Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How to know if I plug a usb 1.1, 2 or 3?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 22, 2012 12:16:27 AM

Hey guys! Got a Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H, I know it has both usb 1, 2 and 3.
Now, I have a device that is not yet compatitable with usb 3, does not work on 1. I need to know to which port Im plugging it in, because it's my external sound card.
How do I know which one is usb 1, which is 2 and which is 3, and say I do know, say from the device manager, how do I know to which one I plugged it?
Please help me :) 
Thanks! Have a good day!
B.Q:
For some reason, since I got my new computer, I cant minimize iTunes to taskbar... I know you need to right click it and press itunes, but when I do that, it does nothing. It dosn't let me check it! Anyone know this problem and maybe have a solution for this? :) 

More about : plug usb

a b V Motherboard
July 22, 2012 12:32:42 AM

A modern computer doesn't have USB 1.1 ports. USB 2 ports are backwards compatible with USB 1.1, so you can use that kind of device (though everything by now is 2.0 or higher) but there haven't been dedicated USB 1.1 ports in many years. USB 3.0 ports are backwards compatible with 2.0 and even 1.1. Usually the 3.0 ports are colored blue to distinguish them.

You should be able to plug the sound card into any of the ports, though you might as well use a 2.0 port so as not to take up a 3.0 port with a non-3.0 device.

Best solution

July 22, 2012 12:34:38 AM

USB3 ports are backwards compatible with all USB devices, they are the blue coloured ones and your external sound card will work perfectly fine. There are no 1.1 ports on that board, it says 2.0/1.1 but there are only USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports, Black ones are USB 2 and blue is USB 3.

For your iTunes problem, right click some empty space in your taskbar move to toolbars and check iTunes.
Related resources
July 22, 2012 12:41:41 AM

azathoth said:
USB3 ports are backwards compatible with all USB devices, they are the blue coloured ones and your external sound card will work perfectly fine. There are no 1.1 ports on that board, it says 2.0/1.1 but there are only USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports, Black ones are USB 2 and blue is USB 3.

For your iTunes problem, right click some empty space in your taskbar move to toolbars and check iTunes.

I got the Native Insturments Audio 2, and on usb 2 the sound quality is worse than 3, but on 3 it crackles alot and I have dropouts.
I did exactly that so many times, and it will not ever let me check itunes, I press it and nothing happens. Nothing. At all.
July 22, 2012 2:22:49 AM

Best answer selected by taltool24198.
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 22, 2012 7:42:54 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
!