Left shoulder button on GBA SP doesn't work anymore

Last response: in Video Games
June 25, 2005 10:17:40 AM

The left shoulder button on my GBA SP doesn't work anymore... I can
sometimes make it work if I press really hard on it at a certain angle, but
that might work 1 out of 10 attempts.

I've ordered a tri-wing screwdriver. I'm hoping that I'll be able to fix
the problem in the same way that I used to fix my Atari 2600 joysticks--I
simply open up the device and move things around a bit, jimmy the thing with
a tiny piece of cardbord until I can get it working again.

Does anybody else have any other advice?
June 28, 2005 3:20:53 PM

"HIT Fanatic" <coblgp@nospam.com> schreef in bericht
> The left shoulder button on my GBA SP doesn't work anymore... I can
> sometimes make it work if I press really hard on it at a certain angle,
> but that might work 1 out of 10 attempts.
>
> I've ordered a tri-wing screwdriver. I'm hoping that I'll be able to fix
> the problem in the same way that I used to fix my Atari 2600 joysticks--I
> simply open up the device and move things around a bit, jimmy the thing
> with a tiny piece of cardbord until I can get it working again.
>
> Does anybody else have any other advice?

Send it to nintendo u.u
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 1:06:09 AM

"HIT Fanatic" wrote in message
> The left shoulder button on my GBA SP doesn't work anymore... I can
> sometimes make it work if I press really hard on it at a certain angle,
but
> that might work 1 out of 10 attempts.
>
> I've ordered a tri-wing screwdriver. I'm hoping that I'll be able to fix
> the problem in the same way that I used to fix my Atari 2600 joysticks--I
> simply open up the device and move things around a bit, jimmy the thing
with
> a tiny piece of cardbord until I can get it working again.
>
> Does anybody else have any other advice?

Hi,

I've been in that area as I once had to replace one of my SP shoulder pads.
(The button, itself, was fine though.)

Anyway, the buttons themselves are enclosed switches (L-SW4, R-SW3). The
button's actual contacts are enclosed so shouldn't have become dirty or
corroded. What I would expect is that the one or more of it's solder points
have become open. As you'll clearly see once you remove the PCB, stress
from excessive (or even extensive) force can easily break the buttons away
from the PCB. If I remember right, I believe each button had four solder
points on the underside of the PCB. I would just check their continuity and
reflow them as needed.

Cheers,
-E
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 7:14:49 AM

> I've been in that area as I once had to replace one of my SP shoulder
> pads.
> (The button, itself, was fine though.)
>
> Anyway, the buttons themselves are enclosed switches (L-SW4, R-SW3). The
> button's actual contacts are enclosed so shouldn't have become dirty or
> corroded. What I would expect is that the one or more of it's solder
> points
> have become open. As you'll clearly see once you remove the PCB, stress
> from excessive (or even extensive) force can easily break the buttons away
> from the PCB. If I remember right, I believe each button had four solder
> points on the underside of the PCB. I would just check their continuity
> and
> reflow them as needed.

Thanks for the advice. I got a tri-wing screwdriver in the mail and I
opened the GBA SP, I didn't see any of the solder points broken (at least to
my naked eye), no I tried cleaning some of the grime from the PCB and put it
together again. The left shoulder button now is worse off and the right
shoulder button doesn't work as well as it did before! I feel kind of
crummy knowing that the fact that I opened by SP made the problem worse, but
maybe this problem was bound to happen anyhow--you can't break something in
this way unless it is brittle.

Not all is lost, I am using my wife's SP (which she has never used anyway)
and I have a Gameboy Player on my GAmecube. I just wish I still had the
receipt for my SP so I could get it replaced under warranty.

The thing about my SP is that I used it as my main gaming device and carried
it pretty much everywhere I went and I suppose it did go through it's fair
share of abuse (I carried it in my jeans pocket, dropped it a few times,
etc). Now I'm extra careful with my wife's SP--making sure that I place it
in its carrying case when it's not in use. This does prolong the life of
the device but I lose the conveninence of simply folding it open and playing
_Defender of the Crown_ on PocketNES at a whim. I could enjoy all the
arcade classics of my youth whenever there was a lull in my day: commuting
on the bus, rebooting a computer in the server room at work, waiting in line
at the post office, etc.

Perhaps "gaming on the go" should not be this convenient and perhaps my
being careless with my SP in order to get gaming whenever I felt like it was
making me appreciate video games less.
!