Question on Bottlenecking

goblinz

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Now I cannot seem to get a straight answer on this, maybe I can probe a bit more here.

I am running:

Intel Core Duo E6850 3.0Ghz
4 Gigs of DDR2 ram
Nvidia 260GTX
800 Watt power supply

now I have been considering upgrading to a Nvidia 560 TI, what I am wondering is will I see some major bottle necking due to my CPU or will I actually see an improvement in my performance?

goblinz

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

Held back yes, but will I still see an improvement over my 260 regardless?

As for resolution I have a single 23 inche monitor and always run it at max resolution.

Really just trying to figure out if it be worth buying and holding off on a "full" upgrade.

goblinz

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

I am sorry it is a 22 inch, so 1680x1050

Ok I may just go ahead and get a new graphics card then. Only issue is if it will fit, my 260 GTX barely fit in my mid-tower. I believe it is about foot long or nearly 12 inchs.

Thanks for the info guys.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
really depends on the game.
crysis 2 is almost unplayable on any dual core processor. it needs a quad core. and so does BF3.

my suggestion is to upgrade to a low end quad core as well, like a q6600. then buy any gpu you want.

BF3 does not use or benefit from a Quad core at all it needs a dual and almost any dual will do, Crisis 2 will benefit from a Quad core but its not a must. Heres the proof:
intel%20core%20i7-2600k%20cores.png

CPU%20Cores.png

Quote from the BF3 test "Battlefield 3's single-player campaign doesn’t care if you’re using a £100 Core i3 or £300 Core i7. It doesn’t care if you come armed with two Hyper-Threaded cores or four Bulldozer modules. It just. Doesn’t. Care.

In fact, after getting a little overzealous swapping out Lynnfield-, Clarkdale-, and Sandy Bridge-based chips, I tried one AMD CPU and decided to call it a day. Any reasonably-modern processor is going to be held back by graphics long before hamstringing performance itself."

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011

that's a good example. If they say it uses for 4 cores it doesn't mean its cpu intensive or it needs 4 cores to run perfectly. I just means its better optimize for it.
But what that graph doesn't show is a older cpu with a older design like the old Intel Dual Cores with a fast gpu playing below a resolution that the gpu can actually do. The question is not will the dual core choke because of the workload of the game but will the dual core choke from not being able to keep up with the gpu.

goblinz

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

So are you saying that my resolution is two low? I am confused now hehe.

As in it will bottleneck or??

goblinz

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Ok so I am guessing, it may just be best to wait and upgrade to a i5 2500k from the sound of it.

Even if I bought a cheap quad they are still about 200-300 bucks from what I've seen on new egg. So I might as well upgrade everything pretty much.