Solved

Basic Home Server

So through my university I got a free copy of Server 2008 R2, and last weekend decided to play around with a building a server out of a old computer (P4 3.06). The server is just going to be a file a media server that will back up the computers in the house, along with streaming to the families iphones using air video. I did not set up very much but noticed when converting/streaming to my phone the processor was stuck at 100%, so i was gonna drop in a dual or quad core that I have laying around.

Just picked up a cheap am2+/am3 MB and was wondering which processor I should put in, Athlon X2 64 4400+ or the Phenom X4 9600. Just want something that will handle the load and be as efficient as possible (running 24/7).

First server build so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about basic home server
  1. Best answer
    The better the processor the better the server will run its common sense. Phone suck to convert.
  2. I was mainly wondering if the 4400+ will be able to handle the load fine b/c it will it will eat a little less power and be a little cheaper to run.
  3. I would pick up something in the Athlon II/Phenom II line myself. I run an athlon II x2 240 in my server but I don't have the need to convert video on the fly like you do. Perhaps an x3 or x4 would suit you better.
  4. I would just prefer to use what I have so the bill doesnt start running up. So it seems like the conscious it go with the 9600.
  5. I missed the part where you said you had them laying around, yes go with the 9600.
  6. I'm going to propose going a different direction- for a home server you can do most of the same stuff with a Linux server.
  7. linux is an OS, not hardware. We haven't even discussed that yet but is of course high on the list for a server OS.
  8. Go with linux even though I got the Server 2008 for free?
  9. gonemtbiking123 said:
    Go with linux even though I got the Server 2008 for free?

I'm sorry that I forgot to make my real point in my previous response on this thread. Linux requires a lot less hardware to run on than Windows Server and would run fine on the hardware that you already have.
  10. Best answer selected by gonemtbiking123.
Ask a new question

Read More

Servers Components