Computer Freezing Due To CPU?

G

Hello,
My system currently has a (Cheap Brand xTreme Gear PSU) 500W PSU With 550ti Graphics and a AMD Athlon ii X2 at 3.2GHZ. Whenever I play any PC games, even something as simple as Minecraft, will freeze. Whenever I play a Steam game and after awhile something in my PC makes somewhat of a dying noise, like a fan turning off or something, and 30 sec after that happens the game freezes and I need to do a hard reboot. Is the CPU the issue? Does anyone know what the noise might be? Thanks. Sorry if I don't give enough info or if its even in the right category, I'm just now sure what to do right now.

G

Okay thanks for the current info. There is some dust on the fan/heatsink. Would this fix the issue? From what I look at the link it seems that the PSU can handle it. Thanks.

With freezing problems the first thing you should look at is the CPU and GPU temperatures. If they are OK then I would then check that the memory is OK by running a memory test program overnight such as memtest86. Freezing problems can be caused by a bad PSU but substitution of the power supply is the only reliable test.