not sure on case brand

G

i have a case i got at a computer show cheap. i says 812a. thats all. also its called a big tower. it has 6 5 inch bays and 2 3.5 bays. also its 300w. i wanna knwo what type it is. and is it amd or pemtium box?
and how do i know if its k7 or amd certified, or intel for that matter?
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bighead78 on 11/18/00 08:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Your don't have to worry about the case, itself. As long as it's an ATX case, you'll be fine with either AMD or Intel. As you point out, your power supply is the main concern. I'd pull it from the case and look for labels, which may be applied where you can't see them. If there aren't any labels, I personally would get a new PS.

AMD's web site at <A HREF="http://www.amd.com" target="_new">http://www.amd.com</A> will give you PS information. Click on their "support" link and I believe you'll get another choice for technical docs or something like that. I don't know about Intel.

Keep in mind that while it may be "better" to use an approved power supply, it isn't absolutely necessary...as long as it's a good one.

Mike

BTW, I did a some searching for the string "812a" and found everthing from vacuum tubes (lots of those) to an application for post doctoral work in nano-technology. No cases though.

G

well heres what i found from popping it out. its made by l&c technologies inc. its a model: LC-300atx (300w max)
the stickers that i see are ate ok, 4 , murnin test ok, hi pot test ok. also it has the word deer stamped into the side and a warranty void sticker with deer on it at one of the corners (if u take it apart). is this a decent one?

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
If it says "DEER" on the side of the PSU then its a Deer-Lake branded power supply, and then probably a "Super Case" (yes thats the real name of the company... I've seen them at shows too, they're made in taiwan for cheap, and they're not too reliable)... I've even heard stories of those PSUs really frying in the computer under stress...