MSI Z68A-GD80 won't post with Adaptec 5805 RAID controller

papalion

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I built a new system on MSI Z68A-GD80 motherboard, Intel i5 2500K, 8GB Kingston HyperX RAM (4 DIMM) and OCZ Agility 3 SSD (for OS and programs) and onboard graphics. I planned on using the Adaptec 5805 RAID controller from my old system with 3x500 GB Seagate HDD in RAID 5 for data.
The system powers up and POSTs normally without the Adaptec RAID card, but when the Adaptec RAID card is in, the system powers up but will not post. I have tried it in PCIe slot #2 as well as PCIe slot #3 (set as IGD as well as PEG), both with and without HDDs connected to RAID adapter.
I even tried adding a graphics adapter (XFX 8600GT). No post w/ monitor connected to graphics adapter or onboard DVI.
Is this motherboard or Z68 chipset incompatible with the Adaptec RAID adapter or is there something I am not doing correctly?
PLEASE HELP!

System:
MB: MSI Z68A-GD80 motherboard
CPU: Intel i5 2500K
RAM: Kingston HyperX RAM (4x2GB)
Graphics Adapter: onboard
SSD: OCZ Agility 3 SSD
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos 1000
CPU Cooler: Antec Kuhler H20 620
Optical Drive: Lite-On Super Multi SATA DVD+/-R/RW
Other: Iomega REV 32GB
(Trying Adaptec 5805 RAID controller w/ Seagate Barracuda ES 500GB x3)

WCarp

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009

Hello,

The answer by butcher71 appears to be Adaptec's "official" answer to your problem if your motherboard has a UEFI BIOS.

I too have a similar problem. I upgraded to a newer ASUS Sabertooth 990FX motherboard and of course tried to migrate my 5805 card to the new motherboard which has a UEFI BIOS. I found that with the 5805 card in any appropriate slot, the motherboard would not POST. This wasn't nice! (I happened to also have a power supply problem also so that didn't help with the initial troubleshooting.)

I tried the 5805 on a total of three of the same new ASUS motherboards and it did the same thing. I called Adaptec Support and they thought it was the 5805 that was the problem so the card was RMA'd. That turned out to be rather costly and time consuming and I found that I had the same problem with the new 5805. A very interesting thing about this issue is that Adaptec's 2405 RAID card works OK in this motherboard but it's not supposed to according to Adaptec. I have notified Adaptec about these issues and have yet a good explanation of why the 2405 works and the 5805 doesn't.

I also suggested that Adaptec make their controllers work properly with the newer motherboards that have the UEFI BIOS. They responded by writing "Thanks for your comments regarding support of EFI boards in general, this is obviously something that we are working on introducing."

I hope that Adaptec will put a lot of effort to get this problem solved quickly. This particular computer has not worked for months and I kind of would like to get it working very soon.