Your question

Processor for multiple vmware

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Processors
  • VMware
Last response: in CPUs
October 24, 2011 9:12:27 PM

What is the best processor for running multiple vmwares installed with share point 2010.

More about : processor multiple vmware

a b à CPUs
October 24, 2011 9:16:59 PM

The i7 2600
m
l
October 24, 2011 9:20:53 PM

abekl said:
The i7 2600

Depending on how many VM's he is running/how much RAM he has/wants, wouldn't an 8 core AMD bulldozer CPU be better?
m
l
Related resources
October 24, 2011 9:23:20 PM

3-4 vmwares, 8 gb ram
m
l
October 24, 2011 9:28:44 PM

Also depends what you are doing with the VM's

To be honest the CPU isn't normally the limiting factor, any quad-core CPU is enough. I run 3 - 4 VM's with an old AMD Athlon II x4 and I hardly ever max that out just with VM's my IO speed lets me down I would recommend RAID

m
l
a c 190 à CPUs
October 24, 2011 9:31:08 PM

The Intel® Core™ i7-2600 and it support for VT-d (Virtualization with directed I/O) would be the best processor at this time for that environment. You do need to make sure that you have a board that will support it. In most cases you are going to have to focus on a board with the Q67 chipset like the Intel Desktop DQ67SW and the Intel Desktop DQ67OW. Both Gigabyte and Asus have Q67 boards that will also support VT-d.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
October 24, 2011 10:00:24 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
The Intel® Core™ i7-2600 and it support for VT-d (Virtualization with directed I/O) would be the best processor at this time for that environment. You do need to make sure that you have a board that will support it. In most cases you are going to have to focus on a board with the Q67 chipset like the Intel Desktop DQ67SW and the Intel Desktop DQ67OW. Both Gigabyte and Asus have Q67 boards that will also support VT-d.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

How can you tell him that this CPU would be best for his environment when you don't know what his environment is/what he is trying to do with his environment... How much are intel paying you? Oo

But seriously it really depends on what VM's you are running/what you are doing with them. Unless of course money is no object and you are just looking for the best CPU possible.

FYI amd has AMD-V which is similar to intel's VT-*
m
l
October 24, 2011 11:13:57 PM

I will be using this for developing sharepoint applications, Build and test.
One Instance would be installed with Sharepoint 2010 server standalone [ sharepont and sqlserver are installed in same VM]and other two instances with different enviromments to access the sharepoint server. Infuture may use the Sharepoint form, with sharepoint and SQL server installed in seprate VMs. I will also install another Rational requisite pro in a different VM.

Not sure of the mother board to be used.
m
l
October 24, 2011 11:29:01 PM

Spgaddipati said:
I will be using this for developing sharepoint applications, Build and test.
One Instance would be installed with Sharepoint 2010 server standalone [ sharepont and sqlserver are installed in same VM]and other two instances with different enviromments to access the sharepoint server. Infuture may use the Sharepoint form, with sharepoint and SQL server installed in seprate VMs. I will also install another Rational requisite pro in a different VM.

Not sure of the mother board to be used.

You probably wan't more than 8GB ram considering how cheap ram is these days I would go for 16GB maybe even 24GB. I'm guessing that you are not going to be doing any performance testing so any quadcore CPU will probably do the trick depending on your budget the more cores the better, I don't think the speed of the cores will make much difference if your not gaming.

I would go for the 8 core AMD bulldozer CPU if your just in it for the virtualization, or the 6core phenom
m
l
October 24, 2011 11:33:30 PM

aaab said:
You probably wan't more than 8GB ram considering how cheap ram is these days I would go for 16GB maybe even 24GB. I'm guessing that you are not going to be doing any performance testing so any quadcore CPU will probably do the trick depending on your budget the more cores the better, I don't think the speed of the cores will make much difference if your not gaming.

I would go for the 8 core AMD bulldozer CPU if your just in it for the virtualization, or the 6core phenom

Which one would you suggest in Intel Processors
m
l
a c 158 à CPUs
October 25, 2011 1:03:46 AM

I would suggest an AMD X6 processor such as the 1090T for a lower cost build

for Intel I would use the i7-2600 (not the K version)
m
l
October 25, 2011 1:17:06 AM

popatim said:
I would suggest an AMD X6 processor such as the 1090T for a lower cost build

for Intel I would use the i7-2600 (not the K version)

How do you compare this with i5 2500 or i5 2500k
m
l
!