Asus A8M2N-LA Memory Error

freakdemon

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Hello,
I am working on a Asus A8M2N-LA motherboard that i fully upgraded, was not tested before upgrades but was told it was working. Upgraded is as follows:
1: 3400 Sempron upgraded to 4200 dual-core (yes Asus site says this MB will do it)
2: 400W Corsair PS
3: Nvidia 8400GS video card
4: Installed 2GB DDR2 5300 ram (5300 is max for the MB)

Now what is happening is i get a beep code as follows: 1 long...pause...1long...pause continuous which i have looked up to be a memory error. Now I have tried 16-18 different sticks of ram all ranging from DDR2 4200 512-1gb to 5300 512-1gb and i get the same beep code. I tried changing the cmos battery, resetting the Cmos etc....no change. I have noticed the CPU fan is running very fast on start up but i am assuming that is due to the error and it would slow down upon entering the bios.

Any help with this issue would be appreciated.

If you are using the 89w windsor 4200 then it looks like the board should handle it. First, reinstall the sempron and see if it still works. I rarely hear of a bad cpu but who knows, you may have one. Then enter the bios and reset the fan rpms if you find a smartfan or similar item in the hardware monitor section. It's not the asus site that will give you the upgrade info, but hp, since your bios is made by them and not asus; here's your board info: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00757531#N92

Install just one stick of the original ram in the slot closest to the cpu; It's possible you may have damaged a ram slot. Also be aware that they're two versions of the 4200, one is 65 watts and the older one is 89 watts. Maybe that's the issue.

freakdemon

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Well, as it appears all of the cpu's now work in it......when i looked closer at the socket, someone previous to me got thermal paste on it. I cleaned it and it now works just fine. I usually look for all the hiden things but that i missed until now. And I also had to clean all the cpu's since seating them got thermal paste on the pins. A+ certification and i still find and learn new things.

freakdemon

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Well it's right back to the error code again....well, sometimes no code just fans at high speed....if i install one of the sempron's it boots....then if i go to the dual core it boots, after i shut the dual core down it will not post. Here is the dual core ID:

Model Number ADO4200IAA5DO
CPU Number Athlon-4200

A = Athlon 64
D = Desktop CPU
O = 65 Watt
4200 = 2.2 GHz, 2x 512Kb L2 Cache
I = 940-pin omPGA Socket AM2
A = Variable Voltage - 1.325-1.375V
A = Variable Temperature - 55-68C
5 = 1Mb L2 Cache (2x 512Kb)
DO = Stepping G2, Dual Core, 65nm Brisbane Core

Not sure why it's doing this other than it's a bios issue with the dual core but the MB should easily run that

freakdemon

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012

It's doing it again if you can read my post here and throw around some suggestions, it would eb appreciated.

Try getting a new board battery. The lithium cr2032 "button battery" usually sells for $2-3 at many stores; frys sells a pack of four for around five dollars. Could be the bios is resetting itself everytime you power on; that would explain the fan noise. Whenever you reset the bios, the cpu fan rpms usually rise; my smartfan settings have to be reset to reduce the fan noise.

DavidY

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

A discussion forum on the A8M2N-LA mob:

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/A8M2N-LA.html

There is some discussion about this mobo supporting up to 4x2 GB (most info says 4x1 GB officially...what I have)...not sure about which revision....lurk around for more info? Discussion talk about some support for up to Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (with upgraded PS?).

My bios is 5.07. Changing bios may expand your options...lots of reading needed.

Dave