Sign in with
Your question

Best graphic card for a Compaq Presario PC?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 21, 2011 2:13:16 PM

First the info on my computer i speculate.. =O
Compaq Presario PC SR5030NX
Intel Pentium 4 Processor 641 with HT Technology, CPU 3.20GHz
Memory: 1024 MB
Hard Drive: 160 GB
Graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Windows Vista Home Basic it was pre-installed with this but at the beginning of this year i changed it to Windows 7 Ultimate...

I need help figuring out which graphic card is best to upgrade this PC i have to be whipped into shape to handle the modern games of today & tomorrow...

I think this webpage sheds more light on the info of this CPU, if it helps at all in helping me out lol... http://www.amazon.com/Presario-SR5030NX-Desktop-Process...

In advance i thank all who come to my aid, i'm clueless when it comes to graphic cards, so i came to the right place right? :hello: 
a c 140 U Graphics card
May 21, 2011 2:40:13 PM

This page may provide more info.

To be honest, I'd really be looking at a new system rather than upgrading this one.

You could upgrade the RAM to 2GB (2x1GB) with something like this: Kingston Value RAM 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-533 RAM - $32
Your system does have an available PCI-Ex16 slot (given it's age, I assume PCI-E standard 1.0), but with only a 250 watt power supply, I probably wouldn't recommend anything other than a low end graphics card. Something like this MSI HD 4350 - $35. Note that this card is based on the PCI-E 2.0 standard which is fully compatible with a PCI-E 1.0 standard graphics card slot. Newer PCI-E 2.1 standard cards are not fully backwards compatible.

If you're able to upgrade the power supply, then you could put in a more powerful graphics card, but then you need to start looking at your old processor holding you back.

My original recommendation for a new system is still your best option, but if it's just not possible, the upgrades I detailed above should get you a bit more longevity out of your system.

-Wolf sends
m
l
May 21, 2011 8:26:16 PM

You're right a new system is the better way bro, thanks for your advice & time... I have enough money to purchase a new system but that same money is what i'm using to buy my college courses supplies & materials... God willingly in the near future i'll be able to get something like this: http://h20386.www2.hp.com/CanadaStore/Product.aspx?pdet... =D
m
l
!