Help installing i5 2500k

corymorrison

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
ive recently bought parts for a new gaming rig, installed everything but wasnt sure how to install the cpu. lol just used to the pins being on the cpu itself. so i looked it up but couldnt find anything. i put it in anyways and im pretty sure i put it in right but when i turned on my pc nothing happened besides the fans and everything started spinning. the mobo wasnt posting or anything, so i cleared the cmos, re-seated the ram, used a gpu i knew that worked, tried a different pcie lane, still nothing. so i returned the mobo and cpu. the new ones just came today. would really like some detailed help on just putting the whole thing together. thanks for any help:)

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
erm im sure if you look in the box that the cpu comes in there are info on installing the cpu and the cooler. if not then check for this little triangle thing on the corner of the cpu and then the one on the socket then place the cpu with the triangle pointing toward the triangle in the socket then lock the cpu in place

With Socket 775 we moved from having pins on the processor to using a system we call LGA or Lan Grid Array. With this system you will find that boards that support this connection type will have little hair thin connection points/springs that pop up in the socket on the board. As long as you are using a support board and nothing has bent those connections points on the board you shouldn’t have a problem with the processor not making contact with the connection points on the board. To make sure that you are point the processor in the socket correctly you will see two small indentation on the sides processor that match up with the socket.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

corymorrison

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011

ok so i have i5 2500k, i put it in the socket verycarefully, and closed the latch. is it normal to hear a crunching sound?

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

what do you mean crunching sound, do you mean the scraping sound when you lock the latch or have you broke something?

a_tractor

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Guys i just hope you get it to work good luck guys. its pretty simple inserting a cpu?
About the crunching sound? that dosent sound good but it might be fine?
just boot it up. see if it works. Thats a nice cpu you have there i was planning on getting one myself. tell us if you get it to work.

corymorrison

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011

ok. thank you. everything works good now. have one more question though. when im on the computer with steam downloading a game in the background, and google chrome with like 4 or 5 tabs open the cpu is at a temp of 28-30 celcius. is that normal? also it says the motherboard is at 25 celcius

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
28 to 30 Celsius is very good when idling (even lower than mine, though do note my 25C room temp is higher than what most would have but even then, 28 to 30C is superior). When temps start getting to 45 or 50 when idling or above 70C at any time, then you have cause for concern.

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

that is perfectly normal, and anyway you shouldnt worry about lower temps unless they are unrealistic, its the higher ones that you have to worry about

corymorrison

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
so i was playing TF2 everythiing maxed out at a res of 1920x1080 for about half an hour, when i exited out my temp was at like 39 celcius. i have an asrock p67 extreme4 gen3 mobo, and it comes with a program called asrock extreme tuner which lets me see my temps, etc.. does anyone know if this program is reliable at all for reading temps?

TRENDING THREADS