HIGH temperatures while gaming

goldenbootz

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Hey guys, so while playing BFBC2 I noticed my temps for my gpu and cpu are really high. My GPU reaches as high as 97 degrees while my CPU reaches as high as 85-87...my gpu is a gtx 580 and my cpu is the i7 2600k. Is this at all normal? My guess is it isn't.

goldenbootz

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
i am using the stock cooler..I'm not sure what the temp is in the room I have my pc in. At idle, the temps seem fine with my cpu at 38-44 and my gpu at 38 degrees. And I have my gpu moderately overclocked.
My specs:
i7 2600k
evga gtx 580
ASrock p67 extreme 4 gen 3
8 gb ram 1866
Case: Cooler Master Scout

First and foremost reseat your cooler those temps are too high for any cpu.
I have no idea why you don't have an auto shutdown.
I would strongly advise you to fix your temp issues before you resume gaming.
Check your cooler first.
Pull on each of the four corners.
If any move it's not properly locked.
Press down hard until you hear a click = seated

Since we're surprised you haven't experienced a shutdown, I have to ask what did you use to measure temps?

Please use CPUID's hardware Monitor (dl from http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/30530-latest-overclocking-programs-system-info-benchmarking-stability-tools.html) and confirm.

It's odd to have both the gpu and cpu have heat problems, especially in that case.

- Do you have the case in a cabinet or something like that?

If so, the ambient tmeperature will rise over time as the same air is asked to absorb more and morre heat. That can cause a rise in temps even if the cpu cooler, gpu cooler, and case fans are working properly.

- Do you have good airflow through your case? Dust, bad wiring, bad fan etc can cause heat build up.

Quickest way to check is to use known loads (like Furmark Torture Test and Prime95) and run them for a set period of time monitoring temps. Then lay the case on its side, remove the side panel, and rerun the same tests. How do the temps compare?

In short, you need to get the temps down. This may require reseating the cpu cooler, installing an aftermarket cooler (should NOT be necessary on a stock 2600k), and taking the heat removed from the gpu and cpu and get it OUT of the case.

In the interim, return your gpu to stock settings for safety.

Yeah we know! your cpu cooler needs to be reseated.
Remove it and either put it back on properly or buy an aftermarket cooler like a CM 212+.
You'll need to reapply paste for the stock cooler =you'll have to buy some if you have none.
I would buy a 212+ which comes with a tube and will fit no problem in your case.
I strongly advise you not to do any stress testing with your pc in it's present state.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

I have another suggestion.
Clear your CMOS and set your mobo bios to factory default.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
checkout your fans rpm (cpu and gpu) if they are at 5000 or more during load and temps are still over 80 then it is due to bad cooling that means you heat sink is not mounted properly,then try remounting it with good quality thermal paste

goldenbootz

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011

Will do man. Just to be sure though, that heatsink SHOULD have no problems fitting my case? I've seen some reviews where people have said it barely fits in the same case that I have

Your case is 8.6" wide, guys put 212+ in cases 7.5" wide all day long.
The 212+ is @ 6.2" tall i have one in a CM 430 Elite which is 7.5" wide.