revolution: wi-fi?

What exactly does wi-fi mean in terms of the revolution? Will you need a
router, like wi-fi for a computer?
11 answers Last reply
More about revolution

    John Salerno wrote in alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance:

    > What exactly does wi-fi mean in terms of the revolution?

    WiFi appears to tie into the Revolution's "All-Access Gaming" paradigm,
    where Revolution owners would be able to go online, not only to compete
    and socialize, but also to download games from Nintendo's 20-year-old
    game library.

    WiFi on the Revolution is also tied into to the DS: with WiFi, gamers
    can experience linked handheld/console gameplay, like with the GameCube
    and the GBA, but without the clutter of cables. This wireless link may
    even allow players to download select games from the Revolution to the
    DS for portable play (not only for as long as the DS is powered up, but,
    maybe with the introduction of a flash memory module for the DS, for
    much longer).

    > Will you need a router, like wi-fi for a computer?

    Only if you're going online with the Revolution. The console itself will
    have a WiFi transceiver, but a WiFi access point, router, or WiFi-
    enabled cable or DSL modem would be needed for the Revolution to access
    the Internet (as would be the case with a WiFi-equipped PC or PDA).

    --
    Glenn Shaw • Indianapolis, IN USA
    To reply by e-mail, remove "nospam" and swap "cast" and "net"

    Glenn Shaw wrote:

    >>Will you need a router, like wi-fi for a computer?
    >

    > Only if you're going online with the Revolution. The console itself will
    > have a WiFi transceiver, but a WiFi access point, router, or WiFi-
    > enabled cable or DSL modem would be needed for the Revolution to access
    > the Internet (as would be the case with a WiFi-equipped PC or PDA).

    Can you still connect with a cable? It's faster that way, right? The
    wireless thing will be great for connecting the DS though (and maybe the
    GBA?)

    John Salerno wrote in alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance:

    <regarding connecting the Revolution to the Internet>

    > Can you still connect with a cable? It's faster that way, right?

    Yes, a hardwire connection would be faster, but it's not known at this
    point if the Revolution will have an Ethernet jack -- Nintendo's
    Revolution press release* mentioned only two USB 2.0 ports, but no
    Ethernet ports. I would be surprised if the Revolution is launched
    without Ethernet ports, though, given their presence on both the
    PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360, both of which are WiFi capable (the PS3
    with integrated WiFi, and the Xbox 360 via an add-on).

    > The wireless thing will be great for connecting the DS though (and
    > maybe the GBA?)

    The DS, definitely, but I'm not sure about the GBA... the E3 press
    conference didn't mention whether the Revolution could connect with the
    GBA wirelessly**, but wireless connectivity with the DS via WiFi was
    specifically mentioned, IIRC.

    -----
    *http://tinyurl.com/9vjch

    ** *If* a GBA-to-Revo wireless link were supported, both the GBA and the
    SP would likely require a hardware add-on similar to the Game Boy
    Advance Wireless Adapter to connect to the Revolution.)

    --

    Glenn Shaw wrote:

    >>The wireless thing will be great for connecting the DS though (and
    >>maybe the GBA?)
    >

    > The DS, definitely, but I'm not sure about the GBA... the E3 press
    > conference didn't mention whether the Revolution could connect with the
    > GBA wirelessly**, but wireless connectivity with the DS via WiFi was
    > specifically m

    One more thing: how do you acces wi-fi with the DS right now? I was just
    reading about this in NP. It seems you can get on the wireless
    connection you already have (in my case, a cable modem connection via a
    router). Do you just turn on the DS and it picks it up?
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    John Salerno wrote in alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance:

    > One more thing: how do you acces wi-fi with the DS right now? I was
    > just reading about this in NP. It seems you can get on the wireless
    > connection you already have (in my case, a cable modem connection via
    > a router). Do you just turn on the DS and it picks it up?

    I don't have a WiFi router, so I can't say. There also don't seem to be
    any options in the DS' configuration menus from what I can tell.
    Speculation: Maybe the connection is controlled by whatever game is
    currently plugged in the DS.

    I understand that Animal Crossing DS will be the DS' first online-
    enabled game, so when that game launches (this November, from what I
    hear), we may get a glimpse of how WiFi really works on the DS.

    BTW, in which issue of NP did you read of the DS' online capabilities?
    (I recently signed up for the free three-issue trial subscription for
    the new redesigned NP.)

    --
    Glenn Shaw • Indianapolis, IN USA
    To reply by e-mail, remove "nospam" and swap "cast" and "net"
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Glenn Shaw wrote:
    > John Salerno wrote in alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance:
    >

    >>One more thing: how do you acces wi-fi with the DS right now? I was
    >>just reading about this in NP. It seems you can get on the wireless
    >>connection you already have (in my case, a cable modem connection via
    >>a router). Do you just turn on the DS and it picks it up?
    >

    > I don't have a WiFi router, so I can't say. There also don't seem to be
    > any options in the DS' configuration menus from what I can tell.
    > Speculation: Maybe the connection is controlled by whatever game is
    > currently plugged in the DS.
    >
    > I understand that Animal Crossing DS will be the DS' first online-
    > enabled game, so when that game launches (this November, from what I
    > hear), we may get a glimpse of how WiFi really works on the DS.
    >
    > BTW, in which issue of NP did you read of the DS' online capabilities?
    > (I recently signed up for the free three-issue trial subscription for
    > the new redesigned NP.)

    The newest one (July) that I just got in the mail. It doesn't give
    details, but it's the first I had heard of it.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    John Salerno wrote in alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance:

    > Glenn Shaw wrote:
    >>
    >> BTW, in which issue of NP did you read of the DS' online
    >> capabilities? (I recently signed up for the free three-issue trial
    >> subscription for the new redesigned NP.)
    >
    > The newest one (July) that I just got in the mail. It doesn't give
    > details, but it's the first I had heard of it.

    That's the first issue I'll get from the trial offer. I haven't received
    my copy yet, but I'll keep a sharp lookout anyway (I wouldn't be
    surprised if it comes in the mail today). Thanks for the tip. :)

    --
    Glenn Shaw • Indianapolis, IN USA
    To reply by e-mail, remove "nospam" and swap "cast" and "net"
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Glenn Shaw wrote:
    > John Salerno wrote in alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance:
    >

    >>Glenn Shaw wrote:
    >>
    >>>BTW, in which issue of NP did you read of the DS' online
    >>>capabilities? (I recently signed up for the free three-issue trial
    >>>subscription for the new redesigned NP.)
    >>
    >>The newest one (July) that I just got in the mail. It doesn't give
    >>details, but it's the first I had heard of it.
    >

    > That's the first issue I'll get from the trial offer. I haven't received
    > my copy yet, but I'll keep a sharp lookout anyway (I wouldn't be
    > surprised if it comes in the mail today). Thanks for the tip. :)

    The new design is very nice. Have you seen the old design?
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    John Salerno wrote in alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance:

    > The new design is very nice. Have you seen the old design?

    IIRC, the last issue with the old design is the June issue, currently on
    newsstands. The most recent issue I physically have is January's, Volume
    187 (with the DS on the cover).

    I've seen photos of the Nintendo Power display at E3; the display
    featured spreads of the new issue layouts. (I also heard that Nintendo
    was giving out copies of the new NP at E3 -- I heard that reading it was
    an excellent way to pass the time waiting to play the Twilight Princess
    demo.) The new design seems to make HP look more like EGM (though I must
    admit that I've not read EGM on a regular basis for a long time), with a
    layout that seems less "loose" and random than the old one.

    I'll reserve further judgement until I get my hands on a copy of the new
    NP, but I like what I've seen so far.

    --
    Glenn Shaw • Indianapolis, IN USA
    To reply by e-mail, remove "nospam" and swap "cast" and "net"
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Glenn Shaw wrote:
    > John Salerno wrote in alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance:
    >

    >>The new design is very nice. Have you seen the old design?
    >

    > IIRC, the last issue with the old design is the June issue, currently on
    > newsstands. The most recent issue I physically have is January's, Volume
    > 187 (with the DS on the cover).
    >
    > I've seen photos of the Nintendo Power display at E3; the display
    > featured spreads of the new issue layouts. (I also heard that Nintendo
    > was giving out copies of the new NP at E3 -- I heard that reading it was
    > an excellent way to pass the time waiting to play the Twilight Princess
    > demo.) The new design seems to make HP look more like EGM (though I must
    > admit that I've not read EGM on a regular basis for a long time), with a
    > layout that seems less "loose" and random than the old one.
    >
    > I'll reserve further judgement until I get my hands on a copy of the new
    > NP, but I like what I've seen so far.

    Yes, I was reminded of EGM as well, especially when I saw the review
    section, but that's not a bad thing. It looks much more streamlined, and
    not so 'childish', although that's not really the right word.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "John Salerno" wrote in message > Glenn Shaw wrote:

    > One more thing: how do you acces wi-fi with the DS right now? I was just
    > reading about this in NP. It seems you can get on the wireless
    > connection you already have (in my case, a cable modem connection via a
    > router). Do you just turn on the DS and it picks it up?

    Yes and no.

    Yes, the DS is capable of supporting TCP/IP over 802.11b (albeit, 2Mbs).

    No, it can't be done (yet) as no software has been released to do such.

    The built-in connectivity (Pictochat and Downloader) in the DS use
    Nintendo's propriertary wireless scheme. Also, all of the games, so far,
    also use Nintendo's proprietary wireless scheme.

    This is my main frusteration with the DS. I can see the DS's signal, using
    Netstumbler, just fine on my laptop -- but can't do a thing with it.

    In my opinion, Nintendo really missed an excellent opportunity from the
    get-go with the DS. Imagine if the DS shipped with even a small 802.11b and
    TCP/IP capable internet application (such as a streamlined web browser)?
    Imagine if "Mario Kart DS" shipped at the same time -- and not only WLAN
    capablity but also 802.11b TCP/IP capability? As long as you are in range
    of an AP, you could play "Mario Kart DS" against someone on the other side
    of the planet as easily as against someone in the same room.

    Nintendo gave a presentation not to long ago where they made a comment
    stating, "We don't want to have users have to enter SSID's and WEP/WPA
    keys". This immiedietly made me believe that they probably weren't going
    to move towards internet with the DS, but the next day (following the
    presentation) they made a "damage control" statement stating that not only
    was internet a future goal with the DS but that also a internet portal (XBox
    Live'ish) was in the works. Apparantly, I wasn't the only person that took
    the "SSID/keys" comment as meaning that internet was definetly not on the
    agenda for the DS.

    Internet portal isn't needed for internet multiplay, but it gives Nintendo
    the capability of ensuring overall quality control for all games. It will
    also be convienent for all of us as it'll use "gamertags" -- making internet
    multiplay easy and standardized. Best of all, access to the portal will be
    free. To get there, you will only need to be in the range of a wireless
    access point.

    I'm waiting for third parties to start doing some cool stuff with the DS as
    well. An email client and web browser would be a perfect fit for the the
    DS. Perhaps an MP3 player that allows streaming across the internet? You
    could stream MP3's from your home computer while out in public (and
    accessing an AP). All kinds of cool stuff is possible.

    Back to Revolution and wireless. Unless you have a T3 or more, a wireless
    internet connection for Revolution shouldn't be any slower than a hardwired
    ethernet connection. Even with 802.11b, your wireless pipe is larger than
    your cable/DSL pipe. If you are bottlenecking across the air, you probably
    have quite a bit of RFI going on.

    Doing speed tests (from ISP's server), I see ~ 4.82 Mbs (out of advertised 5
    Mbs) whether I'm connected directly (ethernet) to my cable modem or going
    wireless to my router (802.11a, 802.11g, or even 802.11b). For internet
    traffic, I see no difference in data rates at all. Now, for local WLAN
    traffic (PC-PC), obviously hardwired ethernet yields best results by a large
    margin.

    Cheers,
    -E

Console Gaming Games WiFi and Home Networking Gameboy Video Nintendo Video Games