Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can't Flash BIOS

Last response: in Motherboards
July 21, 2012 8:56:31 AM

I am trying to flash my BIOS and I am trying to follow directions from the manufacturer in this case MSI. Their website instructs to use their live update utility. But when I contacted them, they told me do not use that for my BIOS and they sent me the file to update with, and instructions on how to flash. But my keyboard will not work in DOS from the bootable disk I created as per their instructions. It does work in command prompt when the computer has completely started (it's a USB Keyboard) I looked for USB settings in BIOS nothing works. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

My Board http://www.msi.com/product/mb/PM8M-V.html#/?div=Detail

Flash Instructions http://us.msi.com/service/TroubleShootGuide/

Specs

O/S: Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
Processor: 3.20 gigahertz Intel Celeron
Power Supply: Corsair VX 550W
Mother Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7104 20A MSI PM8M-V Socket 478 Motherboard
RAM 2048 MB DDR
Hard Disk: 1TB
Hard Disk Two 80GB
BIOS BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 02/22/2006
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy-Model Number SB0570 Presently using onboard.
Graphics: RADEON 9200 PRO Family (Microsoft Corporation)
Desktop Case L x W x H) Approx. 17.0' x 7.0" x 14.0"

More about : flash bios

a c 435 V Motherboard
July 21, 2012 4:16:55 PM

I'm surprised live update won't work with your board. Perhaps msi has removed the bios files from live update to make room for newer motherboards. Why do you want to flash your bios on such an old board?
m
l
July 21, 2012 5:11:01 PM

Cause someone is trying to help me with a BSOD problem, and asked me to adjust the RAM voltage, the quick guide suggests there is a Frequency/Voltage control, but my BIOS does not have it. Maybe i should just leave it alone huh?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 435 V Motherboard
July 21, 2012 9:38:04 PM

Yes. I would leave it alone if you don't have the funds to replace it. Run memtest with each stick one at a time in the slot closest to the cpu. You may reset the bios by removing the board battery for one minute with the power supply unplugged. If you bought the ram new, it may have a lifetime warranty; most major brands do. You can always request an rma off their website. It won't cost anything to try.
July 22, 2012 2:07:02 AM

o1die said:
Yes. I would leave it alone if you don't have the funds to replace it. Run memtest with each stick one at a time in the slot closest to the cpu. You may reset the bios by removing the board battery for one minute with the power supply unplugged. If you bought the ram new, it may have a lifetime warranty; most major brands do. You can always request an rma off their website. It won't cost anything to try.

This my RAM http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT1... I ran memtest86 4.20 on both sticks for 13 passes a few days ago with no errors. I presently have the stick closest to the motherboard removed and my 80 gig slave drive removed, the machine is working like a charm no BSOD. What does this tell you?

Why would I reset the BIOS. What wil that do? Thanks for posting!
m
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
July 22, 2012 5:22:20 AM

Many folks will try fixing an unexplained problem by resetting the bios, especially on older boards. It doesn't hurt anything; better than handling components. Touch them as little as possible. Glad it's working fine now; cross your fingers, knock on wood.
m
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
July 22, 2012 10:32:46 AM

There's only one round lithium battery; it's held in place by a spring; it's about the size of a watch battery (3/4 inch diameter) on the bottom edge; just press on the tang and it will pop out.
m
l
July 22, 2012 3:39:16 PM

Thanks
m
l
August 8, 2012 6:31:54 PM

Best answer selected by Chala.
m
l
!