Sign in with
Your question

Intel vs amd

Last response: in CPUs
October 24, 2011 4:31:50 PM

Hello,
i am trying to find out whoich of the three processors is the best one to go for when buying a laptop. I really don't know anything about processors, but i want one that has good reviews, and is quite good for ofice use, like using a lot of typuing and also good for movies and editing and stuuf. but what i really wnat to know is a few of the main pros and cons for each of the following processors plz:
Dual-core AMD E-350 processor
Intel® Core™ i5-460M processor
Intel® Core™ i3-2310M processor
Intel® Core™ i5-2410M processor
Thank you

More about : intel amd

a c 471 à CPUs
October 24, 2011 5:06:13 PM

The AMD E-350 is the weakest CPU in the list, but I suppose if you are looking for a low cost laptop, then it should suffice.

The i3-2310M is a 2nd generation Core i3 CPU known as Sandy Bridge. It has the integrated Intel HD 3000 graphics core which is much more powerful than the old GMA 4500. It is marginally more powerful than a desktop Radeon HD 5450 video card. Good enough to play most non-demanding games with a mix of low and medium graphic settings. It lacks Turbo Boost.

The i5-460M is a 1st generation Core i5 CPU known as Clarkdale. It lacks an internal graphics core so a budget laptop with this CPU will end up with the Intel GMA 4500. In terms of gaming performance, I will say that it is half of what the Intel HD 3000 graphics core can provide. All i5 and i7 have Turbo Boost which is like an automatic overclock and boost CPU from 2.5GHz to 2.8GHz when only one CPU core is stressed, or 2.7GHz when both cores are stressed.

The i5-2410M is a Sandy Bridge CPU so it comes with the integrated Intel HD 3000 graphics core. Turbo Boost increases the CPU from 2.3GHz to 2.9GHz when only one core is stressed and 2.7GHz when both cores are stressed. At the same clock speed Sandy Bridge CPUs are on average 10% - 11% faster than the Clarkdale CPUs. Therefore, a 2.0GHz Sandy Bridge CPU is about the equivalent to a 2.2GHz Clarkdale CPU.
October 24, 2011 5:52:19 PM

i5-2410 would be my choice on that list.

However I don't believe yet in laptops being able to game. Someday I will live to see one that can...
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 24, 2011 6:08:29 PM

what is your budget? but for movie editing the i5 2410 is absolutely the better choice although it most likely came with a 700$+ pricetag
October 25, 2011 8:41:29 PM

Amd has become garbage while Intel keeps on innovating. Intel has more cache most of the time which makes them better in bench-marks. End of story!
October 25, 2011 8:57:21 PM

Please explain what will you be doing mainly on the laptop. Will you be doing video editing?
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2011 1:44:22 AM

Djentleman said:
Amd has become garbage while Intel keeps on innovating. Intel has more cache most of the time which makes them better in bench-marks. End of story!

It's more than just cache that makes them better..... :pfff: 

Intel Core i7 2600k

Total L2 cache: 1MB

L3: 8MB

Total: 9MB

Amd FX 8150

Total L2 cache: 8MB

L3: 8MB

Total: 16MB

If i just applied that logic right now that "more cache makes (someone) better most of the time" AMD should of been miles ahead.....

Main thing is the arch of the cpu is what really classifies how good a cpu is. Cache is only a part of the equation.
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2011 1:48:06 AM

nm05 said:
Hello,
i am trying to find out whoich of the three processors is the best one to go for when buying a laptop. I really don't know anything about processors, but i want one that has good reviews, and is quite good for ofice use, like using a lot of typuing and also good for movies and editing and stuuf. but what i really wnat to know is a few of the main pros and cons for each of the following processors plz:
Dual-core AMD E-350 processor
Intel® Core™ i5-460M processor
Intel® Core™ i3-2310M processor
Intel® Core™ i5-2410M processor
Thank you

Well i think everyone listed about as much you need to see about each cpu.

The question now is, what's your budget and (if you were looking at the laptops already) which laptops are you exactly looking at?
!