Cooler Master RR-B10-212P-G1 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
MSI 785GM-E51 Micro ATX AM3 Motherboard
Corsair 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Seagate SV35 Series 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB Video Card
Cooler Master Elite 330 ATX Mid Tower Case
Antec 430W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Samsung SH-222AB DVD/CD Writer

This is my first build and I am trying to get it under $500. What do you guys think? I was thinking of changing the motherboard to MSI 870-G45. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Also, I don't mind investing in a SSD as I can use it later. Will it significantly increase the performance?

The main function of the PC is to work on the internet, writing, emails etc. I will also like to play some old games like Mass Effect, GTA 4 etc. very occasionally.

More about : build suggestions

July 27, 2011 1:56:49 PM

You might want to take a look at an AMD A8-3850 + HD 6xxx series graphics in Hybrid Crossfire, along with a Socket FM1 mobo. You need DDR-1600 to get good performance with this combo, and it won't run on any OS except Windows 7.

An SSD will have a good effect on your day to day computing (opening web browser, Office, iTunes, etc, will be much snappier), if you can fit a 64GB into your budget, go ahead. 32GB isn't really worth it, considering a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit takes up about 30GB.

With a tight budget build, see if you can get a case + PSU - might save you a few bucks over buying the two separately.
m
l
July 27, 2011 2:01:34 PM

Thanks,

But I forgot to mention that I live in India and I am not sure if AMD A8 will be available here. What do you think of the overall configuration?

I am not too sure about the motherboard. Can someone recommend me a good motherboard to go with the system?
m
l
Related resources
July 27, 2011 2:44:41 PM

Quote:
You might want to take a look at an AMD A8-3850 + HD 6xxx series graphics in Hybrid Crossfire, along with a Socket FM1 mobo. You need DDR-1600 to get good performance with this combo, and it won't run on any OS except Windows 7.

This would be a great option if it's available. DDR3-1333 is fast enough (don't know what you're using the PC for); there isn't much of a loss between 1600 and 1333.

Quote:
An SSD will have a good effect on your day to day computing (opening web browser, Office, iTunes, etc, will be much snappier), if you can fit a 64GB into your budget, go ahead. 32GB isn't really worth it, considering a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit takes up about 30GB.

It'll be expensive though. 30GB SSDs are still in the $70-80 range in the US, and I bet it'll be more than the equivalent of that in India.

Quote:
With a tight budget build, see if you can get a case + PSU - might save you a few bucks over buying the two separately

This usually does help, but the included PSUs are hit or miss sometimes.

If you're in India, how/where are you getting the parts? What is your system usage?
m
l
July 27, 2011 3:00:11 PM

Quote:
If you're in India, how/where are you getting the parts? What is your system usage?

I will be getting the parts from a local computer shop. They don't have everything available with them. I am quite sure they won't have AMD A8.

Like I said before, I will only be using this system to surf the internet, using microsoft office, a few light programs, and maybe play some old games like mass effect or GTA 4. I am not an avid gamer but I do occasionally feel like playing some games.

How will the Bioware 880 G+ work for this system.

I am just confused with the motherboard part and I just want to make sure if everything is compatible with each other.

Thanks.

m
l

Best solution

July 27, 2011 3:20:07 PM

adngalaxy said:
Quote:

I will be getting the parts from a local computer shop. They don't have everything available with them. I am quite sure they won't have AMD A8.

Like I said before, I will only be using this system to surf the internet, using microsoft office, a few light programs, and maybe play some old games like mass effect or GTA 4. I am not an avid gamer but I do occasionally feel like playing some games.

How will the Bioware 880 G+ work for this system.

I am just confused with the motherboard part and I just want to make sure if everything is compatible with each other.

Missed the usage part - I was jumbling threads because the connection here is slow and got the posts mixed up.

I don't remember if the Athlon II X3 is an AM3 chip, but I'd still get an AM3 board. There aren't many differences among the boards, so you've got a ton of options. I'd just make sure to get a good brand (Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, ASRock) and one with the ports you want/need. Other than that they'll all perform the same.
July 27, 2011 3:46:59 PM

So you think this is a good build for my requirements?
m
l
July 27, 2011 5:47:15 PM

Obviously the system won't be able to handle the games at max settings and the like, but it should run them without any problems.

Internet and Office aren't very demanding, so no worries there.
m
l
August 7, 2011 4:40:38 AM

Best answer selected by adngalaxy.
m
l
!