Sign in with
Your question

Question on Bottlenecking

Last response: in CPUs
October 24, 2011 11:47:59 PM

Now I cannot seem to get a straight answer on this, maybe I can probe a bit more here.

I am running:

Intel Core Duo E6850 3.0Ghz
4 Gigs of DDR2 ram
Nvidia 260GTX
800 Watt power supply

now I have been considering upgrading to a Nvidia 560 TI, what I am wondering is will I see some major bottle necking due to my CPU or will I actually see an improvement in my performance?

More about : question bottlenecking

a b à CPUs
October 25, 2011 12:03:51 AM

it really depends on the game itself. in game that only utilize two cores, you will be fine. IN games that require CPU cores, your video card will be help back.
m
l
a c 886 à CPUs
a c 160 Î Nvidia
October 25, 2011 12:19:50 AM

The higher your resolution the more gain you will see as well.
m
l
Related resources
October 29, 2011 4:40:55 PM

dirtyferret said:
it really depends on the game itself. in game that only utilize two cores, you will be fine. IN games that require CPU cores, your video card will be help back.

Held back yes, but will I still see an improvement over my 260 regardless?

As for resolution I have a single 23 inche monitor and always run it at max resolution.

Really just trying to figure out if it be worth buying and holding off on a "full" upgrade.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
October 29, 2011 4:47:41 PM

If thats 1920 x 1080 then a 3GHz Dual core will not hold it back much except a few CPU intensive games.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2011 5:08:53 PM

goblinz said:
Held back yes, but will I still see an improvement over my 260 regardless?

As for resolution I have a single 23 inche monitor and always run it at max resolution.

Really just trying to figure out if it be worth buying and holding off on a "full" upgrade.

in a few games you will see an improvement. if you plan on a full upgrade soon then you can certainly start with the video card, if it will be some time I would just continue with your current set up.
m
l
October 29, 2011 8:33:19 PM

simon12 said:
If thats 1920 x 1080 then a 3GHz Dual core will not hold it back much except a few CPU intensive games.

I am sorry it is a 22 inch, so 1680x1050

Ok I may just go ahead and get a new graphics card then. Only issue is if it will fit, my 260 GTX barely fit in my mid-tower. I believe it is about foot long or nearly 12 inchs.

Thanks for the info guys.
m
l
October 31, 2011 1:44:24 AM

really depends on the game.
crysis 2 is almost unplayable on any dual core processor. it needs a quad core. and so does BF3.

my suggestion is to upgrade to a low end quad core as well, like a q6600. then buy any gpu you want.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
October 31, 2011 10:18:12 AM

BF3 does not use or benefit from a Quad core at all it needs a dual and almost any dual will do, Crisis 2 will benefit from a Quad core but its not a must. Heres the proof:

Quote from the BF3 test "Battlefield 3's single-player campaign doesn’t care if you’re using a £100 Core i3 or £300 Core i7. It doesn’t care if you come armed with two Hyper-Threaded cores or four Bulldozer modules. It just. Doesn’t. Care.

In fact, after getting a little overzealous swapping out Lynnfield-, Clarkdale-, and Sandy Bridge-based chips, I tried one AMD CPU and decided to call it a day. Any reasonably-modern processor is going to be held back by graphics long before hamstringing performance itself."
m
l
November 1, 2011 1:16:46 AM

in crysis 2 , min fps (which are more important) get doubled going from 2 cores to four cores.

so a lot depends on the game.
the bf:bc2 was also cpu dependent. fps jumped when going from 2 to four core.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2011 2:27:18 AM

At that resolution the 560ti will run away from that dual core.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2011 2:33:52 AM

simon12 said:
BF3 does not use or benefit from a Quad core at all it needs a dual and almost any dual will do, Crisis 2 will benefit from a Quad core but its not a must. Heres the proof:
http://media.bestofmicro.com/Y/Z/313595/original/intel%20core%20i7-2600k%20cores.png
http://media.bestofmicro.com/2/5/299453/original/CPU%20Cores.png
Quote from the BF3 test "Battlefield 3's single-player campaign doesn’t care if you’re using a £100 Core i3 or £300 Core i7. It doesn’t care if you come armed with two Hyper-Threaded cores or four Bulldozer modules. It just. Doesn’t. Care.

In fact, after getting a little overzealous swapping out Lynnfield-, Clarkdale-, and Sandy Bridge-based chips, I tried one AMD CPU and decided to call it a day. Any reasonably-modern processor is going to be held back by graphics long before hamstringing performance itself."

that's a good example. If they say it uses for 4 cores it doesn't mean its cpu intensive or it needs 4 cores to run perfectly. I just means its better optimize for it.
But what that graph doesn't show is a older cpu with a older design like the old Intel Dual Cores with a fast gpu playing below a resolution that the gpu can actually do. The question is not will the dual core choke because of the workload of the game but will the dual core choke from not being able to keep up with the gpu.
m
l
November 1, 2011 10:13:57 PM

gnomio said:
At that resolution the 560ti will run away from that dual core.

So are you saying that my resolution is two low? I am confused now hehe.

As in it will bottleneck or??
m
l
November 3, 2011 1:26:31 PM

Ok so I am guessing, it may just be best to wait and upgrade to a i5 2500k from the sound of it.

Even if I bought a cheap quad they are still about 200-300 bucks from what I've seen on new egg. So I might as well upgrade everything pretty much.

m
l
!