Sign in with
Your question

Is overclocking i7 2600k is a problem in hot conditions

Last response: in CPUs
October 24, 2011 2:45:30 PM

im living in a country where the temp is 40c outside,pretty hot..every time we cannot except a air condition.. so is there any problem to overclock i7 2600k..with a coolermaster 212 hyper plus cooler..i should get 50c max even at heavy gaming when overclocked to 4.5ghz..suggest me a good cabinet to achieve this condition with my gtx 560ti card..
a c 478 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 24, 2011 3:38:18 PM

The problem with cooling a computer is that the higher the ambient temperature, the less effective a heatsink will be. There if the ambient temp is 40C and you want your CPU to be at most 50C, then I think that is not realistic.

The Hyper 212+ is a good heatsink for the price you pay, but it is certainly not the best heatsink out there. If you already bought it then nevermind. My generic recommendation for thermal paste is Artic Silver 5 (AS5). There are slightly better thermal pastes out there and while AS5 is no longer the absolute best, it still ranks in the top 10 thermal paste. Perhaps even in the top 5.

I have seen tests where the i7-2600k was overclocked to 4.5GHz and the CPU temps ranged from 65C - 74C and that was in a room where the ambient temp was much lower than 40C. I would get that if you were to OC to 4.5GHz you will be close to 80C if not more.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 24, 2011 3:39:36 PM

Cooler Master HAF 932. Great air flow, and will house any hsf you buy. download CoreTemp, a temperature monitor for your cpu, and make sure that your processor under full load does not go over 80c. This is just a guestimate, as i am not an intel OC'er, but i know my brother has pushed into the 80's on stability tests. Ask a bit more, and look into the OC'ing forums. Many stickies on intel procedures for OC.
m
l
Related resources
October 25, 2011 8:48:34 AM

the problem is when i play game for more than 15mins the temp rises to 60c ..then rising again to 70c..i dont know whether overclocking is not best for my area
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2011 12:40:36 PM

seems a little high for no OC. i would make sure you have a nice even coating of Thermal Grease on your cpu/HS, and then make sure that the HSF is seated properly and tight.
m
l
October 25, 2011 12:59:15 PM

ya its seated properly ..the problem is the ambient temp.one of my friend decided to buy a 2500k cpu with p67 mobo and the same cm hyper 212 plus cooler after seeing my problem he jumped to a non overclocked gaming machine which is i7 2600,Gigabyte H61M-S2P-B3,6gb corsair 1333mhz ,corsair 550tx psu and gtx560ti..he brought a normal case which does not look like a gaming case ..but the performance is better than me he can play games for 3-4hrs with temp of 45c with stock cooling..but me not possible at that temp..even he got better specs than me without overclocking ..finally i was dissapointed for buying a overclocking cpu..
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2011 1:07:45 PM

Well, maybe it would be best to invest in an air conditioner for when you game. Its just as expensive as new hardware, and you could keep it going in the room your pc is in. This would help with room ambient temps, and possibly give you a better performing rig.
m
l
a c 478 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2011 1:56:51 PM

As I stated, your temps will be high because your ambient temps are high. The hotter the environment the less effective a heatsink will be no matter how good it is.

If you do not want to buy an air conditioner, then perhap you want to consider a liquid / water heatsink cooling system. Or whatever they are called.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2011 2:07:07 PM

for his ambient temps, he would have to spend a fortune on a custom loop to get any real results. even an H100 wont touch that type of climate...AC is the way to go in my book.
m
l
October 25, 2011 4:55:49 PM

so concluding that overclocked system is not a option i should going at this temp..
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2011 5:08:36 PM

vishalaestro said:
im living in a country where the temp is 40c outside,pretty hot..every time we cannot except a air condition.. so is there any problem to overclock i7 2600k..with a coolermaster 212 hyper plus cooler..i should get 50c max even at heavy gaming when overclocked to 4.5ghz..suggest me a good cabinet to achieve this condition with my gtx 560ti card..

What voltage are you using to achieve 4.5ghz? Trust me, Sandy likes low voltage... I'm at 4.5 @ 1.32v LLC3, 4.6 I use offset +.01v, etc and so on...
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2011 5:08:52 PM

you should be fine. just watch your temps, and get an AC! lol
m
l
October 25, 2011 5:13:25 PM

i have an ac.. i cannot run ac every time i play games its current hungry..and i cannot fix a water cooled cpu cooler..coolermaster hyper 212plus will be the max cooler i can buy..voltage is 1.35 @45
m
l
October 25, 2011 5:15:49 PM

jaguarskx said:
The problem with cooling a computer is that the higher the ambient temperature, the less effective a heatsink will be. There if the ambient temp is 40C and you want your CPU to be at most 50C, then I think that is not realistic.

The Hyper 212+ is a good heatsink for the price you pay, but it is certainly not the best heatsink out there. If you already bought it then nevermind. My generic recommendation for thermal paste is Artic Silver 5 (AS5). There are slightly better thermal pastes out there and while AS5 is no longer the absolute best, it still ranks in the top 10 thermal paste. Perhaps even in the top 5.

I have seen tests where the i7-2600k was overclocked to 4.5GHz and the CPU temps ranged from 65C - 74C and that was in a room where the ambient temp was much lower than 40C. I would get that if you were to OC to 4.5GHz you will be close to 80C if not more.

tell me a psu for the below specs
i7 2600
Gigabyte H67M-D2-B3
gtx 560ti
seagate 500hdd
corsair value select 2x4gb 1333mhz
antec 300 cabinet
lg dvd writer
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2011 5:38:53 PM

vishalaestro said:
i have an ac.. i cannot run ac every time i play games its current hungry..and i cannot fix a water cooled cpu cooler..coolermaster hyper 212plus will be the max cooler i can buy..voltage is 1.35 @45

Understanding not every chip is the same but 1.35v @ 4.5ghz seems a bit too aggressive. Is it fixed? Here look at mine:

Some people are able to hit 4.5 @ 1.28v... I could possibly go lower, but I'm comfortable with my temps so I haven't bothered.

edit: point is, you can OC just control the voltages better and you'd have more of a foothold so-to-speak over the temps. And as Casual mentioned, you could get a cheapo AC...
m
l
October 25, 2011 6:09:40 PM

ok at 1.28 volt can i get a temp of 45 at idle and 50-55c at full load without ac
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2011 6:29:02 PM

vishalaestro said:
ok at 1.28 volt can i get a temp of 45 at idle and 50-55c at full load without ac

Depends on ambients and fixed voltage... I like offset because at idle the proc. clocks down to X16 @ .98v (a little less). What's the hottest it gets in your room...
m
l
October 26, 2011 3:59:33 AM

ambient temp is high then what to do..not depending on water cooling only air..i heard many issues with i7 overclocking from the site where i brought they said in this conditions overclocking is not possible without ac but i didnt believe i brought it now disappointed..its all right hereafter i will not recommed my friends to buy a overclocking system as it does not suits my room temp..
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2011 6:49:07 AM

why not just use phase change cooling? Ambient temps then become essentially a moot point.
you can't get temps with aircooling below the ambient temperature of the surroundings.
m
l
!