Sign in with
Your question

Won't boot, BSOD every 20 min

Last response: in CPUs
October 24, 2011 11:02:08 PM

Back again so soon,

so I clean my pc out with dust and press power all fans power up but nothing appears (this happens most of the time for some reason) then it says 'BAD OVERCLOCK" so i press F2 to reset to default then 30 seconds on the OS BSOD then press power fans spin nothing appears. Then I think my £900 is broke how do I explain this to my mum lol
So i have reset the jumper looks like I'm at default now.

Why is this PC giving me grief? Should I take it to a shop and tell them?

Specs

AMD 1055t
ASUS M4N75TD
Noctua DH 14
8GB RAM
GTX 460 Sonic Plat
750w Corsair.

My blood pressure has nearly doubled in the past 30min. Really getting stressed!

More about : boot bsod min

a c 151 à CPUs
October 25, 2011 1:07:05 AM

I would first try going into the bios and use the option to reset it back to factory settings and then go and set the memory to the correct timing and voltage since it usually defaults to the SPD timings and 1.5v settings.

Let us know how that works.
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2011 6:55:57 AM

You have 8GB of RAM in the rig? why does the signature show 4GB only? Is it something you forgot t change or did you see it someplace on the rig....
Check that out.
Secondly, remove everything from the rig.
Short the CMOS jumpers, reset BIOS to defaults' remove CMOS battery if nothing else helps.
Use only one stick of RAM at a time while booting.
Check if all the RAM sticks are the same make model and timing. Also confirm that you put them in the right slots as shown in the mobo manual.

Related resources
October 25, 2011 11:42:44 AM

alyoshka said:
You have 8GB of RAM in the rig? why does the signature show 4GB only? Is it something you forgot t change or did you see it someplace on the rig....
Check that out.
Secondly, remove everything from the rig.
Short the CMOS jumpers, reset BIOS to defaults' remove CMOS battery if nothing else helps.
Use only one stick of RAM at a time while booting.
Check if all the RAM sticks are the same make model and timing. Also confirm that you put them in the right slots as shown in the mobo manual.

Yeah I just forgot to change it ;)  So everything has been reset back to default. No bsod as of yet but sometimes i get them 20 times a day, and other times won't get one for 3 months. Maybe it's window's 7. Could it be a PSU problem or a CPU one?
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2011 12:16:47 PM

Could be RAM related; knowing the exact STOP code would help...
October 25, 2011 12:17:39 PM

gamerk316 said:
Could be RAM related; knowing the exact STOP code would help...

When it happens again I will get it :) 
October 25, 2011 5:34:54 PM

it just bsod'ed

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA800C1913B0
BCP2: FFFFF8800FDCC6E8
BCP3: FFFFFFFFC00000B5
BCP4: 000000000000000A
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2011 7:00:24 PM

Ok, BCCode 116 indicates a problem with the GPU. I would do a clean driver install for the time being, though I'm *suspecting* bad VRAM.
October 25, 2011 7:02:55 PM

gamerk316 said:
Ok, BCCode 116 indicates a problem with the GPU. I would do a clean driver install for the time being, though I'm *suspecting* bad VRAM.

DAMN! So what does 'VRAM' mean and does it means a new graphics card? fill me in a little.

Cheers for you help means a ton :) 
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2011 7:03:12 PM

Ok, BCCode 116 is basically a GPU driver timeout; for whatever reason, the driver becomes unresponsive, the OS trys to restart the driver [which has a 10 second timeout], and can't.

This can be due to either a bad driver, or bad VRAM. I would use the latest official drivers [or if you are already using those, the driver previous to that one] and look for any changes.

Anyone know of a utility to test out VRAM?
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2011 7:04:26 PM

VRAM = the Video Cards own built-in Memory. Literally, the RAM on the GPU.

Best case: Driver Problem
Worst case: New GPU needed
October 25, 2011 7:04:39 PM

gamerk316 said:
Ok, BCCode 116 is basically a GPU driver timeout; for whatever reason, the driver becomes unresponsive, the OS trys to restart the driver [which has a 10 second timeout], and can't.

This can be due to either a bad driver, or bad VRAM. I would use the latest official drivers [or if you are already using those, the driver previous to that one] and look for any changes.

Anyone know of a utility to test out VRAM?

As you say that I was prompted to update drivers to the latest Nvida ones. Do you recommend I do?
October 25, 2011 7:06:07 PM

gamerk316 said:
VRAM = the Video Cards own built-in Memory. Literally, the RAM on the GPU.

Best case: Driver Problem
Worst case: New GPU needed

I always have know this GPU to be a little weird. I just preordered £300 worth of games lol. Looks like I will have to wait until xmas. :(  Why does it only happen under certain circumstances?
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2011 7:12:23 PM

^^ Depends on whether its a driver problem or a VRAM problem. If only a single bit of VRAM is bad, its entirly possible it could be stable for a long time. [EG: If the bit always reads '0', and '0' is written to that bit, no problems.]

If its a driver, it could be dependent on what the rest of the system is doing at that point in time. So again, no way to tell for sure.

But yeah, if there is a later driver, update to it. Otherwise go back a version or two. If this happens across multiple driver versions, then its almost certianly a hardware problem.
October 25, 2011 8:32:04 PM

gamerk316 said:
^^ Depends on whether its a driver problem or a VRAM problem. If only a single bit of VRAM is bad, its entirly possible it could be stable for a long time. [EG: If the bit always reads '0', and '0' is written to that bit, no problems.]

If its a driver, it could be dependent on what the rest of the system is doing at that point in time. So again, no way to tell for sure.

But yeah, if there is a later driver, update to it. Otherwise go back a version or two. If this happens across multiple driver versions, then its almost certianly a hardware problem.

So what do I update to because I'm going to updating soon anyway 560ti what do you thing in comparison to the gtx 460 super clocked.
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2011 3:53:06 AM

Go for the 560Ti..... they even have a newer version I think, that's even cooler than the first first few 560Ti's. and of course if you plan to SLI it later..... that would be the ultimate thing....
!