Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 oem and new motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
July 21, 2012 9:30:11 PM

i recently built my first computer i had a low budget so i got a cheaper motherboard with two ram slots, ddr3 1333 and it only goes up to 8gb, right now i have 4gm of ram installed on my computer pretty soon i will want to upgrade my motherboard cause i want at leas 8gb of ram installed. I installed Windows 7 oem because thats all i could afford. So my question is if i get a new motherboard and get a new copy of windows 7 will i lose everything on my hardrive cause i have all my games and stuff on it and i dont want to lose everything if i get a new motherboard and new windows 7. PLEASE HELP!!
a c 137 V Motherboard
July 21, 2012 9:39:13 PM

You won't really lose the data as long as you don't reformat too, and just reinstall over the old installation, but the programs won't still be installed or anything and settings won't be carried over.

Saved games and other things will still be there though (in a backup folder like Windows.old).
m
l
July 21, 2012 9:59:53 PM

But if the programs wont be installed how will i have my games saved and my progress of the games i dont fully understand
m
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
July 21, 2012 10:10:30 PM

AngryJoe said:
But if the programs wont be installed how will i have my games saved and my progress of the games i dont fully understand

The saved games will be able to be transferred over to the new folders in the new installation, once everything is reinstalled.
m
l
!