USB 3.0 pci cards

augerpro

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Couple questions about upgrading to USB 3.0 without having to get a new mobo. Are the USB 2.0 ports on my computer case compatible (as in full performance) with USB 3.0? If so, all I really need is a 3.0 pci card with regular mobo type USB connection? Any good cards you can recommend?

popatim

Titan
USB 2.0 cannot acheive usb3 performance. What often happens is the usb3 device is not able to even saturate the usb2 bus though so even if you plug it into a 3.0 port you dont get a speed boost. Slow flash drives are a prime example. Many usb3 drives aren't any faster than their usb2 couterparts.

USB3 ports are physically different than usb2 ports, they have 5 more connectors yet they still accept usb2 devices (just as usb2 ports will accept usb3 devices). You would not be able to connect your front panel usb2 ports to a usb3 header and have it work ... if you can even find a card with one.

augerpro

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011

I see, was not sure if there were more wires/connectors involved, so this reply helps. Well in that case I'll probably just get a regular pci card with the external connections and just get an extended cable to wrap around the front of my computer.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007

augerpro

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
That SIIG looks good! I'll probably get that.

So what would be a good 1-3 foot cable extension? I've had problems with cheap USB cables in the past and I suppose 3.0 is even more demanding?

Wonder if there is a way to retrofit my case? It's Thermaltake Tsunami Dream that I love and don't really want to part with it.

augerpro

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011

Just not as user friendly, and I didn't want to be forced to use extensions, as I said I've had trouble in the past with them.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Well, if you get the SIIG, there is no "retrofitting". It goes into a drive bay, and pci slot, then has an internal cable (yes it is of decent quality). If you want a different brand, check Amazon for USB 3.0 cables (they have tons, ignore anything branded Monster tho).