Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Motherboard inquiry...

Last response: in Motherboards
July 21, 2012 11:33:19 PM

Our modem and router got hit via the cable for the internet. It appears the motherboard in my son's pc may have issues as well since it was connected to the cable at the time of the hit. After the technician tested everything we installed another ethernet cable plugin to replace the one that got fried. After trying to get his monitor, mouse and keyboard to work we discovered the usb ports were all but useless as well. The technician said the motherboard probably will need to be replaced considering the damage we found on initial inspection.

He has this motherboard: (3-Way SLI Support) MSI X58 Pro-E Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFire DDR3 Mainboard

I am thinking to stay with the same motherboard so that everything else that is still undamaged will work with it. Besides being on a budget keeps me from overhauling his rig. The most logical move is to just replace the motherboard to bring his pc up to working condition.

Any comments would be appreciated.

More about : motherboard inquiry

a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2012 11:40:21 PM

sounds like lightening? Im guessing .. usually when something like that happens it takes everything else out with it .. so if your getting it to post thats a good sign .. x58 motherboards are fairly cheap now considering there a generation behind .. you should be able to find a replacement cheaper then what you bought it originally for .. the issue here is that if its an OEM or even a vendor build pc you may have trouble using the same OS instillation disk because of the os being tied to the motherboard this is not always the case just make sure you get the exact same model as you had prior and it should work fine.. however you might want to be prepared to buy windows 7 Retail or OEM .. retail usually gives you 3 instillations where as OEM just one and is tied to the system its installed on.
Score
Related resources
July 21, 2012 11:44:21 PM

Major problem with getting the usb ports separate are that the ones on the system are tied w/the motherboard and my son uses 4 of them at the same time...so am trying to find a replacement of the same board.
Score
a c 435 V Motherboard
July 21, 2012 11:44:49 PM

If your son isn't using the sli option, you may save a little with another board. If you have a separate windows copy (not oem by dell or hp) then you should be able to reinstall windows without many issues. Since x58 boards are so expensive, you may want to consider a refurbished board such as this asus: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SABERTOOTH-X58-.... Here's another msi x58 board similar to yours: http://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/tech4less/X58M?mv_pc...
Score
July 21, 2012 11:45:17 PM

Problem is finding one now...
Score
July 21, 2012 11:51:06 PM

I am looking at his original invoice and it appears he also got Windows7 Home Premium 64 big edition. I've not looked but I thought I saw the discs somewhere. However, the drives are all good and so are the graphic cards...we can boot it up just none of the ports work. Just our luck. I will be speaking with the technician's boss on Monday since he was out today and not available. But this is a great shop and I have had very good experiences with them fixing my quad core.

I'll know more Monday after he gets back and can actually take a look at this. I know he will be straight forward with me and won't try to upsell me. He knows I plan to purchase the parts online so I am looking to see if New Egg or Tiger Direct might have this board. I think I'll even see about contacting CyberPower who built the original system.
Score

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
July 22, 2012 12:38:40 AM

umm that card i listed has 6 ports .. and you would have to have like 2 external hard drives going at full data rate to saturate that if you were using say usb mouse head set and or keyboard that would still not even come close to saturating that cards bandwidth just saying while still using external hhd or dvd burner.... the addon card i mentioned is 7 dollars.. and will work just like the mother board ones .. would there are also optional ones that have usb 3.0 .. you dont need to replace the motherboard just add ports to it.. via pci slot

unless hes just trying to milk you for a new motherboard.. then go for the bait.. hahaha

also make sure you buy some thermal paste if you do choose to switch the motherboard because you will need to reseat the processor .. make sure you clean it with rubbing alcohol before you reapply the compound also..
July 22, 2012 12:50:44 AM

goodguy713 said:
umm that card i listed has 6 ports .. and you would have to have like 2 external hard drives going at full data rate to saturate that if you were using say usb mouse head set and or keyboard that would still not even come close to saturating that cards bandwidth just saying while still using external hhd or dvd burner.... the addon card i mentioned is 7 dollars.. and will work just like the mother board ones .. would there are also optional ones that have usb 3.0 .. you dont need to replace the motherboard just add ports to it.. via pci slot

unless hes just trying to milk you for a new motherboard.. then go for the bait.. hahaha

also make sure you buy some thermal paste if you do choose to switch the motherboard because you will need to reseat the processor .. make sure you clean it with rubbing alcohol before you reapply the compound also..

Actually, the technician said he would feel more comfortable having his boss take a look because he knows more. I agree with his assessment in that because his boss does all the work on my stuff and I have never had any issues. In fact he usually saves me money. So I'll just wait until Monday and chat with him then and see what he suggests. He may even make the same suggestions....I'll keep this info and pass it along anyway ...can't do anything until Monday anyway.
Score
July 22, 2012 12:51:16 AM

Thanks again for the thoughts
Score
August 1, 2012 12:49:01 AM

Best answer selected by lynspottery.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 1, 2012 5:32:08 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!