crack in a short time, reviewers stress it for few hours (during reviewing)

And again, see my calculations above, you'll find out that the PSU withdraws more than a 430W in case of overclocking the CPU, GPU.
Whether you needed a 6850/70 you gonna at least need a 500W PSU as reviewers recommended.
Anyway great choice that you have ordered a higher wattage one.

your calculations have all been proven to be inaccurate so please stop referring to them as if they have any meaning other then made up numbers. it has been established by informed testers (rather then fan boys) that the system will only draw 320w at peak with an OC system.

320 of 430-500w is not stressing so you are incorrect in that assessment also. you seem to be zero for life in your PSU knowledge

a b ) Power supply
October 26, 2011 3:44:14 AM

Between XFX & Powercolor...... I'm really at a loss of words..... I can't help you choose between the these two companies since they both have come up with ample stuff that fails later on down the road and at the same time they have come up with stuff that has lasted for years.
It's a 50-50 chance with these two, if you go for any of these companies then you ought to have a service point really close to your place or have a good customer care center around your area.
a b ) Power supply
October 26, 2011 3:47:18 AM

dirtyferret said:
your calculations have all been proven to be inaccurate so please stop referring to them as if they have any meaning other then made up numbers. it has been established by informed testers (rather then fan boys) that the system will only draw 320w at peak with an OC system.

320 of 430-500w is not stressing so you are incorrect in that assessment also. you seem to be zero for life in your PSU knowledge

replying to you is really a waste of time
November 2, 2011 2:46:35 AM

Best answer selected by coldest.
November 2, 2011 2:51:51 AM

davcon said:

thanks for the link, this website is $12 less than newegg.
by the way, i didn't buy neither of the cards, instead, i went for the 560 ti
two items together = $292.
" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
a c 273 ) Power supply
November 2, 2011 2:12:00 PM

coldest said:
thanks for the link, this website is $12 less than newegg.
by the way, i didn't buy neither of the cards, instead, i went for the 560 ti
two items together = $292.
http://i43.tinypic.com/2dl3tzl.jpg" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

NP dude! thx for B.A.
NCIX is the absolute best in Canada and now you guys get to enjoy excellent prices too!
Nice gpu!
Enjoy!:) 
!