5770 output to old TV w/ component cables issue

vmars4eva

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Been working on this for several hours now and scouring AMD/ATI help for more information, but could not find anything...

I am trying to get my Radeon 5770 (which is crossfired with a second 5770) to output to my old CRTV, a Magnavox 20" 4:3 TV. I bought an adapter that fits onto one of my DVI ports and splits out into component (my TV has component inputs, A/V inputs, and an S-Video input). This is the adapter: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OFG2LG. It has a variety of switches, from 480i to 480p to 540p to 720p to 1080i to 1080p.

I have tried effortlessly to get it to work.... I plugged in a set of component cables from the adapter to my CRTV and have tried every TV/AV input on the TV to get it to work. The good thing is that I know a signal is coming into the TV from the computer, because the extended desktop of my PC displays when I flip to the inputs on the TV for a brief second before my screen goes blank. I have tried every switch from 480i to 720p to see if it will work, but nothing. I tried duplicating the screen from my primary LCD monitor at 600x800 and 1024x768 (and a couple others higher up at 1280, etc.) at each of the resolution switches, but nothing. Up to 720p, my desktop displays on the CRTV for that brief second and then vanishes.

So, anyone have any idea on what is going wrong? I think I need to first figure out what resolution setting the TV is and also what to set the adapter to. My laptop can output to the TV's S-video fine, and it outputs to 1024x768 max.... But is this also the setting of the component output? Is there something I need to toggle in Catalyst before my card can output to a TV? For reference, my Catalyst does not recognize a second monitor.... But if a I got to "extend" view using Windows+P, it does create that second desktop and can move windows there... But cannot see on the CRTV.

The problem for me is not related to having a second monitor - my main LCD Monitor is a 25.5" Samsung at 1920x1200, and I have a second LCD Dynex 19" at 1440x900. I just really, really want to be able to use my CRTV as my second monitor though (and even as a third monitor, if that is even possible), and explain below why. I have somewhat separate issue with my GFX card that the CRTV was supposed to fix.... I will try to describe briefly here (my relevant issue at the moment though is this CRTV problem).... First, my system specs:

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 gb 7200 RPM SATA 3.0G/bs 16 Mb Cache
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 790X ATX Mobo
Corsair 650 Crossfire-ready PSU
8 GB G.Skill RAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE OC to 3.4Ghz (standard CPU cooler)
Two Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1GB PCI Express 2.0 in Crossfire

All my games, no matter what, seem to have a small stuttering problem with the graphics. The stuttering is any time I look around with my mouse in a game and hover over a new object or a moving object - the frames-per-second jumps around a lot. Sometimes things are buttery smooth at 60 fps if nothing in the scenery is changing, but any time there is a significant change in scenery or I drastically move the mouse, the framerate stutters and jumps down to 35 fps or lower for a second or two. This happened in games before I got a second HD 5770 card, and happens after. Or in Portal 2, if I set a new portal, everything is fine but if I hover my mouse over a new portal, the game goes from buttery smooth to I am guessing about 25 frames per second while I am hovering over the new portal. The problem is not the low fps as much as it is the distraction of the extreme reduction in visual fidelity. It can really take me out of the game. It happens especially in Bioshock 1/2, Just Cause 2, Grand Theft Auto 4, Darksiders, Metro 2033, Dead Space, Crysis 1, Dragon Age Origins, and Bulletsorm. It also happens in Serious Sam First Encounter/Second Encounter HD; for comparison I got the gold edition versions of the 2001/2002 originals, and the same thing happens. I feel that it cannot be a GFX card problem if the less demanding versions of a game from 2001 have slowdown in the same exact places as their HD 2009 versions - it is any time I shift my view more than 90-degrees in any direction, the framerate jump is at least a 15 fps degregation for about 1.5 seconds that can be really distracting. Is this normal for any game for the framerate to jump around this much? Whatever the reason, I cannot play these games anymore with such stuttering framerates - it completely takes me out of the experience. One friend suggests that my bottlekneck is my low cache on my hard drive (and all these play from my hard drive), another says that it is my CPU.... I think it might be my monitor, my Samsung 25.5", which is only 60htz and the response time is 5ms. I also sit really close to the monitor.... Is my monitor making the slightest hiccups in games too distracting? I figured that playing my games on a CRTV with an XBOX 360 Gamepad would eliminate the problem because I find CRTVs to have much smoother visuals.... Also I am figuring that the lower resolutions should prevent hiccups from dipping below the 40 fps mark, which for me is unacceptable. Or it could just be my own vision or the way I perceive things.... I may be perceiving visuals in games in a different way than others where a jump in fps completely takes me out of the experience and disorients me. Really difficult to play Crysis 1 because of this.

Sorry, this post in a way is two separate issues - if anyone has any advice for either of both, I would greatly appreciate it! I am thinking about jumping to consoles now because of this if this is just how PC games play.... I borrowed my buddy's PS3 and played a few games he has that I also have on my PC such as Portal 2, and the stuttering issue is just not there, and I am much more into the games because of it.

Thanks!

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011