Sign in with
Your question

PSUs from Dynapower USA?

Last response: in Components
October 24, 2011 11:29:17 PM

Hey everyone, I've recommended some PSUs from Dynapower USA in the past and I've gotten some negative responses.

To be completely honest, I'm actually a marketing assistant for them and I'm just trying to spread the word about them by going straight to consumers. I've seen some people that say "Buy _____ brand over them, they're more well-known" when the fact of it is that many of their products and our products are produced by the same manufacturers! The company has been around for 14 years and I think the reason why we're not as well known is because we tend to focus mainly on B2B and therefore have not done any extensive marketing to consumers.

For those that have heard of Dynapower, what other issues do you think we have and how can we improve?

More about : psus dynapower usa

a c 274 ) Power supply
October 24, 2011 11:39:18 PM

Send samples to legitimate review sites like Hardware Secrets, Jonny GURU and Tom's.
If your products are good there's nothing like word of mouth to get your name known.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2011 12:08:36 AM

^^^ Exactly. If the PSUs are well designed, built and perform, then everyone will know about them from reading PSU reviews from reputable sites like JonnyGuru, HardwareSecrets, Tom's, Anandtech's, etc. The price is certainly right if the products deliver.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 27, 2011 12:14:38 AM

Thanks for the feedback! Have you guys personally tried any Dynapower products? What did you think?
m
l
a c 286 ) Power supply
October 27, 2011 12:27:40 AM

Looking through the dynapower site, one thing that stands out to me is that no combined 12 V capacity is listed, and a brand that wont tell you what the combined power is gets immediately skipped by me because its impossible to tell from the OCP limits on the rails.

Also, what are they rated at? I notice the MTBF is 100k @ 25C like most units, but you dont state what temperature the output capacity was stated for, since all units suffer a derating curve as the temp goes up its important to know if it was rated at 20C, 30C, or 50 C like a high end unit.

Send a unit into a site that does hotbox testing like hardware secrets or Jonnyguru, tom's is not my pick for a good PSU review, but if you don't have any of your units professionally reviewed anywhere we have no idea if you are building around the Deer Firecrack platform or the CWT PSH platform, or one of your own creation, and its also important to know if you are using some cheap chinese 85 C rated caps or some real Japanese or Taiwanese 105 C rated caps.
m
l
October 28, 2011 10:20:16 PM

hunter315 said:
Looking through the dynapower site, one thing that stands out to me is that no combined 12 V capacity is listed, and a brand that wont tell you what the combined power is gets immediately skipped by me because its impossible to tell from the OCP limits on the rails.

Also, what are they rated at? I notice the MTBF is 100k @ 25C like most units, but you dont state what temperature the output capacity was stated for, since all units suffer a derating curve as the temp goes up its important to know if it was rated at 20C, 30C, or 50 C like a high end unit.

Send a unit into a site that does hotbox testing like hardware secrets or Jonnyguru, tom's is not my pick for a good PSU review, but if you don't have any of your units professionally reviewed anywhere we have no idea if you are building around the Deer Firecrack platform or the CWT PSH platform, or one of your own creation, and its also important to know if you are using some cheap chinese 85 C rated caps or some real Japanese or Taiwanese 105 C rated caps.

Thanks for your reply! This was really helpful, I've passed your message to the rest of the company and we'll see if we can address some of those issues :) 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 28, 2011 10:37:45 PM

Hardwaresecrets is my #1 most trusted site for PSU reviews. If they haven't reviewed at least one of a company's PSUs I am wary of their products. Others like JohnyGuru and Tomshardware are good too, and you should probably get products in their hands too.

Hardware Secrets maintains a list of review sites that use oscilloscopes in their review process and I would suggest you get hardware to all of them. It isn't very many, but it is the most important thing in any good review.

- Edit 2 - Here is that list http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/522/7

I haven't used any Dynapower products, but you should definitely have lower amps on 3.3v and 5v rails and higher amps on 12v rails. Combined 12v output, as another person mentioned, is hugely important for people to trust a product.

If you really want to get people's trust, have your company use oscilloscopes on its own products and post it on Dynapower's own website. Make sure QC is good enough that people can duplicate them as well. It goes without saying that power output has to be plus or minus a certain percent (5 or 10, depending on V) and it has to deliver total power equal to the wattage on the box, but I am just going to assume that is true for the moment.

The biggest thing is to just build a better mousetrap. Make a product as good as Seasonic, Antec, and Corsair and make it cost less than their products. People will beatdown a path to your door like that.

- Edit -

Have your guys read this article

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/410

and this one

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Coolmax-V-500-Po...
m
l
January 4, 2013 1:26:01 AM

Very informative article http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Why-99-Percent-o.... The fact that low end power supplies are the main ones that fail, and are absent in manufacturer's reviewable products are interesting. As this seems like a chicken and egg situation, like reviewers will never buy, and manufacturers will always cherry pick what to send, is there any kind of industry quality standard for a max ceiling on failure rate etc.?

Also are multiple 12V outputs preferred over single +12V output? In your link I found that it does, but I am not sure http://www.dynapowerusa.com/dyna/faq/PowerSupply/index....
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 4, 2013 3:33:45 AM

I took a look at some of your units at Amazon. Your prices for bronze units are at the same level as top brand gold units of the same wattage.
m
l
a c 1195 ) Power supply
January 4, 2013 4:08:08 AM

In the 2007, 2008, 2009 time frame Dynapower PSUs had already been known to be firecrackers.

Newegg use to sell Dynapower PSUs but they don't anymore.

Google the UL number E222785 and you'll find some history.

The 1 year warranty didn't speak well to the quality of those PSUs either.
m
l
January 4, 2013 8:37:51 AM

pcnut88 said:
Hey everyone, I've recommended some PSUs from Dynapower USA in the past and I've gotten some negative responses.

To be completely honest, I'm actually a marketing assistant for them and I'm just trying to spread the word about them by going straight to consumers.

Then you should know all about their failures, such as their 400W model shutting down at under 300W. If not, then you work for a company that either doesn't care about the quality of its products or is dishonest.
m
l
!