conman124

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Hi,

This will be my first computer build, and I want to make sure that I get everything right.

Motherboard: MSI 880GM-E41

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz

Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) KVR1333D3N9K2/8G

GPU: SAPPHIRE 100323L Radeon HD 6570

Mostly, I'm concerned about motherboard compatibility with the rest of my components. According to MSI's compatibility reports for CPUs, memory, and video cards, none of these components are compatible. However, I know that they can't possibly test every piece of hardware. I can see that similar models of CPUs are compatible and that a similar memory module was tested. I would also assume that an ATI card would be compatible with an AMD board.

Does this seem OK?
Thank you,
Conman124

Solution
An 880G chipset should support those parts IF MSI have updated the BIOS
but if they dont list the Phenom 840 on their site they may not have done that .

In anycase buy an AM3+ motherboard so you have an upgrade path to the next generation AMD processors .
An 880G chipset should support those parts IF MSI have updated the BIOS
but if they dont list the Phenom 840 on their site they may not have done that .

In anycase buy an AM3+ motherboard so you have an upgrade path to the next generation AMD processors .

Solution

conman124

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Thanks for the advice.

After some research, I found out that the AMD Phenom II x4 840 is just a rebrand of an Athlon II. So no L3 cache. However, I found that the 955 Black Edition is only $5 more on Newegg right now. Plus it's on the supported list, so I think I will go with that one for now.

From what I've read, a lot of motherboard manufacturers are planning on providing updates for their BIOSes to allow AM3+ CPUs to work in AM3 motherboards. Even if MSI doesn't do that, I think I will be ok with that.

Thanks again,
Conman124