PSU Issue Possibly. Need Help

Devinallday

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
I just built a new PC, this is my first custom build. The issue is that My computer runs for a period of time then proceeds to shut down, sometimes it reboots instantly and doesn't even read as a faulty shutdown (windows had a term for it). other times it just flat shuts down and doesn't reboot itself. It always starts right back up if i manually start the computer and will then run for hours at a time. Ive noticed also it doesn't ever have this problem while i'm actively using the computer this seems off to me because i've been on it for hours at a time. It's not a windows update thing either i'm pretty sure. Also all my temps appear to be pretty good 30c idle haven't gone over 44c although i haven't really done a stress test yet. The only thing that i can think of is that perhaps my UPS isn't capable of powering my 650 watt psu. But i'm not sure. i understand that this issue is pretty vague and could be caused by hundreds of things, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:
Antec 900
GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+
XFX HD-679X-ZDFC Radeon HD 6790
XFX Core Edition PRO650W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
XIGMATEK LOKI SD963 92mm HYPRO Bearing CPU Cooler bracket included I7 i5 775 1155 AMD

imsurgical

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
It does sound like a PSU issue with random shut downs, if it was hardware like memory usually I'd imagine most the time you'd get a BSOD.

I have had power issues before and found after close inspection one of the female ATX pins on my 24 pin connector on my old 850w PSU was bad so I had to re-crimp it and all was well. But because of that I was getting the same problems you were getting.

Although it may not be do to something specific as a bad pin on a connector I would say it is the PSU in my opinion.

And as davcon mentioned try running it straight to the wall, see what happens after some time, if it persists try a surge and go from there.

If the problem still happens that will come down to just inspecting your parts individually but you could, if possible try the power supply in another system and see if it still happens, and if it does and if possible return the PSU and get a new one from XFX if its still covered.

Hope this helps.

Devinallday

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
ya i did that too. It did the same thing. It;s prolly not the surge protector, but I really couldn't think of anything else i'd hate to start calling up all the different manufacturers of my components and get in that circle of blaming other components for my issues.