4 pin to 8 pin adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

Tell your friend to get a new psu and stay away from Coolermaster.
Their models below the Silent Series are quite frankly junk.
Antec,Corsair,Seasonic,XFX,make the high quality units.
OZC makes good quality units for those on a budget as do Antec,and Corsair.
Alot of people buy really good gear and cheap out on the psu.
Huge mistake.
That particular unit is an older model with a 500w max output,i seriously doubt it's even close to that in actual delivery.
Modern units have the output rated as continuous and the max is usually much higher.
My Corsair HX-750 is listed as 750W continous watts and maxes out over 900w.

I doubt it would boot with a 4pin.
I just went through this scenario recently with an i5 760.
My psu had both 4 & 8 pin the mobo manual said no problem using a 4pin.
Guess what no boot.
Soon as i plugged in 8pin = presto!
Obviously the 4pin doesn't have the required voltage for that cpu which is also 95W like the 2600K.
A 4pin is an old standard for cpu's under 95W.

Tell your friend to get a new psu and stay away from Coolermaster.
Their models below the Silent Series are quite frankly junk.
Antec,Corsair,Seasonic,XFX,make the high quality units.
OZC makes good quality units for those on a budget as do Antec,and Corsair.
Alot of people buy really good gear and cheap out on the psu.
Huge mistake.
That particular unit is an older model with a 500w max output,i seriously doubt it's even close to that in actual delivery.
Modern units have the output rated as continuous and the max is usually much higher.
My Corsair HX-750 is listed as 750W continous watts and maxes out over 900w.

Solution

I know, and as I can see, also its 20 pin and new one is 24. I think that settles it : )

You should try NCIX dude!
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=52176&vpn=M12II%20620&manufacture=Seasonic%20Electronics&promoid=1208
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=57960&vpn=BX80623I72600K&manufacture=Intel&promoid=1208
Honestly i have no opinion on the 2700K yet.
The 2500K/2600K are pretty much where it's at presently i doubt the 2700K will be a disappointment.

Cool! Do u trust them? I never even heard of them to. I shop at local Frys, unless they don't have what I want.

And they have matched everything I asked them. I like it, if something is fried, they exchange for another one, so u don't have to deal with shipping it back.

Good deals on that site. I'll try them to match to that. :lol: /Not

There are 140 watt boards that only have 4 pins. In fact, I have seen 4 pins handle OC's that were drawing 200 to 250 watts on the 12v. So no, its not a voltage problem at all.

Your setup had something else going on. There is no reason for it to have not run.

Thanx Falc0n ,

I'll try it its 500W unit, so over all it has enough power, but the feed might not be enough.
I'll post the results.

That has nothing to do with "modern" units. The better quality PSU manufacturers underrate the output of their units. Yours is a legitimate 900 watt PSU.

NCIX is Canadian, like me,and yes, i've done all my builds with gear from them.
First class operation.
They've had a US site since 2007 but had crap shipping charges due to no facilities in the US.
Warehouse opened this Sept. in Cali.= no more border tariffs.
Wish we had something like Fry's up here though.

The extra 4 pins usually power the PCI express slot. So depending upon board and configuration of your setup, might be able to get away with that too.

I think the Cooler master 500 would work, but I'm with devcon on this one. I wouldn't use it. Im assuming its used and its not the hottest unit to begin with. Especially if other parts of the build are new parts.

You can get some really impressive PSU units in the $40 to $70 range.

I'm not here to argue and you may be absolutely correct.
But be my guest and plug an ATX12V V2.01 into a modern motherboard and tell me what happens.
The power distribution is totally different.

It is not for me, I could just help to a neighbor, and also there is an 20 vs24 pin to deal with an adapter : )

Status
Not open for further replies.