Cooler Master RR-B10-212P-G1 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
MSI 785GM-E51 Micro ATX AM3 Motherboard
Corsair 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Seagate SV35 Series 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB Video Card
Cooler Master Elite 330 ATX Mid Tower Case
Antec 430W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Samsung SH-222AB DVD/CD Writer

This is my first build and I am trying to get it under $500. What do you guys think? I was thinking of changing the motherboard to MSI 870-G45. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Also, I don't mind investing in a SSD as I can use it later. Will it significantly increase the performance?

The main function of the PC is to work on the internet, writing, emails etc. I will also like to play some old games like Mass Effect, GTA 4 etc. very occasionally.

Solution

Missed the usage part - I was jumbling threads because the connection here...

sonicfantom

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
You might want to take a look at an AMD A8-3850 + HD 6xxx series graphics in Hybrid Crossfire, along with a Socket FM1 mobo. You need DDR-1600 to get good performance with this combo, and it won't run on any OS except Windows 7.

An SSD will have a good effect on your day to day computing (opening web browser, Office, iTunes, etc, will be much snappier), if you can fit a 64GB into your budget, go ahead. 32GB isn't really worth it, considering a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit takes up about 30GB.

With a tight budget build, see if you can get a case + PSU - might save you a few bucks over buying the two separately.

adngalaxy

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Thanks,

But I forgot to mention that I live in India and I am not sure if AMD A8 will be available here. What do you think of the overall configuration?

I am not too sure about the motherboard. Can someone recommend me a good motherboard to go with the system?

You might want to take a look at an AMD A8-3850 + HD 6xxx series graphics in Hybrid Crossfire, along with a Socket FM1 mobo. You need DDR-1600 to get good performance with this combo, and it won't run on any OS except Windows 7.
This would be a great option if it's available. DDR3-1333 is fast enough (don't know what you're using the PC for); there isn't much of a loss between 1600 and 1333.

An SSD will have a good effect on your day to day computing (opening web browser, Office, iTunes, etc, will be much snappier), if you can fit a 64GB into your budget, go ahead. 32GB isn't really worth it, considering a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit takes up about 30GB.
It'll be expensive though. 30GB SSDs are still in the $70-80 range in the US, and I bet it'll be more than the equivalent of that in India.

With a tight budget build, see if you can get a case + PSU - might save you a few bucks over buying the two separately
This usually does help, but the included PSUs are hit or miss sometimes.

If you're in India, how/where are you getting the parts? What is your system usage?

adngalaxy

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
If you're in India, how/where are you getting the parts? What is your system usage?

I will be getting the parts from a local computer shop. They don't have everything available with them. I am quite sure they won't have AMD A8.

Like I said before, I will only be using this system to surf the internet, using microsoft office, a few light programs, and maybe play some old games like mass effect or GTA 4. I am not an avid gamer but I do occasionally feel like playing some games.

How will the Bioware 880 G+ work for this system.

I am just confused with the motherboard part and I just want to make sure if everything is compatible with each other.

Thanks.

Missed the usage part - I was jumbling threads because the connection here is slow and got the posts mixed up.

I don't remember if the Athlon II X3 is an AM3 chip, but I'd still get an AM3 board. There aren't many differences among the boards, so you've got a ton of options. I'd just make sure to get a good brand (Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, ASRock) and one with the ports you want/need. Other than that they'll all perform the same.

Solution