What are the main differences between these 2 RAMs & which is better??

Status
Not open for further replies.

WILDLEGHORN

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
I need to know the main differences between these two RAMs! More details the better :)

http://www.theitwares.com/gskill-sniper-240pin-ddr3-sdram-ddr3-1600-12800-desktop-memory-model-f312800cl9d8gbsr-p-2254.html

http://www.theitwares.com/gskill-ripjaws-series-240pin-ddr3-sdram-ddr3-1600-12800-desktop-memory-model-f312800cl9d8gbxl-p-2411.html

Which one should I get if performance & low heat is my main criteria for gaming?
And most importantly what are the main differences between those 2 RAMs anyway?

Solution

The X Series modules look better to me (which is why I bought them for my own rig), but performance wise, there's no difference in how they cool.

Second part to you question, it's just Single Channel vs. Dual Channel (1 module vs, 2). In general, Dual Channel is better, but it's not a huge difference, it just adds more available bandwidth.

With that said, I'd go with the 2x4GB kit myself.
No difference besides the heat spreaders. Both are exactly the same, otherwise. Just go with which ever one you like the looks of the most.

Also, heat is a non-issue for DDR3 RAM. All DDR3 modules run very cool and don't even really NEED the heat spreaders anyway. Just there for looks.

WILDLEGHORN

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

But still which one among those two has better heat spreaders?
Also performance wise is there any difference if I get 1x8Gb RAM instead of 2x4gb ??
Does a single module yield a bit better performance or something?

The X Series modules look better to me (which is why I bought them for my own rig), but performance wise, there's no difference in how they cool.

Second part to you question, it's just Single Channel vs. Dual Channel (1 module vs, 2). In general, Dual Channel is better, but it's not a huge difference, it just adds more available bandwidth.

With that said, I'd go with the 2x4GB kit myself.

Solution

WILDLEGHORN

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

performance wise is there any difference if I get 1x8Gb RAM instead of 2x4gb ??
Does a single module yield a bit better performance or something?

Read my edit to the reply above for that answer. But two modules is better than one because of Dual Channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.