Sign in with
Your question

Internet Speed Help

Last response: in Networking
September 25, 2010 7:06:56 PM

For about a week now my internet has been very unrealiable and slow. The original speed was:

DownStream Connection Speed 15000 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 1000 kbp

and it now is:

DownStream Connection Speed 6633 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 429 kbp

I was wondering what could make this happen? As soon as I moved my router from on the floor, onto the wardrobe because the room was being redone I noticed a change instantly. I also removed the filter or something which I assume is a filter from it as I thought it served no purpose. My connection is wired and I was just wondering what could make this change. I guess it isn't the location movement because it is wired, not wireless. The only thing I can think of is that the filter magically made it go faster, but whenever I put it on (not sure if I'm putting it on right or not), I get the internet connection with the yellow warning sign on it on my taskbar.

Any replies are appreciated, thanks.

More about : internet speed

September 25, 2010 8:40:46 PM

What kind of "filter" are we talking about here? You mean a DSL filter? Sounds to me like the removal of a DSL filter (if that's what it is) could be an issue.
September 25, 2010 8:54:59 PM

Yes it is DSL
Related resources
September 26, 2010 5:47:21 AM

calasmere said:
Yes it is DSL

[#0005ff]That filter is quitening the line noise which affects the DSL signal even if you can't hear it when you make a call. It's important and without it, you might not be able to use the telephone and be online a the same time. The only thing I can think of that happened when you moved the router is that some piece of loose wiring became better so maybe you had a loose plug somewhere or perhaps a kink in the telephone line - perhaps it had been stuck under a piece of furniture and is now straightened out.[/#000ff]
March 10, 2012 6:06:09 AM

If you unplugged your modem while moving it, it may have just been a bad connection to your ISP.
Otherwise it may be a "bad" cable or port on your router as Saga Lout suggested.

The filter itself cannot make a difference in your internet speed. It can only "clean" your phone line from noise coming in if it's too noisy. Filters have an RJ11 male jack on one side and a female RJ11 socket on the other and are used on wall sockets where a phone is connected.

A splitter has a male RJ11 in one side and two female RJ11 sockets on the other, one for your phone and one for DSL. Some splitters also have a filtering ability, and are used where you have a phone and DSL modem together. Best practice would be to connect a modem on a separate wall socket than from a telephone.
Filters do have an "expiry date" and may stop working at some point.
A filter or splitter is not mandatory for your internet connection to work.
March 10, 2012 6:45:56 AM

Quote:
http://www.deleted[/url" target="_blank">

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

If you're going to post into a long dead necro thread, why not cut out your middle man's link and suggest going straight to
http://www.speedtest.net.

Doing it your way might make our Moderators think you're advertising for profit. :D 

" target="_blank">

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

If you're going to post into a long dead necro thread, why not cut out your middle man's link and suggest going straight to http://www.speedtest.net.

Doing it your way might make our Moderators think you're advertising for profit. :D 

!